Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alarm on my ridgeline for 3 months has been going off unprovoked, randomly, spontaneously for no reason what so ever. I bought the car used last november in Tampa, Fl and have since moved to Colorado. I've taken the vehicle to Planet Honda in Golden, Co 3 times to supposedly have the problem fixed. The first time they "fixed" the issue they ordered and replaced the passenger side rear door latch assembly--- after their diagnosis they determined that faulty part was the cause.

Few days later after the truck was almost towed by my boss because the alarm was going off in the office parking lot like crazy I took it back to the service department at Planet Honda. They then additionally diagnosed a faulty drivers side front door switch and replaced it saying that the problem was now fixed.

Not fixed, same problem.... After hearing complaints from other businesses that share my office parking lot and then getting calls from the police (not sure how they got my number) I saved the car from being towed again and took it back (100 miles each way) to the Hinda dealership and they then finally witnessed the alarm go off in their service department and with a replacement of the passenger side rear door lock actuator told me with 100% confidence that the problem was solved.... NOT SOLVED. -That was last Friday and this past Sunday was awoken by the alarm going off and my neighbor banging on my door.

My service guy (not the technician) couldn't believe it. He basically indirectly said he has no confidence that they can fix the problem. He suggested I call corporate Honda. I called corporate Honda and gave them the long history. the manager from my region of Corporate Honda just called me and said they wont reimburse me for anything..... not gas costs.... not part/labor costs.... nothing. The dealership wont reimburse me for the parts they replaced saying that their diagnostic machine said they needed to be replaced even though I only authorized them to fix the problem I was having with the vehicle. The only thing the Corporate Honda dealership said I can do is to take the car back to the service department of planted honda who has no confidence anymore that they can fix the problem.

After speaking with the sales manager who sold me the car in Tampa, Fl of course the only thing he could "do" for me is come back to tampa and he can do the best to "get me out of the car and into something else"..... The Ridgeline was my dream vehicle and I am S.O.L

Has anyone had this problem with their Ridgeline??? -and can give me advice???

2006 ridgeline RTL 102,600 mi

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
In most vehicles, the usual suspect is the wiring in the door hinge. Thousands of door open/close operations cause metal fatigue and a wire inside will crack. It will just crack a little, then a little more... and spend years in a state where will can maintain enough current in the circuit almost all the time, but occasionally break the circuit or at least let the current drop too low.

It can also affect power window and lock controls too, but the alarm is the main thing that is sensitive to a momentary break in the electric circuit.

Question for those with a service manual: does the Ridgeline have door wiring that could be affected in such a way?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem. They replaced three parts, one at a time, until it stopped. Two were the underdash fuse box and the underhood fuse box; can't remember what the third was, but having all three replaced did the trick for me....

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Reposted here:

Take note of this comment in the FSM:

A switch that is slightly misadjusted can cause the alarm to sound for no apparent reason. In this case, a significant change in outside air temperature, the vibration of a passing truck, or someone bumping into the vehicle could cause the alarm to sound. There is no glass breakage or motion detector feature.

From here:

This may also be useful:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your service department has ZERO troubleshooting ability and are unable to read the simplest of manuals.

Otherwise, I'm sure they are a great outfit. (whose story needs to appear on the evening news) Call up your local consumer troubleshooter TV show.

----------

You can probably figure it out for yourself with the diagram and instructions provided. Hood switch is a common problem, because of corrosion up there. Could just be alignment as well.

Start by checking the doors to see if you can make the interior light come on by pushing / pulling on the doors. Works best around dusk, or in a darker place. Inspect door switches for snugness / corrosion around the screw that holds them in. Jiggle the hood, tailgate, to see if it's got any 'slack' or does it go into alarm with the tiniest provocation?

I had corrosion around the rear door switch, which prevented it connecting to ground reliably. Buffed off the corrosion, put some grease on the screw, snugged it back up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. They replaced three parts, one at a time, until it stopped. Two were the underdash fuse box and the underhood fuse box; can't remember what the third was, but having all three replaced did the trick for me....
was is the body control harness, this information would save my life. I just got the car back from the dealership and they cant figure it out .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Throwing parts at a problem is bush league. That's what your service department is doing to you. I had a good friend who was a mechanic. He was great at doing tasks (ie, change out this alternator) however he was awful at diagnosing problems. When he eventually bought the shop where he worked and had to diagnose problems, he would do the same thing--guess and throw parts at the problem. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to do what your dealership did to you and tell his customers "too bad, so sad". He had to keep working on the problem, often at his expense. Needless to say, he lost most of the customer base and eventually went out of business....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts