Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 RTL came from the factory with the 7-pin wiring harness. Problem is, the previous owner backed over something in the rear and smashed that wiring harness end and the bracket up pretty good. I bent the bracket back into place, and the wiring harness end is still there, but the weather cover is gone and there's no way to attach it to the bracket.

So, I have three options.

(1) For about $45 delivered, I can buy a new harness end from Honda (P/N 32113-SJC-A00).

(2) For about $25, I can buy a Hoppy combo connector and wire a new combo 7-pin/4-pin connector to it.

(3) For potentially less than either of those, I might come across someone parting out a Ridgeline who could sell me this harness end.

Assuming (1) and (2) are most likely, which way would you go? Is there an obvious advantage to the OEM connector? Having a combo 7-pin/4-pin connector would be nice, and I don't lose much because I will otherwise throw my busted connector away anyway, so I have a good start to wire a different option to the vehicle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to be clear on (2), I would wire this in using the Honda OE trailer wiring lead that comes off the vehicle. The harness part number I have is about a 12" section that plugs into the vehicle on one end and mounts to the trailer hitch bracket on the other end. To wire-in a Hoppy connector, I would simply cut off the broken bracket end of my 12" wiring section and wire the Hoppy connector to it. This would not modify any of the wiring on the vehicle, and I wouldn't have to use any "t connectors" or any other aftermarket parts.

I'm mostly interested to hear how durable the Honda trailer connector is. If everyone says that it's over-built and very tough, that'd be worth buying. But if folks say that it feels flimsy and doesn't hold up well, I might as well try an aftermarket product.

Thx!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '09 RTL came from the factory with the 7-pin wiring harness. Problem is, the previous owner backed over something in the rear and smashed that wiring harness end and the bracket up pretty good. I bent the bracket back into place, and the wiring harness end is still there, but the weather cover is gone and there's no way to attach it to the bracket.

So, I have three options.

(1) For about $45 delivered, I can buy a new harness end from Honda (P/N 32113-SJC-A00).

(2) For about $25, I can buy a Hoppy combo connector and wire a new combo 7-pin/4-pin connector to it.

(3) For potentially less than either of those, I might come across someone parting out a Ridgeline who could sell me this harness end.

Assuming (1) and (2) are most likely, which way would you go? Is there an obvious advantage to the OEM connector? Having a combo 7-pin/4-pin connector would be nice, and I don't lose much because I will otherwise throw my busted connector away anyway, so I have a good start to wire a different option to the vehicle.
I think that option 2 is the best for you. I had kind of the same issue and I was buying Hoppy combo connector and I am glad that I did it :act002:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts