Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Here are the powertrain changes in 2009:
Powertrain

Horsepower and torque (increased)
Magnesium dual-stage intake manifold (previously aluminum)
Camshaft (tuned for low-end torque)
Intake valves (larger)
Starter motor (ultra-fast)
Transmission gear ratios (lower for better acceleration)
6-degree crank pulse sensor
Airflow meter within the air intake tract
Optimized engine block coolant passages
New EGR valve

Others here would know more than I, but I would think a short block swap shouldn't be a issue.
One issue that comes to mind is the temperature sensors. On the 06'-08' both are around the thermostat housing and in 09' they moved one to the lower radiator, but swap housings and should be good there.
Yes the intake needs swapped as the MAP/MAF sensors are different.

Other things may come to mind later, but that's what hits me off the top of me head...lol.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would've at least did some more research before calling it, but that's just me.
There are a lot of J series forums/sites out there that could give you specifics in a New York minute.
Having a new crank & egr would be 2 areas to look into. I'm thinking you might not get all the extra HP of the newer engine at most.
If both engines are sitting on the floor, I'd look over everything good and swap whatever was needed, that's the point when I would know.

May I ask why you are doing a engine swap? High mileage with a piston slap would be what would lead me to do a swap.

·
Registered
743 Posts
One other area of difference ('08 vs. '09) is the MAF/MAP sensor arrangement. I don't know what the significance of this is.... but I know it's not going to be transparent.

I just mention this for anyone else considering a "cross-species" swap.
Correct, but changing the intake would resolve that.
I'm talking about using the block & heads.
One of the Jswap sites would be better to answer any and all questions I would think rather than here.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm no expert either Dnick as the J35 is new to me, but from what I understand...
06-08 J35A have no MAP sensor. It should be located on the throttle body in 09+ J35Z
I believe however that the IAT sensor (intake air temp) is on the throttle body in 06-08'

I'm thinking the end of J35A series on the ridge is close enough to the beginning of J35Z on the 09-11' to be very compatible. Some other changes were done in 12'+ models, but I'm thinking they were minor also.

We have a honda guy at work, it's all he and his family drives and they even race them. I've talked to him about the J35 series in the past prior to me purchasing my RL so I could get a better understanding of the motor.

Since the J35A doesn't have a MAP sensor to report to the PCM and not knowing enough about the IAT sensor that should also be on the throttle, I figure swapping the intake would solve both of these issues.
But hey, I reserve the right to be wrong as I myself am still learning :act030:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts