Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of updating the Navigation DVD. I know the maps and such will update, but does the look of anything change? I tried looking for the answer but couldn't find it.

Thanks

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I was thinking of updating the Navigation DVD. I know the maps and such will update, but does the look of anything change? I tried looking for the answer but couldn't find it.

Thanks
Consider this a "placeholder" response until you hear from someone with more current knowledge.

I can tell you that there are other "peculiarities" that have changed over the years of version iteration. Things like voice choices, maybe some breadcrumb details, etc. But I really don't recall off the top of my head. But I can tell you they've been discussed if you want to try doing a search to find those past threads. Sorry I can't help more.

(I don't recall the general "look" ever changed, but I can't say for sure about the color choices)

· Registered
4,166 Posts

Thanks
If you are talking about look of maps the answer is NO.
This is an old system with similar looks to the one in my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL.
So if the Navigation DVD has never been updated of t's been a several years you might want to get the latest DVD.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
you spend 150-200 and you get the same crappy look and the same crappy database of stores. save your money
......... unless you actually use it for road & highway navigation. The updates from your very old version will be tremendous. If you don't use it very much, then agreed, it would be a waste.

There are a LOT of road changes over the years.... and you'd be surprised how screwed up your directions will be if you find yourself w/o updates reflecting those changes. No big deal if you don't mind wasting time driving around in circles looking for the "corrected" route.... I'm just sayin'..... if you need it, get it.

If cost is a big issue, look for a used disc of a slightly less-than-new vintage (on Ebay for instance). It will still put you miles ahead of where you are & can likely find one for $30-40 I would think. Make sure it's one that is for the Ridgeline.

Heck, there are probably folks on here with "a recent year's" version that could get one to you for cheap.

:)

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
In 2007, there was an update that removed the male voice option to make room for additional points of interest. Some time later, arrows indicating the direction of travel for one-way streets was added. Those are the only "feature" changes I can think of. Otherwise, the interface is exactly the same today as it was over a decade ago when this system was developed and will undoubtedly continue to look the same until Honda ends updates at which point everything will become "frozen in time". Currently, updates are available as far back as the early 2000s, but systems before that are generally no longer supported.

· Premium Member
1,686 Posts
dNick nailed it. If you use it and rely on it often, get the upgrade. The video screen is subpar at the most compared to what else it out there. Someone told me once that it's 2005 technology and I see someone here mentioned 2000.

My wife has a 2007 Lexus and the nav looks high def compared to my 2011 Ridgeline.

So don't expect the jagged lines and rough looking text to change.

It's really too bad..

· Registered
431 Posts
I almost upgraded my disc as well but decided its not worth it. I generally use my phone and hook it up to the aux cord. The navi in the RL is just way to cumbersome and difficult to operate IMO, yes it will get you from point A to B but there are no easy quick options to get good look at the map, change routeing, no traffic, no accident info or road closures. My $600 phone has a better standard navigation system than my 30k truck LOL. I honestly don't think I will ever buy another vehicle with navigation again, not worth the added expense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.