Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up a beater car as a 3rd vehicle to have around. I found a 2002 Civic EX/5 speed locally that a buddy of mine has (he runs a Honda repair shop and sells used vehicles he fixes up).

I think this one has around 120k-ish miles on it and has a "Jap" engine (whatever that is). Apparently the previous owner killed the original engine by letting it run out of oil when it had a leak from the drain plug or something like that.

Anyway, this guy seems to do a pretty good job on the stuff I've had him do. So I think he will give me an honest assessment on this vehicle.

Are there any known gotchas on the 2002 Civics?

·
Administrator
17,318 Posts
I'm aware of some automatic transmission failures, but that's all.

I'd be interested to know more about the "Jap" replacement engine. I wouldn't want any engine model that wasn't original to the car, but maybe that's just me because I like to keep my vehicles exactly the way the rolled off the assembly line.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Here in CA, the common replacement is to go with a replacement Japanese sourced engine. Many vehicles there have low miles since the islands are so small. They can crate quite a few and ship them here as replacements. I've gotten one and I know a few others here who have gotten them, and as for keeping it "exactly" as it rolled off the assembly line, that's nearly impossible with a used vehicle, Reman parts, Non OEM Brake pads and such, the only way with 13 yo vehicle is if you know the previous owner and exactly how they maintained it?

If you trust the shop, and the work they do, and the price is right, go for it....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts