Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The issue:

Drivers' side brand new $300 honda OEM outer CV boot is flinging grease 100miles into installing 2" lift kit... Do I need to rebuild the brand new axle?? is this just the way it's going to be? Are these boots going to blow up at 80mph on the highway bc of the lift?

Work done in the last month: drivers side front CV, rebuilt passenger side CV, Rebuilt Steering Rack, tie rod ends, 2" lift kit (front and back), lower control arms, got an alignment, and wheel bearings

As a side note, I had a MISERABLE time getting new/rebuilding my CV's. both front CV's were soo seized in the knuckle/hub a 20 ton press couldn't get them out nor the Honda Dealership. Had to get a replacement axle and knuckle from a junk yard and just start over. Hoping someone has some insight here, heavily debating just putting my tail between may legs and taking off the lift and getting another alignment... that would really bum me out

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
2" lift shouldn't be an issue with stretching boots. Check to make sure that they are secured in the proper locations on the shaft and hub spindle, they should not be stretched out to the max even at full downward travel. If they are secured in the right spots and still stretched, might want to check to make sure you are using the same length shafts and joints that came off the chassis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm suspecting that the outermost clamp (closest to the wheel) doesn't come from Honda tight enough to handle the additional angel

Thinking of buying grease and a new boot clamp and just trying to make the brand new boot fully seal. if this is going to be a continuous problem with a 2" lift I'd very much considering just taking the lift off unfortunately

·
Registered
2011 RTL
207 Posts
I've had my lift for a few years now and have had no leaking issues. I did have to replace my front axles due to vibrations afterwards, one rather quickly and the other a year or so later but they were also the original axles. I still had a slight vibration on accel until I installed the HRG subframe kit last week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my lift for a few years now and have had no leaking issues. I did have to replace my front axles due to vibrations afterwards, one rather quickly and the other a year or so later but they were also the original axles. I still had a slight vibration on accel until I installed the HRG subframe kit last week.
Thanks for the input!

are you running a 2" lift with the provided 2" lift sway bar end links AND the HRG subframe lift in the front? This definitely sounds like the right option for the health of these axles lol

Update: I removed and rebuilt the brand new CV axle with a boot kit :,) Now both larger inner CV clamps are leaking out grease. Looking for alternative tighter clamping methods

Thinking of trying to use these -> https://www.amazon.com/CLAMPS-Repair-Leaking-Cruiser-4Runner/dp/B07QLGLT2R

·
Registered
2011 RTL
207 Posts
Yes, I'm running the Truxxx lift that came with the sway bars and have added the HRG subframe lift/drop, however you want to look at it. And look for specific cv boot clamp pliers. The manufacturer I work for whines about us replacing axles under warranty but we always have problems with the clamps holding after rebuild even with special service tools. The Honda axles didn't come with an over-the-counter parts warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm running the Truxxx lift that came with the sway bars and have added the HRG subframe lift/drop, however you want to look at it. And look for specific cv boot clamp pliers. The manufacturer I work for whines about us replacing axles under warranty but we always have problems with the clamps holding after rebuild even with special service tools. The Honda axles didn't come with an over-the-counter parts warranty?
Good to know on, I can likely see myself doing the same Subframe kit and getting realigned just to alleviate some of these axle issues

On that brand new honda axle, a boot was unfortunately torn upon intal by the looks of it... was flinging grease and I'd found a small cut. I called the honda dealership about it and they said a cut in the boot (likely from the bottom of the strut) was not a warranty-able item and even if it was they'd have to have me bring them the broken axle then ship me a new one leaving the thing non-mobile for like a week... I just went for the rebuilt option

Any boot clamp typles/tool recommendations for tightening up my leaking boots Converted1?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts