Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline that left my brother on the side of the road. He had it towed to my house where it stayed for a month the truck would turn over but seemed like it had no compression and wouldn't start. I have had a few people look at it and they say ceased motor but it turned over the week before (they tried to turn by hand)and couldnt move it. to me I thought maybe timing belt. I pulled the coil packs and spark plugs and just replaced because they were shot. but wondering if anyone could tell me any possibilities it could be something other then ceased

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Few things to consider
  • Ensure that the vehicle is in park or neutral (need a key to shift into neutral)
  • double check that the timing belt is intact and in one piece
  • remove the front bank valve cover to ensure there is traces of oil
  • check for oil in crankcase using the dipstick
  • ensure that the battery is fully charged or jump it when attempting to start
If all the above check out and

- Engine cranks but wont fire up and keep running.
a) Either you are not getting fuel or spark. If the immobilizer system is active, then it would prevent you from starting the vehicle.
b) could be a faulty crank sensor or wiring.
c) ECU may be at fault
d) IMOES unit could be at fault and keeping the immobilizer system active.
e) all/some of your spark plugs and/or coil packs are bad (but you seem to have changed them out)

- Engine wont even crank
a) no power to the starter: check fuses and wiring.
b) faulty ignition switch

If the truck sat for a month without even having anything done to it, be cautious when starting. Give us a timeline and events surrounding your brother becoming stranded. Hope the truck was well maintained.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The truck started to over heat when I drove across town (5mins) I ran the heater to keep from over heat my brother needed to use the truck I don't know what he used it for but I do know he drove to my sister's (15mins) from me,then to my moms (15 mins) however he said while driving on freeway it just stopped so he has it towed to my house then it just sat there. I have replaced the spark plugs and coil packs because the middle was shot but yes there was oil I have alll new parks for truck

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
If the truck overheated, then either there was inadequate coolant in the system, or the thermostat did not open. We have an issue called SMOD, this is where the ATF pre-warmer built into the bottom of the radiator fails and the ATF fluid and coolant mix to produce a liquid that resembles strawberry milkshake.

If the engine was left to overheat for a while, even 15min is too long, the pistons would essentially melt and eventually stick to the cylinder bore. Severe damage to the engine block occurs and that point, you either junk the engine, or you repair it. However, I would not bother with repairing it, if the damage is severe as it affects the integrity of the crankshaft and also the bearings. Since the engine block is all aluminum, the time and money spent in inspecting the integrity of the block is a waste.

When the engine does seize, it wont crank and neither would it have any compression. You can pull the cylinder heads or put a boroscope through the spark plug and see how it looks on the inside. However, nothing beats pulling the cylinder head and inspecting each cylinder. Since the rear bank hides by the firewall, the engine needs to come out for that.

Replacement engines for these trucks are not that expensive, considering the vehicles that it was shared. Since you have a 2006 ('06-'08 similar) you can source that engine, or similar, from a junkyard or any other Honda/Acura cousins. I would advise an experienced mechanic to look at the engine and provide you a full diagnosis as we, behind a computer screen, cannot diagnose much.

Best wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts