Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an '07 RTS. Drove Nissan Frontiers since '97. I'm really pleased with the move to the Ridgeline. Much more versatility than the frontier PLUS 4WD. I live in S. Texas and drive on the beach (Padre Island National Seashore) and was wondering about 4WD performance in sand. Thanks.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Welcome to the ROC.

There are plenty of sand discussions at the ROC. The key is to lower sir pressure, probably down to around 15 psi. You should also pull the 20A VSA fuse in the secondary underhood fuse box.

With lowered air pressure, you can't defeat VSA with the panel switch (safety feature), ergo the need to pull the fuse. You need to disable VSA so you can maintain momentum with wheel spin. If you don't disable VSA, it will cut the throttle if it can't control wheel spin by braking the spinning wheel. In this scenario, it will bog down just when you need to keep wheelspin going to maintain momentum.

Be sure to air up and replace the VSA fuse before you return to the highway.

Make sure you understand how Honda's VTM-4 system works. While it is similar to a conventional part time 4wd system, it is not meant to be run in continuous 4wd manual lock mode. Just leave it in D and go. If you get stuck, use (gear) position 1 and select VTM-4 lock to help you get unstuck, then turn off manual lock. Read up on the system so you fully understand how it works before you head to the sand.

Reactions: McChizzle

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Yes. I don't know what else to call it. D1, I suppose, but it's not labeled that way.

And for the OP, you can only manually lock VTM-4 while in D1, D2, or R.

Reactions: McChizzle

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Welcome to the ROC,

Congratulations on your new vehicle,

without Pictures it didn't happen...

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.