Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my 2008 Ridgeline in Dallas for the last 8 years. No off-road or towing. Light hauling on local streets & freeways. I'm ready to buy a 2017 model. Will I notice a difference if I buy the less expensive 2-wheel drive option?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Possibly better MPG, some reports of "Hesitation", when accelerating & turning, lower towing capacity & possibly lower resale, down the road & your limited to purchasing an RTL-T or below both RTL-E & BE are AWD only.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
You are exactly the customer they released the 2wd model for. One who doesn't need it and really asks themselves if they do need it.

Steve

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Personally I would not touch a FWD Ridgeline with a 10 foot pole.
I strictly would get AWD in any SUV/CUV vehicle.
It's a $1,900 difference in price with AWD option. I am still baffled why Honda went FWD route with Ridgeline. As said before they can get away with it in the MDX & Pilot a bit more. The hit you will take when you get rid of the vehicle most people are looking for 4WD/AWD trucks. A car/minivan is different than a pickup truck. Just my opinion but gutting a G2 Ridgeline of it's Torque Vectoring AWD capabilities is robing this truck of one of it's key attributes.
But I would read the press release kit of the G2 Ridgeline carefully Powertrain section to be specific. It's AWD enhances handling and AWD aids in traction.
Dallas area is not immune to heavy rain or snow storms adverse weather you may need that AWD in some point. Last year at this same time Washington, DC was dealing with the Snowzilla storm Jan22-23 across the area 1-3 feet of snow fell. DC in the city got 20inches some other areas got near 40inches.
Now that snow just doesn't get plowed of goes away that fast.
So a good AWD for getting out and about later and parking on mounds of snow/ice/slush. Normal FWD might get stuck and they did so you may wish you had that AWD with.
You have a 4WD Gen 1 Ridgeline and that system has been working for you in the time you have had it. Remember these systems in Ridgelines are basically automatic. So they are working without out us doing anything.
If on a budget I would go for less expensive AWD model and forget about some other features.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,332 Posts
FTM1 did good job with the cons for 2wd.

For the Pros:
Lighter weight means better fuel mileage, better acceleration (assuming good traction) If you keep you truck for 150k and get 1mpg better thats around $850 less gasoline cost.
Thats with gas at 2.50 a gallon. 2mpg better? Double those savings.

Lower initial cost. Sure resale will be lower but if you find the right buyer (shouldn't be too hard in your southern area) you shouldn't loose that much more than the initial lower cost.

Less cost for routine maintenance and less chance for an expensive repair. The rear diff and the transfer case need routine fluid changes. If you keep your truck for 150k miles figure on doing this service about 5 times. DIY is cheap but if you have the dealer do its thats probably $1000-1500 additional cost of ownership. Honda's awd system seems to be pretty reliable but the parts are not cheap should they need replacement: transfer case, propeller shaft, rear diff, axles, sensors and control unit etc.

Its too bad Honda didn't actually make use of the space that the absence of the AWD system creates. The trunk could be MUCH larger / some sort of underfloor storage / seat stowaway in the rear of the cabin.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I like the 2017 Honda Ridgeline Alex on Autos Test Drive Review long
When he gets into the meat & potatoes diagram and explanation of the G2 AWD System.
Also he said $1,800 option for AWD I said $1,900

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live by the coast and never seen snow here in 10yrs. But I still bought AWD. even if I only use the AWD once, I'll be worth it to me. I did take my son to play in the snow at the in laws last month. Got my money worth already. But the AWD system is so much more than just driving in snow. I see a lot of guys drive FX4x4 F150 around here just to tow a Jon boat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts