Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well waiting for the brakes to be bled. Then I will be the owner of a 2009 Honda Ridgeline.
Congratulations! I hope you love it as much as I loved my 2006 Metallic Blue G1 Ridgeline, and I actually do miss it. I also love my new Silver 2019 G2 too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will be asking a Big question on wiring.. This truck has a topper on it. I am removing it. This guy had wires going everywhere. Some of them go nowhere. I am not sure yet, but I think he just cut the wires from the Third brake light and did his own wiring..

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
Pictures of wiring?
Ridgeline brakes are a bit spongy even when everything is in good shape. Best approach is to clean the all the surfaces that the pads ride on, clean and lube the guide pins that the caliper float on and bleed the brakes thoroughly. If you want to go further with the brake upgrades here's a thread on what I did to my 14.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Still trying to figure out what is what. Huge screen. I like how it opens.. Those nerf bars are useless. They are mounted right next to the door opening. I need a road map showing all of the stuff, and how to use it.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
There's even an inside release lever that glows in the dark in case the trunk passenger(s) wants to get out. . .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Today the topper came off, along with those nerf bars. I am getting new tires on Friday. Cooper Discovery. They have a stiffer sidewall. Next I want to get a cover for the bed. Still trying to figure out all of the bells and whistles.. There are lots. Now I don't know for sure if the timing belt was ever changed. It will cost $1,000 to find out for sure. I want keep this truck for as long as I can, so I may have to pay the Grand and have it changed. Also. I complained about the spongy brakes. They kept it and had someone look at it. They bled the brakes, and said a pin wasn't working, so they replaced it. Those brakes are still spongy. Is that the way they are??

·
Registered
384 Posts
Today the topper came off, along with those nerf bars. I am getting new tires on Friday. Cooper Discovery. They have a stiffer sidewall. Next I want to get a cover for the bed. Still trying to figure out all of the bells and whistles.. There are lots. Now I don't know for sure if the timing belt was ever changed. It will cost $1,000 to find out for sure. I want keep this truck for as long as I can, so I may have to pay the Grand and have it changed. Also. I complained about the spongy brakes. They kept it and had someone look at it. They bled the brakes, and said a pin wasn't working, so they replaced it. Those brakes are still spongy. Is that the way they are??
I don't recall my 2006 RTL brakes being spongy, but I may have just gotten used to them. After all, I drove her for 14 years.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,375 Posts
Typically, the Gen1 Ridgeline's brakes are okay for daily driving but can easily go bad (spungy) if the fluid gets contaminated. The Gen1's brake performance under load is not so good, so having a good set of trailer brakes is important.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That is good to know. I have that control unit in the truck. I didn't know what it was for. I didn't order any when we bought our camper, because it is so light. 950 Lbs, with a 120 Lb tounge weight.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
That is good to know. I have that control unit in the truck. I didn't know what it was for. I didn't order any when we bought our camper, because it is so light. 950 Lbs, with a 120 Lb tounge weight.
It is not hard to increase your brake performance. You can go as far as upgrading to a performance aftermarket setup with slotted and vented discs and four piston calipers or you can just upgrade your brake pads. EBC sells some nice pads that will decrease your stopping distance. Just remember that the more agressive the pad the more bight you will get as well as more brake dust, thus the pad will not last as long. Regardless, keeping the brake fluid in good working order will always be a requirement if you want your brakes to perform, regardless of what you upgrade to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am checking into 2 different things. I have drilled and slotted front rotors. I am looking at either the master cylinder, or the ABS module. Brakes were bled 3 times now, and still mush. The master cylinder isn't very expensive, but the ABS module!! Well I better buy a rebuilt at $169, or new at well over $1200.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
I am checking into 2 different things. I have drilled and slotted front rotors. I am looking at either the master cylinder, or the ABS module. Brakes were bled 3 times now, and still mush. The master cylinder isn't very expensive, but the ABS module!! Well I better buy a rebuilt at $169, or new at well over $1200.
Explain "mush" to me? Are you just getting more pedal travel than you would like but if fully applied you stop good or is it hard to stop even when the pedal is fully applied?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
When you step on the brake peddle it should go down maybe a couple of inches from the top. This brake peddle goes down near the floor, and if you try to pump it up nothing happens. I have checked all of the brake lines, so no fluid is getting out. The dealer bled them 3 times now, so the system has been flushed. Still spongy.. I heard that the Master can go bad, but if I change that out the only other would be the ABS module. The ABS module will not throw codes if it goes bad, and I haven't found yet how to test it..

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
When you step on the brake peddle it should go down maybe a couple of inches from the top. This brake peddle goes down near the floor, and if you try to pump it up nothing happens. I have checked all of the brake lines, so no fluid is getting out. The dealer bled them 3 times now, so the system has been flushed. Still spongy.. I heard that the Master can go bad, but if I change that out the only other would be the ABS module. The ABS module will not throw codes if it goes bad, and I haven't found yet how to test it..
There is more brake pedal movement in Honda's large vehicle lineup than I have experienced in other domestic brand vehicles and replacing the brake fluid has always improved that pedal travel on my 2009 RTL (with nav.). I have read the same about the master cylinder but I have not had the need to replace mine (still works good).

21 - 40 of 45 Posts