Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently inherited my late father-in-law's 2015 F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport Supercrew with a 5.0 engine. So I'm gifting my 2007 Ridge RTX to my step-son.
I've only been driving the F-150 for about a week now but thought I would share some observances. Obviously it's a bit of a stretch to compare these two as they aren't in the same league.
Being a Ridgeline forum, I'm not about to go on about how much better the Ford is. And to be honest it's not better in every way. So here, with my limited experience, is how they stack up.
In the Ridgeline's favor;
-I already miss the trunk. It's one of the Ridgeline's best features by far. Where do I put all of my stuff that I don't want taking up space in the back seat and floating around in the bed?
-The swinging tailgate. This is another brilliant Ridgeline feature.
-Driving in snow. This F-150 has all terrain tires. My Ridge has newish Michelin Defenders. Plus the Ridge is front wheel drive. I feel much more confident and in control on slippery surfaces in the Honda. Yesterday we had a big dump of snow and the side roads were icy. The F-150 skated around like a pig on grease. The Ridgeline would have handled that with not much of an issue. The tires would be part of that difference mind you.
-Scraping the windshield. I'm not a tall guy and scraping the Honda's windshield was a reach but not impossible. With the Ford, I almost need a ladder.
-Parking and maneuvering. The Ford is a bit of an ocean liner compared to the Honda.
-Rear visibility. Even though the C-pillars on the 1st gen Ridge are a bit ungainly, the F-150 has what seems like a smaller rear window and it's further away on the Supercrew. So to me it seems that the view out of the rear view mirror is superior in the Honda.
-Gadgets. My Honda is an RTX (imported from the U.S.) which is a base model with alloy wheels, a nicer grill and a tow package. This F-150 has a mind boggling array of buttons and motorized or electronic do-dads. I guess I'm a bit behind the times with all of the features one can get on a new vehicle, but in the end, it's more stuff that can go wrong. I've owned Fords in the past so I know things go wrong.
-Maintenance. I did an oil change and changed the air and cabin filters as soon as I took possession. The oil filter on the 5.0 engine is above a frame cross member so they have a built in funnel thingy that directs the flow of spilled oil to the front and rear of the cross member. It makes a mess and you need two vessels to catch the spilled oil. And it continues to drip so a long time. Plus the 5.0 takes 7.3 litres (7.7 quarts) of oil! Things under the hood seem better thought out in the Honda and of slightly higher quality. The cabin filter is easier to change out on the Honda as well. The air filter was about the same.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Last July 4th we were at the family lake cabin, which sits on a steep hillside, and it had been rainy, so the hillside was soft, but not visibly muddy. The gravel drive was full of vehicles, but those of us with AWD/4WD sometimes just go up the unpaved grassy hill, so I drove my 2007 Ridgeline right out, feeling no slip at all, but my BIL went to follow me in his 2012 F150 (which I like) the wheels spun and it slewed and he went off the track into the brush. Took an hour of finagling/back & forth and at one point thought it might slide over the hill - luckily we got it out. I probably fudged up the soft turf some going up ahead of him, but I was surprised that the Ford didn’t fare better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just filled the tank for the first time and noticed another thing (besides how much more it cost to fill the tank).
No trip meter. The Ridge has two.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup...you're right. I hadn't discovered the functions of the left button on the steering wheel. Tons of info to be honest. Way more than the Ridgeline.
There are 3 outstanding recalls in this truck. One for freezing door locks, which I've experienced a few times now. Ive been frozen out of the Ridgeline once or twice in the 11 years I've owned it. My F-150 experience is less than a month on and I've already tied the Honda.
Apparently it's a big problem with the new aluminum trucks.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
What about how the 5.0 drives? Low end torque or do you have to rev it? Is it a pig? How does it move the weight compared to the V6 in the Ridgelnie?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Like I said in the original post, these two vehicles are not in the same league. The F-150 is 700 lbs heavier but has 140 more HP and 140 ft lbs more torque peaking at 650 rpm less...so it goes like a shot compared to the Ridgeline. The 5.0 sounds awesome as well. The forums have posts discussing ways to make the other engine options sound like the 5.0 😀
This engine is Ford's Coyote version of the 5.0. The mustang has a version of the Coyote as well. It's considered one of the best engines ford has ever made. It's possible to get up to 1000 hp out of it (if you know what your doing and have lots of money to do it)
Mine is an XLT Sport so it has a sport mode which changes the shift points. I howls when you unleash it. Not the best idea during winter though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts