Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Honda Ridgeline RT occasionally displays the yellow Check engine, VTM-4, VSA and traction control warning diamond lights a few seconds after starting. All the lights turn on at once but there is no noticeable issues with the vehicle. No feeling of a misfire or steering issues. The lights will only turn on within a few seconds of starting the Ridgeline. When I turn the ignition off and back on again all the lights clear except for the check engine light. When I read the codes on the OBD the only code says Misfire in Cylinder (#). The cylinder doesn't matter because it changes each time. I have had two Honda dealerships and one local repair shop look at it and they all agree there is no evidence of a misfire even when replacing plugs and coils. I would not expect a misfire to be linked with the stability control system. After starting the Ridgeline 6-10 times the check engine light turns off until the next time all of the lights light up. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing the lights other times its a daily occurrence. I have driven 30K miles and almost 12 months with this issue and haven't noticed any mechanical issues with the Ridgeline. The truck handles and runs perfectly. Anyone else have a similar issue. See the attached picture. Disregard the TPMS light that is a separate issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe the vsa/vtm4 lights always come on anytime you have a check engine condition-in your case a intermittent misfire.Also on many cars cruise is disabled when a check condition exists. I would check all plugs myself for tightness or even replace them depending on how old they are -one could be iffy even though it might not look it.I would also inspect ends of coil packs for evidence of burning or unusual color and put a dab of dielectric grease in end for better plug contact.If you dont do this yourself or have a trusted known mechanic do it you wont really know its been done unfortunately -thereby leading to unnecessary other work -careful elimination of possible intermittent misfires is the goal here.The battery idea is also a good one and battery cable/connections -if battery is more than 5-6 years old I would just replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2009 Honda Ridgeline RT occasionally displays the yellow Check engine, VTM-4, VSA and traction control warning diamond lights a few seconds after starting. All the lights turn on at once but there is no noticeable issues with the vehicle. No feeling of a misfire or steering issues. The lights will only turn on within a few seconds of starting the Ridgeline. When I turn the ignition off and back on again all the lights clear except for the check engine light. When I read the codes on the OBD the only code says Misfire in Cylinder (#). The cylinder doesn't matter because it changes each time. I have had two Honda dealerships and one local repair shop look at it and they all agree there is no evidence of a misfire even when replacing plugs and coils. I would not expect a misfire to be linked with the stability control system. After starting the Ridgeline 6-10 times the check engine light turns off until the next time all of the lights light up. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing the lights other times its a daily occurrence. I have driven 30K miles and almost 12 months with this issue and haven't noticed any mechanical issues with the Ridgeline. The truck handles and runs perfectly. Anyone else have a similar issue. See the attached picture. Disregard the TPMS light that is a separate issue.
I know this is an old post, but I am having the EXACT same issue. I was hoping you could follow up with any further results? I have replaced the battery, a few coil packs and injectors. Lights still on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this issue for almost an year now. It started in June of 2020. I have 2014 SE with 123k miles. It first happened after one week of the spark plugs and valve adjustment service by independent shop. After long back and forth with mechanic he decline to accept that this was due to his work. He said it just happened. Took it to another shop which specialize in just Hondas. They re-did the valve service, checked the plugs, replace from right axel, changed battery, made me get new tires since the tread was low and had a nail in the tire. I went back to them for next 2 month because after they clear the light(Reset Computer) it wont show any lights on dash. I would drive 400 miles M-F and when I park it over the weekend and not drive. Lights will show up on Monday at the startup. I just stopped caring, I have another daily now, I only drive ridgeline about 20-30 miles a week now. Light come on randomly and go away randomly. Other thing I noticed is that the light won't come on if the temperature is hot out side. 75+. I am going to waste more money on replacing all coils in a month or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.