Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RTL with 298K miles. I have done regular timing belt changes, oil changes, it is well maintained. Yesterday the truck started to develop a rough idle. Would not start, but finally did after about 5 or 6 attempts. After it started it had a rough idle still, would run fine above 1200 RPMs, stayed this way for about 4 restarts. When started the 5th time it developed a definite miss at the tailpipe. Pull plugs on motor, had normal wear with no signs of problem, plugs had over 96k miles so I gone ahead and changed them. Restarted same issues. Tried to restart again and it would not start this time. The fuel pump starts and cycles ok, battery is new. if driven in this condition the VTM light will come on. Seems to be a problem with the idle circuit or timing control. HELP!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Code reader would give you the best information on where to start. But if you can get the engine started try disconnecting one coil pack at a time. If the idle drops worse than before that cylinder is ok. If you disconnect a coil and the idle barely changes. This is the problem cylinder. You can test the coil pack by grounding the pack where the bolt secures the coil pack down and rest the threads of the spark plug on the engine. Turn the engine over and check for spark. Would be worth doing a compression test at this point if you have a tester.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
If the truck is cranking but not starting, it's not getting the right amount of air, fuel or spark. Sounds like it could possibly be a fuel or ignition issue. Have you ever cleaned or changed the fuel injectors? Are the coil packs original? Maybe you have a clogged fuel line somewhere or even a clogged pump (even though it still sounds like it cycles). You could possibly have a bad tank of gas, too. So many factors could go into this that it's hard to know where to start.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case anyone has this issue later down the line this is what I did to fix the issue. Adjusted valves and found several tight. EGR valve was bad, so replaced that, this solved the missing. Changed throttle body and reset computer. Now it runs like a dream. Throttle body was just worn out. This is the first time I've changed the throttle body but I believe there might have been one already changed on it because of the gaskets. But she's up and running again!!!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
When you say the TB was worn out, do you mean that it was simply too dirty to fix?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts