Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 RTL, 78k on the clock and oil in #4 cylinder- I have read some other threads on this issue. Started with a rough idle, check engine light and fouled plug. CEL is off now, but roughness is beginning to return, (granted, it's -5F here right now). After all I have read, I'm just wondering if ultimately the final answer will be an engine replacement or if there have been issues like this resolved by a new head and gasket? It goes in to the dealer tomorrow for repair. Pretty disappointed that a Honda motor with 78k might need replaced.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Honda Accord Oil Defect Class Action Lawsuit

UPDATE 1: Honda has agreed to a class action lawsuit settlement in this case. Details on how to file a claim coming soon.

UPDATE 2: This class action settlement now includes other Honda vehicles, including the Honda Accord, Odyssey and Crosstour. Details on how to file a claim to receive reimbursement for repair costs can be found here.

A federal class action lawsuit claims that 2008-2010 Honda Accords have “a systematic design defect that enables oil to enter into the engine’s combustion chamber.” The defect causes excessive oil consumption, premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction, the lawsuit says.
The Honda Accord class action lawsuit says the systematic design defect may be the result of numerous things, including a material defect, workmanship of the vehicles’ valve guide seals or piston rings, or a flaw in Honda’s VTECT variable engine-timing system.

“Hundreds of complaints concerning this defect appear online, including at least 130 complaints on www.carcomplaints.com referencing the 2008 Accord alone. Numerous complaints are available on other websites too, including the complaints forum of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (‘NHTSA’),” the Accord oil defect class action lawsuit says.

The Plaintiffs allege Honda has known about the Accord oil defect for a long time, but continues to actively conceal the defect from consumers and deny there is a known problem.

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1713-honda-accord-oil-defect-class-action-lawsuit/

:

Wouldn't it cost less in the end to just proactively use a good "customer treatment model" to retain existing or spawn future sales growth opportunities?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
2006 RTL, 78k on the clock and oil in #4 cylinder- I have read some other threads on this issue. Started with a rough idle, check engine light and fouled plug. CEL is off now, but roughness is beginning to return, (granted, it's -5F here right now). After all I have read, I'm just wondering if ultimately the final answer will be an engine replacement or if there have been issues like this resolved by a new head and gasket? It goes in to the dealer tomorrow for repair. Pretty disappointed that a Honda motor with 78k might need replaced.
Is this truly cylinder #4 or is it really #5?

Sorry to hear of your problem. And I'm surprised to hear of this class action lawsuit. Perhaps there will be some help here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely #4 that has oil in it. It was the first plug I pulled, although, it was NOT loose. #5 was very loose as I didn't even need to torque it loose, I just backed it out with the extension in my fingers.

·
Super Moderator
23,584 Posts
Wow. Well, I certainly hope Honda steps up to the plate and helps you out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We shall see. Any idea on my original question? Has a new front (4,5,6) head and gasket fixed this issue or is it the consensus that it is most likely a cylinder defect?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just today I got the 10 year unlimited milage settlement papers for my son's 2008 Civic. My wife's 2010 Accord is also supposed to be getting one soon for the eco cylinder oil burn thing. I've always been rather lucky with cars and have had no issues with any of them but it's nice to know Honda is stepping up somewhat.

·
Super Moderator
23,584 Posts
We shall see. Any idea on my original question? Has a new front (4,5,6) head and gasket fixed this issue or is it the consensus that it is most likely a cylinder defect?
I really don't think there's an answer to that until they tear into your engine and see what the damage is.

Please keep us posted on the process. Best of luck to you dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Another huge problem is dealer service. Some will say engine if needed or not. They're not putting a head on and having to worry about seeing you again even if it's a bad gasket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I just bought it in March and have an excellent extended warranty so if the say "new engine" and the warranty covers it, I say, "OK".

·
Registered
257 Posts
Definitely #4 that has oil in it. It was the first plug I pulled, although, it was NOT loose. #5 was very loose as I didn't even need to torque it loose, I just backed it out with the extension in my fingers.
Not loose and oil may be a new occurence here. Someone else can confirm, but the reports so far have been loose plugs and oil. Damn, that means I need to check them all - LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sounds like head gasket and maybe new rings for #4. Teardown is still underway. Will update, but not impressed so far.....oh, and the dealership says they have NEVER seen a Ridgeline with engine problems. NEVER!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The second time I've read about this issue happening to members in the short time I've been on the forum. I'm thinking about selling my 2006 rtl before I'm posting about this happening to me....

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The second time I've read about this issue happening to members in the short time I've been on the forum. I'm thinking about selling my 2006 rtl before I'm posting about this happening to me....
People only post when something goes wrong. Many 175k+ RL's out there and some +300k's. I've got 114 k and I have 0 doubt about making it to 200k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thx for the info. I've been proactive and did the radiator and changed the plugs at 90000. I can't afford an engine. I may do the timing maintainance early too.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Just north of 34,500 of us talking about our Ridgelines. If you have read of this issue twice then you would have to be very careful about just driving because more than 2 have been in accidents during that time.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just north of 34,500 of us talking about our Ridgelines. If you have read of this issue twice then you would have to be very careful about just driving because more than 2 have been in accidents during that time.
I feel the anxiety of the poster you're responding to in this post. If I just bought an RL and immediately saw two threads about the same issue with RLs that were identical to mine, I get jumpy pretty quick, too. None-the-less, you just made me chuckle. :-D

And you're right. VERY few issues for the number of RLs on the road.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would at least inspect your spark plugs, it sounds like they could possibly give you some insight to whether or not trouble is lurking. Start with the front bank, they're easier to get to anyway. I wish I had before I bought it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts