Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

Ok.. weird issue. Driving down I-4 here in central florida a few weeks ago when in starts to feel a little humid in the cabin. Hmmm... AC is on, full cold selected... but air is getting warmer... crap.
But.... select MAX A/C and viola!! Ice cold air. Been leaving it in MAX since then and A/C works like a champ. Select normal a/c and we're back to warm air again....
Any suggestions about where to start looking first?

thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
17,189 Posts
A dirty filter will result in reduced air flow, but won't cause cause the OP's symptoms. The filter works for fresh and recirculated air, anyway.

The "blend door" referenced above (which is actually the "recirculation" door) determines whether fresh or recirculated air passes through the system. It is not used for temperature control and will not cause the OP's symptoms.

The Ridgeline has two blend doors (driver and passenger) that control the mix of heated air (that passes over the heater core) and cooled air (that passes over the evaporator core).

"...starts to feel a little humid in the cabin..." is another clue. I'm betting on a failure of the HVAC control head that is causing the A/C compressor not to run -OR- the system is low on refrigerant. If the refrigerant level is low and the ambient temperature is high, the system may not be capable of removing enough heat from warm, outside air, but does with cooler, inside air. (I'd need a few more details to support this.)

However, assuming the refrigerant charge is okay, I'd suspect a faulty HVAC control head.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A dirty filter will result in reduced air flow, but won't cause cause the OP's symptoms. The filter works for fresh and recirculated air, anyway.

The "blend door" referenced above (which is actually the "recirculation" door) determines whether fresh or recirculated air passes through the system. It is not used for temperature control and will not cause the OP's symptoms.

The Ridgeline has two blend doors (driver and passenger) that control the mix of heated air (that passes over the heater core) and cooled air (that passes over the evaporator core).

"...starts to feel a little humid in the cabin..." is another clue. I'm betting on a failure of the HVAC control head that is causing the A/C compressor not to run -OR- the system is low on refrigerant. If the refrigerant level is low and the ambient temperature is high, the system may not be capable of removing enough heat from warm, outside air, but does with cooler, inside air. (I'd need a few more details to support this.)

However, assuming the refrigerant charge is okay, I'd suspect a faulty HVAC control head.
If refrigerant level is low enough it usually doesn't work period cause the pressure switch would detect low pressure...which should shut the compressor off. If it was just a little low it should work all the time just not get very cold in any setting not only work in max a/c.

" If the refrigerant level is low and the ambient temperature is high, the system may not be capable of removing enough heat from warm, outside air, but does with cooler, inside air."

^^^You are correct and now I think about it that door should be working due to his problem,so it doesn't seem to be able to cool that lovely florida air until put in max a/c and the door closes...

I guess first step that wouldn't cost you a dime would be to make sure the door is moving. If it is..then go and have pressure checked etc. And last would be faulty HVAC control.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all... this gives me some direction to look.... Things have significantly cooled off down this way... dry air and temps in the 70's. AC is still not working in Normal... only Max... and it is darn cold air....
I'll start the troubleshooting.. thanks again.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
... so to help out OP, (and myself whenever I get around to checking out my "little noise" which I suspect is driver's side blend door); I must say that was a very nice image above of the passenger side mechanism.
Does anyone have similar image (or better yet real pics) of the driver's side for this issue?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts