Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New here. I may buy tomorrow a 2009 RTL. Can you tell me about it?? Now I have a 06 Dodge Ram.. Could you tell me how I can carry plywood?? It looks like the front wall moves.. I can't see it on the one I am looking at, because of a topper. Truck has 145,000. I figure it will be my truck, and maybe $4,000. Another question. It has a AM/FM radio. What did anyone here use for a replacement. I would like to play CD's. Pretty much. What should I look for?? This is at a Dealer.. Thanks..

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Could you tell me how I can carry plywood?? It looks like the front wall moves..
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @slantback37!

The Ridgeline's bed is wider then 48" between the wheel wheels, so carrying 4x8 sheets of building materials flat is no problem. With the tailgate down, they'll stick out about a foot and a half.

The Ridgeline does not have a "mid-gate" between the bed and the cabin like the Chevrolet Avalanche had. Honda chose not to implement one due to crash safety.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. How are they over all?? We have had Honda's in the family for years. I had a 93 DelSol SI, and a 05 CR V. My Wife is on her third CR V. I want to get away from the Dodge with the HEMI. 345 CI. About a buck and a half just to start it. This will be the Dealer we have worked with for years. I am going to have them check it all out first. I want to know for sure if the timing belt, and water pump were changed at 125,000. Flush all of the fluids also. Main reason for buying it is to tow our new camper. It is only 950 Lbs, and a 120 Lb tongue weight, but with a V6 gas won't be all that bad and I won't need to install a oil cooler..

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
Hi. New here. I may buy tomorrow a 2009 RTL. Can you tell me about it?? Now I have a 06 Dodge Ram.. Could you tell me how I can carry plywood?? It looks like the front wall moves.. I can't see it on the one I am looking at, because of a topper. Truck has 145,000. I figure it will be my truck, and maybe $4,000. Another question. It has a AM/FM radio. What did anyone here use for a replacement. I would like to play CD's. Pretty much. What should I look for?? This is at a Dealer.. Thanks..
All Ridgelines have CD players built in. If it is non navigation model it will be a slot in the top of the Radio. If it is a navigation model then the CD player is behind the navigation screen.

Carrying plywood is easy in the Ridge but you will need to do it with the tailgate down if you want to lay the sheets flat. If I am carrying more than few sheets I lay them flat and use a ratchet strap to secure. If it is just a couple of sheets I typically tilt them up over the tailgate and then ratchet strap. . .

All GenI Ridgelines have an external tranmission fluid to air cooler in front of the radiator as well as an oil to water exchanger inside the radiator. . . .Read up on "SMOD" in this forum and consider replacing the radiator preemptively to avoid a SMOD failure.

BTW, I assume that you know that the Ridgeline has a trunk right???

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Thanks. How are they over all??
Very useful and comfortable. The first-generation (2006-2014) Ridgeline was very reliable overall. The second-generation (2017-2020) has a lot of problems. The 2G is faster, quieter, smoother, safer, and has much more modern electronics, but at the expense of reliability.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
Never knew about a "TRUNK". Must be where the spare tire is. Could you explain the RTL??
You and most of the world . . .Honda has done such a poor job of advertising one of their best vehicles. Do yourself a favor and read up on the GenI Ridgeline and carefully look over the vehicle and all of its features before you buy it. BTW the "trunk" is HUGE, big enough to stash a dead body if you were so inclined . . .

RTL is the top trim level (until the SE version came out the final year) so it will have things like heated leather seats, sun roof etc. Some came with Navigation, some didn't.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one has the NAV in it. Just a few things to change or take off. Maybe the running boards, and the topper. Had a topper on a Silverado. Would always fog up, and could never see out of it. Going to put on a flat cover. The running boards I really have no use for. I have running boards on the 1937 Ford Tudor I own now. They are fine on there. This truck isn't high enough to need them. May just take them off and store them in the garage.The topper has Thule racks on top of it. Glass is jet Black. Truck is also Black. The box area looks pretty scratched up. I will have to get that roll in liner kit to protect it.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,375 Posts
slantback37, the following video overviews of the Ridgeline are of a 2006 model year (the first one) and although the 2009 model year incorporated a lot of changes to the truck, they were mostly small mechanical and small cosmetic ones; so these videos from the RIdgeline's chief engineer explaining the truck's design and capabilities are still relevant:

Also, here is a link to the 2009 Ridgeline brochure:

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
All Ridgelines have CD players built in. If it is non navigation model it will be a slot in the top of the Radio. If it is a navigation model then the CD player is behind the navigation screen. ...
slantback37, as "eurban" said, the RTL with navigation has a six-disc CD changer hidden behind the eight-inch touchscreen which pivites down and out of the way when you want to access the changer.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
This one has the NAV in it. Just a few things to change or take off. Maybe the running boards, and the topper. Had a topper on a Silverado. Would always fog up, and could never see out of it. Going to put on a flat cover. The running boards I really have no use for. I have running boards on the 1937 Ford Tudor I own now. They are fine on there. This truck isn't high enough to need them. May just take them off and store them in the garage.The topper has Thule racks on top of it. Glass is jet Black. Truck is also Black. The box area looks pretty scratched up. I will have to get that roll in liner kit to protect it.
Bed is composite. It doesn't need any protection. Any liner would be for cosmetics only.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow this truck is Great.. Has a lot of items I haven't even thought of. Of coarse this truck will be bought as is because of the age. Is there still a problem with the connections between the transmission, and the radiator?? I think it has 18" wheels. Though it doesn't seem like it was sitting any higher.. I just got done cleaning the Dodge. I will go to the Dealer tomorrow. If it all checks out and they give me 4k for my truck. I will write a check. ( retirement funds ) for the remainder and drive it home.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Wow this truck is Great.. Has a lot of items I haven't even thought of. Of coarse this truck will be bought as is because of the age. Is there still a problem with the connections between the transmission, and the radiator?? I think it has 18" wheels. Though it doesn't seem like it was sitting any higher.. I just got done cleaning the Dodge. I will go to the Dealer tomorrow. If it all checks out and they give me 4k for my truck. I will write a check. ( retirement funds ) for the remainder and drive it home.
Yes, the Denso brand radiator Honda used has an issue with dissimilar metals being used in the lower radiator fittings which cause the fittings to rust and fale within the threads (i.e. you really can't see it from the outside). If the previous owner has not replaced the radiator, it should be done around the 10 year age mark. There is no way to fix the design flow other than replacing the radiator (they are not expensive). You can replace it with another brand of radiator that does not have this design flaw but the good thing about the Denso design is how well it cools.

Yes, the 2009-2014 RTLs came with 18 inch machine finished aluminum alloy rims. They do not give the Ridgeline any additional height when using the factory size tires for the sidewalls are shallower. The OEM 17s came with 245/65R17 while the OEM 18s came with 245/60R18.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to l at tires. I went to look at it again. It has Firestone 245/60R18 front and rear.. I was thinking of maybe Cooper tires. That is all our family has used in Northern Minnesota. Though I still can't figure out why would you have running boards if the door opening is only about 14" off the ground.. Just like the topper that is on it. That is coming off. I just hope they didn't have to drill holes to install it..

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
A Question.. What is the Black Edition Ridgeline??
Black edition is the top trim line for the GenII Ridgeline and in addition to being black, also has blacked out trim accents and its own leather scheme for the interior. GenI Ridgelines were from 2006-2014 and GenII's from 2016 to present.

Since you didn't know about the trunk, make sure you figure out how to open the tailgate in both directions (normal flip down, and sideways for easy trunk access)

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
A Question.. What is the Black Edition Ridgeline??
That's a second generation (Gen2) Ridgeline (2017-prrsent) that is basically an RTL-E trim but "blacked out." The only real difference between the RTL-E and Black Edition are the red interior accents. The Black Edition name does not apply to the first generation (Gen1) Ridgeline.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
What was top of the line for Gen 1??
In the early days, it was the RTL with navigation and sunroof. The sunroof later became standard on the RTL so the top trim became the RTL with navigation. For 2014, the SE (Special Edition) was the "top of the line" - it was an RTL with navigation and a unique appearance available in white, silver, and black.

I wish I would have kept my black 2014 SE and never purchased a 2017 or 2019. I still envy a good friend's silver 2014 SE.

Our own @McChizzle spent an enormous amount of time assembling the 1st and 2nd generation Ridgeline Wikipedia articles that can tell you a lot about the Ridgeline. I encourage checking them out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts