Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
No Way I would do this.... too many unknowns. You have electrically controlled engine parameters that are very complex. Are there any aspects of this that conflict (pre vs. post 2009) due to different cam, VTEC, fuel management, sensors, or other changes???? I don't know, and I would bet there aren't more than 1 or 2 online here who can tell you definitively (maybe none w/o some research). Seems to me maybe the throttle controls are even different (I don't remember for sure).

You are talking about an engine swap, not a short block. I'm not entirely sure that even if you just changed the block you'd be OK (I believe even the block is a different part number, and I don't know why).

Best bet for you is to get the RIGHT engine (2006-2008) for your truck, in order to avoid unknown problems, even if you have to wait for one to be shipped in. They ARE available. Your mechanic is right to be wary... and you should be too, since any issues he has to troubleshoot & fix (if he even can) would be chargeable to you if you approve this "non-matching" replacement engine.

I would not do this unless it was the last engine available anywhere.
(or unless I was smart enough to be 100% certain of the interchangeability issues so that I could effectively accommodate them). Personally, I would not rely on advice on the internet to give me confidence to take this risk.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thank you, hokiefyd. As Dnick pointed out, this is an engine swap, not a short block. The plan is to use the entire 09 engine but with the air intake of the 07. The junk yard mechanic is positive it works as he has done it before, but as we know, he just wants to sell the engine, so cannot rely on it.
If "he's done it before" ask him what kind of accommodations he has to make to get it to work (any kludges?). If he's done it, and will take on responsibility (in writing) to remove & replace with another one ('06-08) if it does NOT work out completely, then you 'might' want to take the risk. But I just wouldn't want to find out after the fact that it "works", but you find yourself impacted in areas like fuel mileage, emissions tests, etc.

Personally, I'd hold out for getting it right w/o the heartburn.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
One other area of difference ('08 vs. '09) is the MAF/MAP sensor arrangement. I don't know what the significance of this is.... but I know it's not going to be transparent.

I just mention this for anyone else considering a "cross-species" swap.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Correct, but changing the intake would resolve that.
I'm talking about using the block & heads.
One of the Jswap sites would be better to answer any and all questions I would think rather than here.
I'm asking out of ignorance, but wouldn't changing the intake manifold still not solve the issue/problem of sensor reporting & engine management (due to different MAP/MAP set up)???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts