Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all you guys say that the caliper slides should be greased yearly, I took the wheels off the other day to do so. My truck has only been driven for two years, so I thought it wouldn't be that big a deal.

When I took off the fronts, the pads came off pretty easily, as I've come to expect with untroubled cars. For all four wheels, each pin had maybe a tip-of-the-pinkie-sized dab of grease on it when I removed it. I added some to each one. BUT, when I got to the rear pads, I could not remove the inboard pad on the passenger side just with my hands. It was so rusted or frozen in there that I had to hammer it out with a screwdriver tip placed on the backing-plate edge. The inboard one was kind of hard to get out too. So I filed off all the rust and kept going until they would go in and out of the caliper pretty easily. The driver-side pads were just barely to the point of having to be hammered out too. I put anti-seize on all the tabs, so things should be okay for a while.

Anyway, just thought I'd convey my part of this story.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Bert,

Whenever working on Japanese vehicles, you always have to factor-in the rust.....that gawd awful corrosion that dendritically grows on any unprotected metal.:)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
After reading all you guys say that the caliper slides should be greased yearly, I took the wheels off the other day to do so. My truck has only been driven for two years, so I thought it wouldn't be that big a deal.

When I took off the fronts, the pads came off pretty easily, as I've come to expect with untroubled cars. For all four wheels, each pin had maybe a tip-of-the-pinkie-sized dab of grease on it when I removed it. I added some to each one. BUT, when I got to the rear pads, I could not remove the inboard pad on the passenger side just with my hands. It was so rusted or frozen in there that I had to hammer it out with a screwdriver tip placed on the backing-plate edge. The inboard one was kind of hard to get out too. So I filed off all the rust and kept going until they would go in and out of the caliper pretty easily. The driver-side pads were just barely to the point of having to be hammered out too. I put anti-seize on all the tabs, so things should be okay for a while.

Anyway, just thought I'd convey my part of this story.
I had the same problem with my 07, had to replace the rear pads as one was worn pretty bad, had the same problem with rust, the pads would not slide on the caliper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts