Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife said she noticed the temp gauge "getting close to the H" while stopped and idling at lights. But that it'd move back down when moving.

I checked the coolant and overflow reservoir was empty and the rad was down below the top of the internal fins.

Added coolant to the rad and filled the reservoir to MAX.

Couple of days later, reservoir was below MAX but still above MIN.

In total, have added about 1/2 to 2/3 of a gallon of honda coolant.

Oil looks good, wife says she hasn't seen any white clouds when starting and I don't see any leaks on the garage floor.

Have 223K miles, about 1500mi past due for it's 2nd timing belt and water pump replacement. :/

Had radiator replaced with Spectra and tranmissing rebuilt in March 2015 @ 169K due to SMOD.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have a head gasket check done. That wold be my first thing to start with. Basically something that attaches to top of radiator with a special liquid in it that turns color with the presence of combustion gases. You might be able to rent one. But I would call a local shop and see how much they charge. It is not always 100% definitive but it would be a start.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Could just ba a small hole in the radiator or a bad hose too.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,094 Posts
I have noticed that Honda vehicles, in general, go through some coolant over time. If I don't check mine for 6 months or so, it will go from my normal fill level of about 3/4 of the way up to the max line to just above the low line which equates to approximately a half quart of fluid. My wife's old 05 Accord and my mother in law's 03 Accord did the same thing when we had them. There was no evidence of a leak anywhere nor was there ever an internal issue. The radiator caps were in good condition and made good seals, too. I truly don't know where that coolant goes whether it just evaporates somehow over time or whatnot, but it happens. I've just kept some Type 2 coolant handy over the years and topped off as needed.

For your truck to lose THAT much coolant in a relatively short amount of time, there may be a slight pinhole leak somewhere. Check all of the clamps on the hoses and the radiator cap, too, to rule out those points of egress. Keep a watchful eye on the level over the next several weeks and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
How long had it been since the coolant level was checked prior to this incident?

Regarding the drop in level after you filled it, there could be air pockets in the system that are getting displaced with the coolant. Did you burp it when you added the coolant?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long had it been since the coolant level was checked prior to this incident?
Oh months...last oil change I'd say...6500mi ago...terrible of me I know...but in 200,000...I've never lost coolant before. :)

Regarding the drop in level after you filled it, there could be air pockets in the system that are getting displaced with the coolant. Did you burp it when you added the coolant?
Yes, I burped it. I've got one of those "no-spill" funnels...so it's easy to add coolant and burp it once it gets up to temp.

Charles

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Even over the course of 5-6 months, you shouldn't be losing that much coolant. Is your oil still a dark brown color with no milkiness? Have you ruled out any external leaks? Honda makes this easy by using the blue coolant. It shows up pretty easily and is plainly evident if there is a leak somewhere. I would also check all of the hoses when the truck is running. The coolant could be coming through a small crack in a line that is only pressurized when the engine is running.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So checking it tonight...

Coolant level in the reservoir is still at MAX.

Closer inspection appears to have turned up a slight leak at the thermostat...which sucks because it was replaced maybe a year ago.

Unfortunately, the shop that did the work is in Ohio and I'm now in Utah.

Oh well, when I have the TB done, shouldn't be too much more to have the thermostat done.

Charles

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Glad that you found the apparent problem. I hate leaky vehicles, even the ones that leave spots in my driveway and belong to someone else.

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
There you go. Small leak like that sounds about right. It could be that the thermostat simply needs to be reseated or something simple like that. I've never replaced mine, but likely should at some point. It's never leaked nor given me any issues, so I have just left it alone. I would imagine it's likely quite easy to swap out on your own if you wanted to tackle it. I've done one before in a previous vehicle and it took about a half hour with basic hand tools. There's more than likely a diagram or instructions on here somewhere of how to do that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but you can rent the coolant leak test kit from the auto parts store, (Advanced) The kit allows you to pump up your radiator and coolant system to 15psi with air to check for leaks when the engine is cool and not running. It is pricey to walk out the door with it, but you get your money back when returned. I use it before replacing all the engine mounts and covers when doing water pumps and timing belts to insure everything is tight and leak proof.

Last resort would be stop leak.

Good luck and get your timing belt and water pump replaced. ASAP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts