Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Honda Ridgeline RT occasionally displays the yellow Check engine, VTM-4, VSA and traction control warning diamond lights a few seconds after starting. All the lights turn on at once but there is no noticeable issues with the vehicle. No feeling of a misfire or steering issues. The lights will only turn on within a few seconds of starting the Ridgeline. When I turn the ignition off and back on again all the lights clear except for the check engine light. When I read the codes on the OBD the only code says Misfire in Cylinder (#). The cylinder doesn't matter because it changes each time. I have had two Honda dealerships and one local repair shop look at it and they all agree there is no evidence of a misfire even when replacing plugs and coils. I would not expect a misfire to be linked with the stability control system. After starting the Ridgeline 6-10 times the check engine light turns off until the next time all of the lights light up. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing the lights other times its a daily occurrence. I have driven 30K miles and almost 12 months with this issue and haven't noticed any mechanical issues with the Ridgeline. The truck handles and runs perfectly. Anyone else have a similar issue. See the attached picture. Disregard the TPMS light that is a separate issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,721 Posts
How old is your battery? There are plenty of reports here of all sorts of strange things happening when the Ridge's battery is on the outs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I believe the vsa/vtm4 lights always come on anytime you have a check engine condition-in your case a intermittent misfire.Also on many cars cruise is disabled when a check condition exists. I would check all plugs myself for tightness or even replace them depending on how old they are -one could be iffy even though it might not look it.I would also inspect ends of coil packs for evidence of burning or unusual color and put a dab of dielectric grease in end for better plug contact.If you dont do this yourself or have a trusted known mechanic do it you wont really know its been done unfortunately -thereby leading to unnecessary other work -careful elimination of possible intermittent misfires is the goal here.The battery idea is also a good one and battery cable/connections -if battery is more than 5-6 years old I would just replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2009 Honda Ridgeline RT occasionally displays the yellow Check engine, VTM-4, VSA and traction control warning diamond lights a few seconds after starting. All the lights turn on at once but there is no noticeable issues with the vehicle. No feeling of a misfire or steering issues. The lights will only turn on within a few seconds of starting the Ridgeline. When I turn the ignition off and back on again all the lights clear except for the check engine light. When I read the codes on the OBD the only code says Misfire in Cylinder (#). The cylinder doesn't matter because it changes each time. I have had two Honda dealerships and one local repair shop look at it and they all agree there is no evidence of a misfire even when replacing plugs and coils. I would not expect a misfire to be linked with the stability control system. After starting the Ridgeline 6-10 times the check engine light turns off until the next time all of the lights light up. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing the lights other times its a daily occurrence. I have driven 30K miles and almost 12 months with this issue and haven't noticed any mechanical issues with the Ridgeline. The truck handles and runs perfectly. Anyone else have a similar issue. See the attached picture. Disregard the TPMS light that is a separate issue.
I know this is an old post, but I am having the EXACT same issue. I was hoping you could follow up with any further results? I have replaced the battery, a few coil packs and injectors. Lights still on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts