Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I dropped my RL off at the Honda Dealership yesterday for the TB change as I was just shy of the 105k mark. Also at 8 years old, living in Florida, some tow miles I didnt not want to put this critical maintenance off any longer. I had a Timing Belt let go on a 1986 Buick Riviera with 168k miles on it that left me stranded in a remote area and it was a pita.

I will look at my old Belt and report back the condition. I dont care if it still looks brand new this certainly gives me piece of mind having it done by the Honda Dealership where I bought the Truck. Twelve month 12,000 mile warranty on the work. Cost is $899 less 10 percent discount I talked them throwing in. My local mechanic that I use a lot wanted over a grand, so the decision to go with Honda was easy. I am mechanically inclined buit didnt want to tackle it myself. Oh by the way, this truck will take me into the sunset until I raid my 401k (in 5-7 years) at retirement and by my next ride cash.

Update to come,,,
Joe

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Did mine at 215K miles. Nothing was wrong with the belt. It'll be over 400K milese's before I even think about changing mine again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did mine at 215K miles. Nothing was wrong with the belt. It'll be over 400K milese's before I even think about changing mine again.
,,,And I to was going to wait longer but I needed a piece of mind as stated above, I had one let go before. I just didnt want to take the chance. Thats great you were able to go 200k miles without an issue. I will most likely trade mine in before I need to do another timing belt change. With that said, this has been by far the best quality/reliable vehicle I have owned, and I have had a few,,,

I did pick up my Truck today and the mechanic that did the work showed me the belt. It looked ok however, he said it will usually start to detoriorate within and just brake.

Ahyway, Im good to go for many more miles I hope !!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Striper... curious to know what dealership.... if it isn't to far for me I would be interested taking mine there....
thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Striper4, what all else did you have done besides the TB?

Water pump?
Hydraulic tensioner?
Serpentine belt and tensioner?
Spark Plugs?
Valve adjustment?
Radiator change?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was Coggin Honda on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonvile Florida. The Service Director's name is Florence. If you take it there tell her you spoke with me and you would like her to honor the $899 price less 10 percent discount. The Honda Dealership was actually a good bit cheaper than my local mechanic that I use for most of the services which surprised me. Plus 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on the components installed.

They did the following, this from the invoice:

---Timing Belt
--- Oil Seal
--- Tensioner
--- Water Pump
--- Oil Seal
---Belt, Compressor
---Fluid

The only other thing I had done was they did a clear lenz resoration on my headlight lenses. They were very cloudy and hazed over, they look like new and lifetime warranty.

Everything else checked out ok, Truck has been rock solid, no issues at all and I probably could have gone many more miles on the original Timing Belt but did not want to chance replacing the engine if the belt were to brake. (Been there before) I also tow a 5k plus boat and tows it pretty darn good.
Hope this Helps !
Joe aka StriperIV

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Florence is one of the Service Advisers not the Director. Also, Truck had 104, 600 miles to be exact. Did not need a radiator change and stuts and shocks are still good to go. She did recommend that I get a fuel injector cleaning and a ac cleaning in the near future. I think the valve adjustment is at 110k miles plus I believe. I have regularly changed fluids and rotated tires every 5k miles. Have the second generation Michelin MS2 with 52k miles on them and ther are still at 7/8-32nd of an inch of tread left. Will go back to the oem size in the Michelin AT2 tires next up, prolly in 10-15k miles as I like to change when depth at around 4/5 32nds.

Joe

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It was Coggin Honda on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonvile Florida. The Service Director's name is Florence. If you take it there tell her you spoke with me and you would like her to honor the $899 price less 10 percent discount. The Honda Dealership was actually a good bit cheaper than my local mechanic that I use for most of the services which surprised me. Plus 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on the components installed.

---Timing Belt
--- Oil Seal
--- Tensioner
--- Water Pump
--- Oil Seal
---Belt, Compressor
---Fluid

The only other thing I had done was they did a clear lenz resoration on my headlight lenses. They were very cloudy and hazed over, they look like new and lifetime warranty.

Everything else checked out ok, Truck has been rock solid, no issues at all and I probably could have gone many more miles on the original Timing Belt but did not want to chance replacing the engine if the belt were to brake. (Been there before) I also tow a 5k plus boat and tows it pretty darn good.
Hope this Helps !
Joe aka StriperIV
Thanks Joe, I only have 69,000 on mine but now since (Like you ) 8 years old it's something that has been on my mind.... Local dealer here is more expensive ($200 more) .... also like you I have done every thing at correct MM and most all has been done at dealer...like you said rock solid and I also pull boat.....
Thanks again
Mike

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Florence is one of the Service Advisers not the Director. Also, Truck had 104, 600 miles to be exact. Did not need a radiator change and stuts and shocks are still good to go. She did recommend that I get a fuel injector cleaning and a ac cleaning in the near future. I think the valve adjustment is at 110k miles plus I believe. I have regularly changed fluids and rotated tires every 5k miles. Have the second generation Michelin MS2 with 52k miles on them and ther are still at 7/8-32nd of an inch of tread left. Will go back to the oem size in the Michelin AT2 tires next up, prolly in 10-15k miles as I like to change when depth at around 4/5 32nds.

Joe
Joe,

The valve adjustment is called for only if noisy. I find that to be somewhat problematic in that the exhaust valves tend to wear into the seat causing the valve clearances to be reduced resulting in less, not more noise. Ergo my suggestion to get the valve clearances checked/adjusted at the TB/WP change.

There are a number of threads here about it, and of course, there are mixed opinions on the subject.

Here's a thread that I found pretty informative:
http://honda-tech.com/odyssey-|-rid...miles-less-not-105k-honda-recommends-2726472/

The radiator? Well, it goes back to that peace of mind issue. In case you are unaware, here's one of many threads on that issue:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53921

I figure it's (relatively) cheap insurance.

·
Registered
431 Posts

---Timing Belt
--- Oil Seal
--- Tensioner
--- Water Pump
--- Oil Seal
---Belt, Compressor
---Fluid

Hope this Helps !
Joe aka StriperIV

Good to know as I am also in the jax area. I am about due for the TB service and that price does not seem bad. I will likely try Lucas Honda on blanding for mine as its closer but am willing to drive if it will save a few hundred dollars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts