Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, new to the forum but in dire need of help. on the 2006 ridgeline, all door speakers stopped working. this is the basic model or system as far as i can tell. I assumed there is no way that all 4 speakers blew at the same time so its time for a new head unit. replaced it and still have the same issue. No sound from all the door speakers. Faint sound from the dash speakers only. Does anyone know if there is an amp in this model year ridgeline? or any earthly clue while all door speakers would not function? I bought the wiring harness from crutchfield so all was plug and play. except there was no freaking play :(
any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,886 Posts
Is your interior fuse #5 good? (ignore the red highlighted items)

RL fuse interior box VSA.png

·
Super Moderator
22,886 Posts
Seems like it has to be something basic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I just have a hard time believing all door speakers are blown. Could be I guess but I was looking for a common fault that could cause this for example an external amp

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Stock did not come with an external amp. Did someone install one? Is there any evidence of a previous audio "upgrade?"
Or did someone break in and steal your crappy stock speakers and then put everything back neatly?:)
Otherwise it is hard to figure what could be wrong. The wires go directly from the head unit to each speaker (except that the front left and right signal splits between door and dash tweeter) soa wiring problem would be hard to imagine particularly since you hear the front tweeters. All door speakers blown as unlikely as it sounds would explain.

I don't know if a short in the speaker wiring would cause the whole amp of the head unit to shut down (on both the stock and now after market unit) but you could check for continuity to ground on those wires. Also could remove all door panels and disconnect all speakers and then reconnect one by one to see if some will work and if so find the speaker (wire) that is causing trouble.

You could also pull a door panel and test with a known working speaker.

BTW, stock speakers are total junk; particularly the dash tweeters. Replacing with even modest $ units will reap great rewards. Read the stickied "how to pimp your factory sound" thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I am SUREEEE someone broke in and stole my stock speakers. Good to know there was no stock amp that was my first guess. Second will be a shorted speaker causing the head units to shut down. I will do some more investigating. Thx for the help.

·
Super Moderator
22,886 Posts
I agree with the above advice to recheck all connections and make sure you're not missing a ground somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
If you don't have multi-meter, the easiest way to test if the circuit between dash and and speaker is intact: use an AA or AAA battery at the pig tail end of the wiring adapter you bought. Polarity doesn't matter, just touch (for example) left front - to one battery terminal and touch the left front + to the other. If the circuit is complete and the speaker voice coil isn't open, you'll hear a POP. Repeat the process with the other 3.

Putting long term DC into a voice coil isn't good so touch the wire(s) to batt terminal quickly. You'll know right away if it works or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts