Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I just bought a 2008 ridgeline rtx, 104,000 miles, and I've noticed a small front end 'clunk' when going over bumps. It comes from both sides and is felt primarily through the floorboards and somewhat through the steering wheel. It is most noticeable when going slow (idling speed) on a rough road or uneven ground, but I do hear it at higher speeds as well.

I've jacked it up at checked for play at 12-6, 9-3 on both sides...Nothing.

Shook the crap out of the sway bars when it's on the ground and jacked up...nothing.

Struts seem good. I pulled the boot back and found no leaks. No excessive bouncing or swaying.

No vibrations when accelerating or at highway speeds.

No clicking or whining with turns.

Lug nuts all solid and torqued appropriately.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,600 Posts
Sounds like sway bar bushings. You won't easily be able to feel the slop until you take the tension off of the sway bar. That means disconnecting the end links which are typically seized and need to be cut off! . . .Rather than do that, you could just buy the bushings for <$15 and replace them. They are split and will slide over the bar. No need to lower the sub frame like the factory manual says to. Put the vehicle up on jack stands (safely) and remove the front wheels for easier access to the bushing's clamp bolts. . . .Basically if you are handy this is a real inexpensive and relatively easy place to start. I also think that it is a very likely culprit . . .

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sounds like sway bar bushings. You won't easily be able to feel the slop until you take the tension off of the sway bar. That means disconnecting the end links which are typically seized and need to be cut off! . . .Rather than do that, you could just buy the bushings for <$15 and replace them. They are split and will slide over the bar. No need to lower the sub frame like the factory manual says to. Put the vehicle up on jack stands (safely) and remove the front wheels for easier access to the bushing's clamp bolts. . . .Basically if you are handy this is a real inexpensive and relatively easy place to start. I also think that it is a very likely culprit . . .
Not the OP but have the same issue. Only recently has it began to really irritate me enough to do something about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
... and keep in mind you can get the clunk from the end links themselves as well. It actually seems to me that the end link problem is more frequently (& sooner) encountered than the sway bar bushings themselves.
But as many will point out; if you are doing the end links, you might as well do the sway bar bushings while you're at it... it's very easy to do when you're down there & things are disconnected.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
1. Sway bar bushings

2. End links

3.Struts+strut mounts.

List from easiest/cheapest to replace and that is most common for clunking noise over bumps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
For what it's worth, my '09 that I just purchased has this light knock in the front end as well. Identical symptoms as those of the OP. I thought "bushings" for sure. I replaced those, and it is better, but the knock is still there. I will go to end links next, and will update so OP has a better idea, if he or she hasn't already fixed it on his or her truck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 09 does this as well for the past 1-2 years, only when turning left and coming from passenger front suspension. Replaced both front sway bar links and the sway bar bushings. Still have the noise, no change from doing those. Have lived with it since, this winter will finally put on all new struts and upper strut mounts. After that out, I'm out of ideas and seems lots of RLs have this issue.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I will add, based on my experience with two Ridgelines and two Odysseys, that this problem will likely persist even if you throw new parts at it. Bumpy or washboard roads will equal quirky clunks. I have replaced end-links and bushings and it helps, but it has not entirely solved the problem. I wont replace struts until I have a good reason to (they aren't cheap) so I am stuck with clunks for now. No problems on smooth pavement, so I live with it.

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
My '10 did this beginning early on in its life - I believe at around a year old. I was never able to find anything loose or worn and I never had anything done about it. It was most pronounced at low speeds with very light acceleration on dirt roads or slightly bumpy pavement - large movements and big bumps were tight and quiet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If end links don't fix it, I will remove them entirely and tie the stabilizer bar up and out of the way and then go for a drive to remove the bar from the equation completely. Our 2005 MDX has 125k miles on it and is completely silent (and on factory parts). I know this chassis design is capable of being quiet -- a clunking noise has to be coming from somewhere. Hmm...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just want to add this to the thread. At 24237KM (15060MI) I had one end link go bad Honda changed both under warranty.So the the failure rate on them are not uncommon even with low mileage.But on the other hand the replaced end links have almost 73000KM (45360MI) on them with no issues so far.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If end links don't fix it, I will remove them entirely and tie the stabilizer bar up and out of the way and then go for a drive to remove the bar from the equation completely. Our 2005 MDX has 125k miles on it and is completely silent (and on factory parts). I know this chassis design is capable of being quiet -- a clunking noise has to be coming from somewhere. Hmm...
Good plan. Let us know your findings please.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good plan. Let us know your findings please.
I replaced the stabilizer bar end links with new Moog Problem Solvers (part number K750097). They fixed the noises completely.

They are much beefier than the OEM end links. They are made in Mexico, and the socket cup for each ball joint is 100% steel.

This is the link to them on Amazon:

And the picture is not representative. Those show a pressed-in steetmetal socket cap, but the ones I have are solid steel all the way around, like these:

Replacement was super easy. My impact driver took the top nuts right off. I couldn't reach the lower nuts with my impact driver, and I didn't feel like getting the reciprocating saw out, so I just pulled the OEM bar off the ball stud still bolted to the bar (it popped off without too much trouble), and then used a Vice Grips on the ball stud and a 17mm wrench on the other side.

It's an Arizona truck... = no rust!! :act035:

The Moog end links did have grease in them, and the grease fittings were pre-installed. But it didn't feel like it had a ton of grease, and it took some more grease without overflow from my grease gun. I loaded each end with more grease until the boot swelled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts