Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a road trip and on the way there I only got about 12.5 mpg and on the way back with a can of seafoam in the tank, I got roughly 14.2 mpg. Any guesses on where to start looking? The truck has about 146,000 miles on it in which most are highway.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I'll start with the usually questions. What part of the county? What were the speeds? Weather conditions? Mods to the truck? How far from normal is this? Any thing new to the truck? How many people in the truck? How much weight was in the bed/truck? Were you towing anything?
More will chime in with other questions and opinions.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
PRESUMING SOMETHING IS AMISS (not necessarily the case), 2 things to check with that many miles are plugs and valve clearances. Also possibly O2 sensors, but then you should be getting a code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I had in the truck was some Christmas gifts. Nothing in the bed. I was driving from Austin, TX to Odessa, TX. The first part of the drive is somewhat hilly, but not like the mountains. The rest of the trip is rather flat. I do have slightly larger tires than the stock tires that come on the truck, but I wouldn't say that they are large tires by any means. I do have some codes flashing, but I recently went over miles for my oil life. I use full synthetic which is why I have not rushed for a change. I hope this helps and when I can, I will look up the codes.

On another note, I did notice when I changed my plugs, that there was a little oil on one of the rubber caps that surrounds the plug.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
All I had in the truck was some Christmas gifts. Nothing in the bed. I was driving from Austin, TX to Odessa, TX. The first part of the drive is somewhat hilly, but not like the mountains. The rest of the trip is rather flat. I do have slightly larger tires than the stock tires that come on the truck, but I wouldn't say that they are large tires by any means. I do have some codes flashing, but I recently went over miles for my oil life. I use full synthetic which is why I have not rushed for a change. I hope this helps and when I can, I will look up the codes.

On another note, I did notice when I changed my plugs, that there was a little oil on one of the rubber caps that surrounds the plug.
Slightly larger tires: Inaccurate mileage and fuel mileage readings
Flashing codes: probably your answer is right there
Over oil life: How many miles between oil changes? How far over?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
...... I do have some codes flashing..... I will look up the codes.....
Flashing codes: probably your answer is right there
Ditto above comment from Ourfarm.... you should have lead with this. You find out what codes you have & you'll find your problem. This sudden change has nothing to do with tires, speed, payload, etc. etc.
You've probably got a bad sensor of some sort that is causing you to have more fuel being fed than is proper (you're running rich). Perhaps an O2 or MAF or ???
I'd bet money that you read the codes & replace some fairly inexpensive parts & you'll be back to where you need to be. (hopefully it's nothing more than that)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Gents,

I can not find the reason for the codes. They are a136. Any idea what these could be? I am not super car savy, so any help can help.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey Gents,

I can not find the reason for the codes. They are a136. Any idea what these could be? I am not super car savy, so any help can help.
That's a maintenance code, NOT your "check engine" light trouble codes (On Board Diagnostics or OBD). You need to use a code reader to read those. Some parts stores will do that for you. Is your "check engine" light on? (looks like an image of an engine)

FYI, your "Maintenance Minder" (MM), near your odometer, will give you indications (such as A136) to tell you when periodic maintenance is due (oil changes, etc.).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. I started using premium gas and it made a slight difference. My biggest issue is when I drive over 70. It eats the gas real bad.

Also, my check engine light(engine icon) finally came on.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,348 Posts
There will now be a code for you to read. Get yourself a reader or go to a mechanic or auto parts store and have the code read.

Are you missing any of the fender liners or are they loose? These can hang out in the wind and create some serious drag when you are cruising at high speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts