Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my notice today for the passenger side dashboard airbag inflator recall. I hate to have them mucking with the dash. :|

I wonder if they are going to replace all inflators, one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,095 Posts
Yep, Got my letter today also.

Back on the Merry Go Round...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,165 Posts
I got the letter for the Pilot yesterday. I had the passenger inflator replaced about a week prior.

I have not yet received the letter for the RL passenger airbag. I must have been lucky the shop was able to get one in for me and they replaced both driver and passenger side at the same time.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Is there a reason why they took longer to send it or decide it should be changed?
A couple of months ago, my vin number showed nothing pending with Honda.

It just seems strange to recall the older ones after the post 2007.

This one is easier or maybe faster, it's all done by removing the glove box and from there they have full access to it, not a big dash intrusive action, I will have to just make sure I clean up and bundle or my non factory wiring around that area, my USB cable Connectors I have in my glove box to keep it out of the way and keep them from messing with them.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Same here. I called before getting the letter but confirmed thru Honda Owners Link that my 06 was in the recall.

Waiting for the part to arrive. Hope that 5SDude's cubby cover will not be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,095 Posts
I got the card in the mail on 07/05/16

I called the dealer on 07/06/16

I got a call last night my part has arrived, 07/11/16

I'll be dropping it off tonight 07/12/16 and picking it up tomorrow, 07/13/16

·
Super Moderator
7,095 Posts
UPDATE:

Well overall I have to assume that the "Passenger Airbag" has been replaced.

But they were in full "Stealership" Mode this morning.

Service Writer (SW) Called @ 9AM, "Mr. Carsmak, I'd like to inform you that the Airbag is completed"

ME "Good, I'll be there about 10am to pick it up"

SW "We'd like to go over a few things that need to be completed on your truck"

ME "LIKE WHAT"

SW "your drive belt needs to be replaced"

ME "Seriously, Last year, less than 10k miles ago the Timing Belt was replaced, didn't they replace the drive belt at that time?"

SW "I don't know, Who did the Timing Belt?"

ME (Blood Boiling by now) "UHHGG, YOU GUYS!"

SW "Oh, I'll check into that"

ME "What else did you discover, that I need" (I'm pressing now because I want the full BS Job)

SW "By 85k/11 Years, We typically recommend that the coolant needs to be replaced"

ME "ARE YOU KIDDING ME, WHAT WORK WAS COMPLETED WITH THE TIMING BELT, THE COOLANT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRAINED AND FILLED AT THE TIME, YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR RECORDS AND THEN MAYBE CALL ME BACK, ANYTHING ELSE"

SW "Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid Needs to be changed"

ME "I changed the Brake Fluid and the Power Steering Fluid last year, Any other items you'd like to recommend blindly"

SW "SIR, THE CV BOOTS ARE LEAKING, AND YOU NEED NEW CV BOOTS"

ME "Which CV Boot, Passengers Front?"

SW "All CV Boots should be replaced, because the Front Passengers Side is leaking"

ME "I'll be down to pick it up in a 1/2 hr, have it ready, I'll skip on your recommendations"

I miss my old Service Writer, new guy is an idiot. I'll be talking to the Service Manager this afternoon when I stop on my way home.

EDIT: I picked it up 15 minutes after the phone call, "They were surprised that I was EARLY" ;)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sad thing is that many people will trust the dealership and follow along blindly. :act002:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,165 Posts

Service Writer (SW) Called @ 9AM, "Mr. Carsmak, I'd like to inform you that the Airbag is completed"

ME "LIKE WHAT"
Here's what I don't understand about the shop's approach to a customer in this scenario (and I've had it happen to me too). IMO, they could easily disarm the situation by approaching it from the perspective that the owner may well know a thing or two about the maintenance requirements on the affected vehicle. And if they take the time to scan their records for any prior service beforehand, they could earn bonus points.

"Mr. Carsmak, according to our records, you have not had the brake fluid changed at our shop in the last 3 years. Honda recommends changing the brake fluid every 3 years. Have you had that service perfomed elsewhere or would you like us to perform that service for you today for $79.99?" etc.

Instead of coming out and telling the owner about all these services they think need to be done, change the approach to ask if the owner knows if the service(s) has/have been performed recently.

That way, if the owner knows, he can respond appropriately and the SW can move to the next item without appearing to be an idiot selling services that do not need to be done.

If the owner doesn't know, then there's a good opportunity to sell the service (whether it needs to be done or not).

Worst case, the vehicle gets over-maintained and the owner is out some extra cash. Best case, the owner actually knows the maintenance status of his vehicle and can respond knowledgeably and both parties can move on without issue.

Speaking of over-maintaining a vehicle, I'm SURE that none of us would EVER do that. <tongue-in-cheek mode> But hey, at least that's a deliberate choice rather than a guilt imposing money grab. >:)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
UPDATE:

Well overall I have to assume that the "Passenger Airbag" has been replaced.

ME "LIKE WHAT"

SW "your drive belt needs to be replaced"

ME "Seriously, Last year, less than 10k miles ago the Timing Belt was replaced, didn't they replace the drive belt at that time?"

SW "I don't know, Who did the Timing Belt?"

ME (Blood Boiling by now) "UHHGG, YOU GUYS!"

SW "Oh, I'll check into that"

ME "What else did you discover, that I need" (I'm pressing now because I want the full BS Job)

SW "By 85k/11 Years, We typically recommend that the coolant needs to be replaced"

ME "ARE YOU KIDDING ME, WHAT WORK WAS COMPLETED WITH THE TIMING BELT, THE COOLANT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRAINED AND FILLED AT THE TIME, YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR RECORDS AND THEN MAYBE CALL ME BACK, ANYTHING ELSE"

SW "Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid Needs to be changed"

ME "I changed the Brake Fluid and the Power Steering Fluid last year, Any other items you'd like to recommend blindly"

SW "SIR, THE CV BOOTS ARE LEAKING, AND YOU NEED NEW CV BOOTS"

ME "Which CV Boot, Passengers Front?"

SW "All CV Boots should be replaced, because the Front Passengers Side is leaking"

ME "I'll be down to pick it up in a 1/2 hr, have it ready, I'll skip on your recommendations"

I miss my old Service Writer, new guy is an idiot. I'll be talking to the Service Manager this afternoon when I stop on my way home.

EDIT: I picked it up 15 minutes after the phone call, "They were surprised that I was EARLY" ;)
Sounds like the dealer I went to, They told me I need new sway bar links, mine are new I just replaced all four about a month or so ago, they told me I need new tie rods, my truck only has 80k on it tie rods are good, I guess dealers just don't think anybody knows anything about there vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on my experience, it seems that the service people at dealerships are somewhat like doctors. They get so hung up on their records that they fail (or refuse) to see what is in front of them. This leads to all sorts of unnecessary tests, recommendations and treatments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone else being told that the parts for the recall are not available?

The stealership, link ordered the parts for me in July and before I could schedule the work they returned the parts. Now they have been on order 41 days and tell me that they cannot provide a date that the work can be done.

I love my truck, but I'm about done with Honda after this airbag recall bull****.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Any paper work, assuming I need to sign before the service, I will write no other service wanted, just in case.

Question:

They are replacing the airbag or just the inflator? I was told by a person in the part of a local dealer that the inflator is under the front seat.

Does anyone can confirm or clarify this?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
It's what she said, I called again to see if I could get a different person but no luck, I will try later.

I did not believe it and searching a bit it does not make sense that it would be under the seat. Shame on her, or maybe she is misinformed, but a little support would not hurt. :|

To make it more interesting, the other day, they told me that they do not need to remove the glove box. Or touch it, but again different genders transmit the information in a different way and that is what happens when we do not speak to a tech or service adviser.

I think it is a bit funny, honestly

added, I found a picture, it is not for Honda but I think it represents, the way the Ridgeline is, the inflator is the cylinder with the yellow stripe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I got my first recall letter last November about the driver's side airbag. In February of this year I got a recall letter on the passenger side air bag. Both letters said parts were not available and Honda would contact me when the parts were in.

I had my truck in for service in late November and they said there was nothing yet on the airbags. A week later I was in the dealership and made a deal on a new G2 with delivery schedule for late December.

I stopped in the dealership today and told my dealer I couldn't consciously sell my G1 with outstanding recalls so the deal was off. Right away she was like 'let's go talk to them in service'. The service writer looked it up and told me to hang on as he went and checked with parts. He came back a few minutes later and asked "what day next week do you want to have this done?" I booked it in for Wednesday.

I asked him about the process and he said on the driver's side they pop the steering wheel cover and replace only the inflator. Same on the passenger side, they pop the top of the dash and replace the inflator.

I was also told my Canadian pearl white Touring has been built and is in shipping, scheduled to arrive here December 29.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Well, same dealer took care of mine, all 3 recalls, blower motor harness, driver and passenger inflators

The driver's side I ordered it way before I got the notice, it took about 6 -8 weeks, they called me and within a week I had and appt to have it replaced, thanks to the forum, then I got the notice a month or more after, and I ignored it, the passenger inflator news, came up about a week after my vin number was checked by a different dealer, where I buy my parts, and told me nothing was due, yes I buy parts from a small closer dealer to me and the recalls were done by huge dealer. I think I also found out about the passenger inflator here on the forum, I decided to wait for the passenger side, even though I could have ordered it, I had to clear the area ( wiring and, USB cables etc) to have it ready for them and in the process I got the notice but I let it go a few months before I called, it took a similar time frame, they ordered it , then they called . I purposely tested them just to see what would happen, they left a voicemail saying to call them back like 9 weeks after I called and they ordered it, and I did not call them for about 4 weeks, once I called them I expected to brush me off or say, " we called you a month ago blah blah, we need to order another one etc". But no, they told me they had it and they had an opening in 3 days to take care of it. This tells me they special order them and are probably assigned to each vehicle, it may depend on the dealer and the area but I was happy, they held it for 4 weeks since they never attempted to call me again.

Very busy dealer, nice cup of coffee made by a fancy coffee maker, in the waiting room with several types on the menu to choose from, no other services sold or recommendations even when the 15% B oil change error was blinking.
Busy dealer having enough business, not needing to upsell or sell service, I guess.

I took a look under the dash dropping the glove box, and the new inflator cylinder is like a semiclear plastic, the one removed was metal, as long as it works and does not fail, it is all that matters.

I'm sure every dealer has their own way do this or is instructed by HOnda how to order, stock or have priority based on the area, and factors like humidity that influence the potential inflator failure.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sadly, in Canada we are at the mercy of Honda (and the other manufacturers) as there is no legislation in place to force auto makers to follow through on recalls as there is in the U.S. We're lucky that auto makers usually deal with recalls on a continent basis so we tag along with what happens in the U.S. and benefit from their recall requirements.

That could change though as there is currently a bill before the Canadian Senate for recall legislation and giving Transport Canada or Industry Canada or somebody some teeth against the auto makers.

Strengthening Motor Vehicle Safety for Canadians Act

1 - 19 of 19 Posts