Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, first post as a a matter of fact!!

I'm buying a 2008 Ridgeline RTL. Going to pick it up later today or tomorrow.

So here is my audio question. The PO of the truck replaced the stock head unit with a cheap Pioneer single DIM unit. I hate how the kit looks, and it's a bargain basement model. Luckily the person buying my previous daily driver did not want the stereo I had installed in it, so I retained. It's a super nice Pioneer double DIN with HD, XM, etc.

To install it in the Ridgeline I know I'll need a trim kit, I'm assuming the Schosche is the one to get, right? I'll need a wiring harness. No problem. But here are my two questions:

• The truck has the XM radio "puck" on the roof. Where does that antenna cable terminate? Is it all the way to the head unit? Or does it just go to an XM add-on module hidden somewhere behind a panel? Anyone used the stock XM puck with an aftermarket deck?
  • Subwoofer, do I have one? Did all the RTLs in 2008 come with the sub? It's behind the rear seat on the passenger seat, right? I know it's kind of weak, but it will do for a while. If it's there, that is.
Anything I else I need to know? Any other Ridgeline peculiar things I should know before swapping head units?

BTW, super excited to get the truck. It's a 2008, but only has 33K on it. Near spotless, interior is near mint.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Hey lefty. Great choice on the RL RTL. You will not be sorry. The more you drive, the more you'll find it to be in a class of its own.

Your RTL does have the factory sub exactly where you mentioned. Having recently jumped into a multi-phase system upgrade I am of the opinion the factory sub gets a bad rap - for reasons I can't explain. In my soon-to-change configuration, the 8 year old factory sub is doing yeoman's work filling the missing bottom end supplied by 4 aftermarket 6 3/4" woofers.

For what an opinion is worth: it sounds like you are taking a structured path to improving sound and in that regard I suggest putting the factory sub into play from the git-go. You can tap input to the sub when replacing the H.U. or right at the enclosure if pulling the rear seat for other reasons. Where you tap into it is purely a function of your current H.U. and where/how other equipment is placed.

Someone else with broader experience will need to comment on the factory satellite ant particulars cuz I dunno.

Dig around on this site, the information provided by others is literally priceless. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heli ATP, thanks for those links, I appreciate it.

I'm hoping the first one, the XM install instructions, is for XM modules installed at the dealer. It shows the module mounted under the driver's seat, and thus the antenna terminates there. But it also shows the antenna mounted on the front right corner of the cab, near the windshield.

My XM antenna is (I think) a factory install, it is mounted in the center towards the back of the cab. I still have my fingers crossed that the other end of it is just hanging in the dash behind the head unit. If it's somewhere else, I'll need to find a way to extend it to the dash.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Heli ATP, thanks for those links, I appreciate it.

I'm hoping the first one, the XM install instructions, is for XM modules installed at the dealer. It shows the module mounted under the driver's seat, and thus the antenna terminates there. But it also shows the antenna mounted on the front right corner of the cab, near the windshield.

My XM antenna is (I think) a factory install, it is mounted in the center towards the back of the cab. I still have my fingers crossed that the other end of it is just hanging in the dash behind the head unit. If it's somewhere else, I'll need to find a way to extend it to the dash.
Your OEM XM antenna "should" be going down to terminate at the XM receiver I believe, which is located behind the rear wall, behind the rear seat. There are threads here showing that location/access. I'm fairly certain this is the case anyway.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your OEM XM antenna "should" be going down to terminate at the XM receiver I believe, which is located behind the rear wall, behind the rear seat. There are threads here showing that location/access. I'm fairly certain this is the case anyway.
Well dang. If that's the case I'm going to have to figure out how to make an extension for it to reach to the dash behind the heat unit. The Pioneer deck I'm going to install uses one of the small XM modules that only has about two feet of cable.

Hopefully someone makes an extension cable, I'm hoping I don't wind up having to splice a coax cable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been researching a similar upgrade and my understanding is that the stock XM antenna uses a Honda plug on the end and would need to be spliced to go to a standard XM receiver. My plan is to with the stealth XM antenna install as seen in the thread below.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34647&highlight=HU+install

Here are some useful Subwoofer threads too...
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92329&highlight=subwoofer

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1348282&postcount=55

Good luck...post pics.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well dang. If that's the case I'm going to have to figure out how to make an extension for it to reach to the dash behind the heat unit. The Pioneer deck I'm going to install uses one of the small XM modules that only has about two feet of cable.

Hopefully someone makes an extension cable, I'm hoping I don't wind up having to splice a coax cable.
Just get some good connectors & female to female adapter & you'll be good to go as far as extending a coax cable. Not really that big a deal, as long as you get yourself a good crimper & high quality connectors.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been researching a similar upgrade and my understanding is that the stock XM antenna uses a Honda plug on the end and would need to be spliced to go to a standard XM receiver. My plan is to with the stealth XM antenna install as seen in the thread below.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34647&highlight=HU+install
Thanks! I have looked at that thread before, and it is strong plan B!

At the same time, my first option is to make the factory antenna work. It's already there, it's mounted externally with no sheet metal between it and the sky. And somehow it would just bug me that it's there and yet I'm mounting another antenna less than 6 inches away in the stealth install. I know no one would see it, but it would bug me.

I've kind of dealt with this before in a Honda Element. My 05 Element had the factory XM antenna, with the connection behind a rear panel. That's where the factory XM brainbox was mounted. In that install I lucked out in that the Pioneer XM module could mount back in that same spot. The Honda antenna cable had the same core coax as the Pioneer did, but it had a different plastic tab/housing surrounding it. I carefully removed the plastic surround, and mated the cable up perfectly with the Pioneer unit.

The problem with what I want to do with the RL is that the newer head unit uses an XM module that has to be mounted within about 20 inches of the head unit. It can't go behind the back seat, so I need to find a way to extend the antenna cable.

I may have found it. Right here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts