Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word to the wise. If you are shopping for a 2006 Ridgeline with Navi, be sure to write in your deal that you are to receive the latest DVD; which is version 4.31. Our Ridgeline was manufactured in early Sep, but we didn't receive it until a few days ago. Yep, it had the older version DVD (4.13) in it. Luckily, our dealer agreed to provide us with a new version DVD, but had we not pushed the issue and checked then we would have been SOL. There isn't a very big difference between 4.13 and 4.31, but when you are buying new you want the latest. Plus, our new Accord has 4.31 and we wanted our vehicles to match.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
SmokyMtnRidger said:
Just a word to the wise. If you are shopping for a 2006 Ridgeline with Navi, be sure to write in your deal that you are to receive the latest DVD; which is version 4.31. Our Ridgeline was manufactured in early Sep, but we didn't receive it until a few days ago. Yep, it had the older version DVD (4.13) in it. Luckily, our dealer agreed to provide us with a new version DVD, but had we not pushed the issue and checked then we would have been SOL. There isn't a very big difference between 4.13 and 4.31, but when you are buying new you want the latest. Plus, our new Accord has 4.31 and we wanted our vehicles to match.

Hope this helps someone.
Great move on getting the latest Navi 4.31 update with your purcahase.

They have stated that there are updates in the 4.31 that accommodate the back-up camera. When you have time could you look and see if there is any mention of this in the Menu or elsewhere? There are a few others that are interested in this feature.

Also, I beleive there would be a good deal of difference in the Map data from the last 4.13 version.

My 4.13 shows gas stations that have been gone for 4 years or more and new roads missing that are 3 years old now. We would hope these things would be updated by now.

Congratulation on your wise purchase. You picked the right accessories.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Also, I beleive there would be a good deal of difference in the Map data from the last 4.13 version.
My 4.13 shows gas stations that have been gone for 4 years or more and new roads missing that are 3 years old now. We would hope these things would be updated by now.
From my experience with Garmin systems, the data, while always much newer than the last version, will never be completely current. Remember, there are literally millions of data items that go into the making of a map set and they must be collected from many differnent sources. By the time all this is done and the data is compiled into a CD, it is already out of date. Plus, the quality of the data depends on the sources submitting it, allowing for more inaccuracies.
The manufacturers of GPS equipment do not compile their own map data. It is sourced from companies that specialize in that sort of data.
Apparently, from what I have read here, Alpine does not provide software updates and map data updates separately. Garmin provides software updates free via downloads from the internet while map data CDs are sold separately. When first released they are $150, but if I wait a few months, they can be bought on the internet for much less.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Webwader said:
From my experience with Garmin systems, the data, while always much newer than the last version, will never be completely current. Remember, there are literally millions of data items that go into the making of a map set and they must be collected from many differnent sources. By the time all this is done and the data is compiled into a CD, it is already out of date. Plus, the quality of the data depends on the sources submitting it, allowing for more inaccuracies.
The manufacturers of GPS equipment do not compile their own map data. It is sourced from companies that specialize in that sort of data.
Apparently, from what I have read here, Alpine does not provide software updates and map data updates separately. Garmin provides software updates free via downloads from the internet while map data CDs are sold separately. When first released they are $150, but if I wait a few months, they can be bought on the internet for much less.
Thanks for the good information. From other posts on this subject I have suspected the value of paying $185.00 for an update. Hopefully those that have the 4.31 version will give some input on it's worthiness.

I have this BIG problem of wanting every new toy out there that is new, innovative, superior and technologically advanced. :(

Thats why after shopping around for a new truck I bought the Ridgline. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
This may be a dumb question, already covered somewhere,
But....How would I go about checking the version of my map disk, DVD, thingy ma bob? :confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I tried to get this when I took delivery on Saturday, and the sales guy said that he could only give me the DVD that came with the truck.....I should have pushed harder but not sure the new update makes that much of a difference......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts