Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased an immaculate 2006 Honda Ridgeline with the only known problem being the absolutely poor radio FM/AM reception. Here are the truck specs below:

Model: RTL w/out NAV
Mileage: 38,000
Radio: 6-CD changer and OEM radio.

My Experience
There is only 1 FM radio station (104.9) that barely works, while the rest are mostly static with some light background music. I have noticed that when I am in Boston, the reception then starts to pick up a couple more stations, such as 94.5 and 107.9, with poor reception/static.

Findings
  • There seems to be plenty of posts regarding poor reception while going over bumps.
  • The radio antenna architecture is stated to be poorly designed, seen here. This link also states that "TSB 07-079 fixes poor radio reception", but there isn't much information on this service bulletin.
  • I took the dashboard off and verified that all wiring was connected. I then took the roof breaklight/antenna metal cover off and verified that all wiring was connected. With the radio on and the metal cover off, reception was no better on any station.

Pictures

Radio wiring

Roof antenna (soldering connections seem fine, could I run a test here?)

Questions
  • Does this just seem like an antenna issue?
  • Would a shark fin, new radio harness, or some kind of radio booster help? I may have not provided enough information to back this.
  • Even if I installed an aftermarket pioneer radio, the reception would still be poor, correct?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,601 Posts
I heard there was a signal booster under the liner on the rear window where the antenna is hidden. I have a new 2014 SE and having the exact same issue looked after this Thursday at the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey jonesbb630, would you happen to know if this amplifier has a fuse # (update: I think it shares the radio fuse, so that is out of question), if the headliner has clips (I would like to take it off to get to the amplifier, without breaking the headliner), and if there has been any solutions to your current problem (come this thursday)? Thanks for the help!

Edit: If it may be the amplifier/booster problem, I did find this link that talks about the blue antenna wire not being connected to the 12v red switched wire on the wiring harness adapter. I guess my next steps would be to check the above statement and then possibly replace the amplifier if not working after blue wire connected.

Does anyone have any service info on any of the questions above?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bewards: do you have any more pictures of the RL antenna? I have a cap on my RL and thus the whole center brake light/antenna area is covered and I can't easily get to it. I have experience designing mobile antennas and am just curious if there is something simple that can be done to improve it. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Th issues with the antenna have been with the harness that runs up the right A pillar through the headliner I believe. Although the connections look good, there is a defect in the RF connector. The only solution is replacing the harness, a pain in the butt job. Also note that Honda's recommendation is that if you remove the cap over the antenna / high mounted brake light, you replace the plastic clips. If not, there is an increased chance of the cover flying off under speed ( and often in the car wash.)
I have the noise on bumps and occasional poor reception and often not so great reception but I am in no mood to start removing the liner and pillar trim.
Good luck, hope it turns out to be something simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts