Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 RTL-E, 28K and 27 months old. Speed about 50-55 mph going downhill, foot off the accelerator and the trans will downshift. This happen about half the time. I've gone down the same grade and sometimes it downshifts and others it doesn't. Vehicle is always at normal operating temperature. It will happen in normal or economy mode..

Doesn't appear to have a service bulletin on it or so the dealer has informed me.

Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
25 Posts
It's just engine braking. How have you never encountered this before? Normal for modern automatics. Since your foot is off the gas the car assumes you are not trying to accelerate. It will downshift to keep speed in check somewhat while going downhill.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
144 Posts
I thought that odd, also. My '03 Pilot doesn't down shift unless you're wanting (braking) to slow down. I'd think it would be more economical like that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Grade logic? There should be a reference to it in the manual. Here's a discussion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I take advantage of the automatic downshifting all the time. If I am going between stop signs and only need to go a block or two I will accelerate up to 35mph or so and then just let off the gas and will barely need the brake by the time I get to the next stop sign.

I think there is some logic to it where if you are maintaining speed in a certain gear and left off it will let it coast in that gear for some time, but it might only be in the upper gears. I haven't really kept too much track of it because it behaves quite similarly to my old Tundra so I feel like I'm kind of used to it after a small adjustment. I just wish the down shifting was a bit smoother like my Tundra. I guess the way the transmission is built it feels a bit more like a standard with that little bit of a surge to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts