Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some earlier posts along these lines, but nothing was said about my specific combination of issues. Some one did mention GM cars would do this with security problems. My boyfriend had taken my Ridgeline to a nearby store, and it was dead when he tried to start it. He walked home, had called AAA and our mechanic, setting things up. I remembered that I had had a similar problem, in the same store parking lot, where when I tried to start my car, dash lights working, emergency horn blaring, and engine dead. After great frustration, I got out of the RL and kept trying to stop horn honking by repeatedly pressing the remote unlock button. Nada. Then I calmed down some and pressed the remote again one time, and it shut off the horn. Got back in, and it started right up. I was never really sure what I had done to cause this.

So when boyfriend came into the house, saying RL was dead, and no, the horn hadn't started shrieking. It did jog my memory tho, and when he went to drive his car back over there, I told him to try the remote unlock button. He did and the truck started right up when he tried it again. He said the only thing he could think of was the door was still open when he tried to start the RL before. So my conclusion is that it was a security measure to stop a theft, or a safety feature because the door wasn't closed all the way. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE WHO IS CURRENTLY TEARING THEIR HAIR OUT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read some earlier posts along these lines, but nothing was said about my specific combination of issues. Some one did mention GM cards would do this with security problems. My boyfriend had taken my Ridgeline to a nearby store, and it was dead when he tried to start it. He walked home, had called AAA and our mechanic, setting things up. I remembered that I had had a similar problem, in the same store parking lot, where when I tried to start my car, dash lights working, emergency horn blaring, and engine dead. After great frustration, I got out of the RL and kept trying to stop horn honking by repeatedly pressing the remote unlock button. Nada. Then I calmed down some and pressed the remote again one time, and it shut off the horn. Got back in, and it started right up. I was never really sure what I had done to cause this.

So when boyfriend came into the house, saying RL was dead, and no, the horn hadn't started shrieking. It did jog my memory tho, and when he went to drive his car back over there, I told him to try the remote unlock button. He did and the truck started right up when he tried it again. He said the only thing he could think of was the door was still open when he tried to start the RL before. So my conclusion is that it was a security measure to stop a theft, or a safety feature because the door wasn't closed all the way. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE WHO IS CURRENTLY TEARING THEIR HAIR OUT!

Oh yeah, my RL is still going strong with 122K miles, very few problems over the years.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've had that happen on every vehicle I've ever had actually. All Makes and Models.
Seems to be a simple weak signal or a minor glitch.
Usually I take it as a sign to change remote batteries and check out the vehicle battery. If it's close to date, I replace.
Many small glitchy issues can be resolved with a good battery. Of course following proper procedures help too. :)

My 09' has 125K and not one single issue.
The wife did leave the key on overnight and drained the battery. I had to use a normal battery charger to get the volts up so my trickle charger would do it's thing.
Disulfide and trickle charge is the way to go as I still have my OE battery.....lol.

Thanks for the heads up BTW :)

Reactions: Claudja
1 - 3 of 3 Posts