Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Will you attend the 2010 RL plant tour and meet

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Great pictures and re-caps. Sounds like one heck of a trip! More pics???

·
Registered
463 Posts
What a great time my daughter and I had.We would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who put this meet and plant tour together.A big THANK YOU to Honda for taking the time and giving us a fantastic tour of the plant.:act030:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
For the 38 people who voted that they wanted to do this, but couldn't at this time - Honda invited us back. We may have to take them up on it!

·
Registered
11,306 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I am in Memphis tonight - I will post when I get home.

I joined up with the ROC gang at the Barber Motorsports museum today after meeting my new boss this morning in Atlanta and we had lunch at the Bass Pro shop.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
..... I had to come home early due to my daughter being in the hospital.
Hope everything is Ok Duncan... I know we missed a good meet...

For the 38 people who voted that they wanted to do this, but couldn't at this time - Honda invited us back. We may have to take them up on it!
Great write up Oarnold... up to 40 now... :rolleyes:
Next year meet ?? 50 + :cheerleader:
I know we missed a good meet...

This was our first meet and it was really nice to put faces to names. The tour was fantastic and the Honda people really went out of the way for us. Spending the rest of the weekend enjoying the sights in Anniston. Really enjoyed our youngest group member...Thanks for the hat. Looking forward to future meets. :act024:
Pass the word on !!! I know alot of the veterans of the ROC attend meets, but it is really great when you get to meet newer members. Wish more new members would attend.

:act024:

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
Want more pics? Here's a pic. I am sooo cautious about glass breakage considering my back luck with glass. Had to replace the windshield in my '07 Ridgeline due to a rock. Rocks killed TWO windshields on the little white Mazda truck I had last year (the second was within days after I replaced the first one). Insurance also replaced the back glass in my '07 Ridgeline that exploded without obvious cause. So, it looks like this windshield replacement is going to be on my tab. It happened just outside of Jackson, MS on my way back to Texas. I was absolutely ill over it. Up close it almost looks like a BB, but I think it's actually a chunk of lead from a tire weight. Whatever it is, it's still in the windshield. I saw it coming - just one of those freak, random things that couldn't have been avoided. I'm very cautious about keeping my distance behind people - especially things with big tires. A small white van was passing me about 70 MPH on I-20 when this was kicked up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sound's like it was a great tour, as I knew it would be.
I know my granddaughter and I were impressed with everything we saw on our tour 4/1/2010.
Seeing the Ridgeline being built would of been a highlight, but Honda is very secrative about what they do and what they want people to see.
Can't blame them for that.
I would try to make the next tour if I knew I could see the Ridgeline being built.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I hope we can do the tour again. But I can imagine that IF Honda does a redesign, and IF it is the 2012 model, then we may be facing not seeing the line again next summer because they definitely don't want anyone seeing the products until they are ready for everyone to see them. Just to remind everyone, Honda already has released photos of the new Odyssey on their news site, but they still didn't want us to see it yet on the line, even when most of us would have completely ignored it looking for Ridges.

And then, concerning the future Ridgelines... like Roger said, there was a feeling in the air that there will be a new generation. But none of the managers gave even the slightest hint what would happen. It became clear that their task in Alabama is to build what they are told to build, and do it to the highest level of quality they can. But they don't make that decision there.

There was a discussion that if there are any changes to the Ridge, it is currently at its maximum length. There are some points along the assembly line where the tailgates are down and there is not room for workers to work safely between two units.

We did have a few minutes of discussion about marketing the Ridgeline. At one point the room we were all talking over each other because everyone gripes about how badly the vehicle has been marketed. After getting two ears' full of our griping about salespeople not knowing the RL product, Mr. Ernst said he has an upcoming meeting with (I don't remember the exact position) a dealership liason and that they would discuss improving sales people's familiarity with the Ridgeline. (Someone please correct me if I don't have the wording of that just right).

But they all enjoy the Ridgeline at the plant. We saw several in the parking lot, driven by employees. Several were parked out away from the other vehicles to protect against careless door dings, just like when we go shopping.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #195 (Edited)
The Victoria hotel was comfortable and a good place to stay. But their internet performance was lacking, and sometimes non-existent. Here is some more that I wrote Saturday morning, but couldn't get uploaded...

More about the plant…
Several of us noted that the employees all seemed very happy. Many of the "associates" were smiling while they worked, and it was not just because they knew they were being watched. There is a dedicated effort by Honda to make sure the employees are comfortable, able to give feedback about their work, and know what is expected from them. We walked by break rooms and the workers were happy and relaxed.

Also, everyone from Honda, ev-er-y-one, wore white work suits. From the newest workers on the line to upper management. Those working with or near sharp metal surfaces, including those working on the door panels, wore kevlar gloves and arm sleeves to protect against cuts. Every day at noon, upper management goes out on the lines to participate in re-training to deal with whatever issues of poor performance were measured the day before.

Also interesting was part of the assembly line that looked like it had nice wood flooring. Not off to the side, but the actual moving line itself had wood flooring. This was where a lot of interior assembly was performed, and the vehicles didn't have their tires yet. Turns out, the moving line had a plywood floor that had a nice finish. Our tour leader said the wood surface had just enough "give" to reduce human joint wear compared to a metal surface.

All assembly workers must be proficient at two processes, and they are rotated into the different positions at regular intervals. Of course, most workers know multiple tasks.

They are also encouraged to propose ideas to better their tasks. They pointed out one example - the workers installing the main wiring harness into the Pilot dashboards noticed that a warm harness flexed into position much easier than the room temperature ones. So Honda built small booths near the line, much like the french fry booth at a fast-food restaurant, where the harnesses bask under heat lamps before installation.

After the tour, one of our members wondered out loud if they were taking applications for employment...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
It happened just outside of Jackson, MS on my way back to Texas. I was absolutely ill over it.
Sorry about that Roger. That's two damaged windshields for this meet. I hope that is all the damage we suffer, and that they are able to fix it without complications.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
This sign greets you as you pull up to The Victoria. I think we won them over, though. Left to right are Craig (OwnerCS), Michael (72coupe) and Mary, Craig's son Adam who is incredibly keen on RLs, and Frances and Duncan (25 year Honda owner),

Duncan and Larry (larryr)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Nicholas ran over some paint on the way - no, actually this is an adhesive graphic. His 2005 truck looks great.

We arrived at the gate on the directions, but were instructed to go to a different gate. From left to right Fla-Vyk, paulmooney,72coupe, and csimo.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts