Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know many of you do not agree with the price but it is what it is. I’m trying to find out if there are any improvements to the POI searching capabilities in the 2010 update. If it fixes those issues it would be well worth the upgrade price to me.

I hate using a phone as a nav and I have a Garmin that I use when I travel but I like having the built in Nav. That being said the POI search in the Honda (I believe these are made by Alpine) is the worst I have ever seen. We’ve had OEM nav in 2 Toyotas 2005 Sienna & 2010 Camry as well as an after market Eclipse Nav (Eclipse and the Toyota OEM are made by Fujitsu Ten, or at least they were until recently, the 2010 Camry has the same interface and software so I’m guessing it’s still the same).

When I got my 2009 Ridgeline we decided to do a quick test between my nav and my wifes 2005 (with a 2007 disk). We picked 10 fairly common places (not little holes in the wall but large business like Costco and restaurant chains) to see if each had them. The older Toyota had all 10 and found them with no problem. After about 30 minutes I was only able to find 2 of them in the ridgeline.

If you've upgraded to the 2010 please let me know how it is.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there anything with the new 2010 DVD that prohibits more than 1 download
I have a chance to buy a second hand DVD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to sound like a hater but the Navigation in the Ridgeline is no comparison to a top quality Garmin. I am really not happy with the system and sooo expensive to upgrade the disc.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
The integration of existing vehicle systems that is the real advantage of the Navi option, not the Navi itself, IMO.

But with new Garmins, and other portables coming out with voice recognition, not to mention a large variety of in-dash units that outperform the Honda unit in most things, the advantages of a factory unit tend to fade.
The price of DVD upgrades alone is a big deterrent for many of us. (been there, done that).

You can have quite a dynamite system for the Honda upgrade price, and certainly one that would satisfy even some fussy people for a lot less.
But different strokes for different folks certainly applies here. I can see a little better resale value being an advantage, as well as for folks leasing their RL.
I don't condemn anyone for their decisions, it is certainly a candy store when it comes to options that are the best flavor for everyone's taste.

I find the lack of Bluetooth technology for all models more irritating than the price of the nav DVD. Especially when BT is standard for even some economy Fords and Kia models.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The DVD for Navi is read only and it will work more than once. My wife sold her 2008 Navi DVD to help pay part of the cost of the 2010 update. Go for it. It is usually a good bit cheaper to buy a second hand disk !!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I read in Car & Driver a while back that when you purchase a new vehicle with a Nav component, the data in it is usually a year old at the time of assembly. I recently had an opportunity to drive a "new" 2009 Ridgeline and it had none of the area streets on it (they are three years old).

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I read in Car & Driver a while back that when you purchase a new vehicle with a Nav component, the data in it is usually a year old at the time of assembly. I recently had an opportunity to drive a "new" 2009 Ridgeline and it had none of the area streets on it (they are three years old).
Nothing has changed in that regard from when I had my MDX in 2002 with built in navi.

·
Registered
61 Posts
First Post, just bought a 2008 RTL and love it...asked dealer if there was a Navi update and they stated no, well there is, I went to the Honda Site and reviewed the information on the 2010 update it only has updates for a few geographic areas according to their info and technically it has only minor updates FWIW.

·
Registered
203 Posts
First Post, just bought a 2008 RTL and love it...asked dealer if there was a Navi update and they stated no, well there is, I went to the Honda Site and reviewed the information on the 2010 update it only has updates for a few geographic areas according to their info and technically it has only minor updates FWIW.
I must live in one of the specific geographic areas. The '10 update for my wife's 08 Accord added a lot of new streets that were not in there before. I think it does up date streets all over. There would be no reason to have one if it didn't !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it possible for several people to go in on a DVD upgrade and then let each one download to their unit? Or does the DVD have to remain in the system?

I have a 2008 RTL and would like to upgrade, but I can't see paying $189.00 for a low quality navigation upgrade.

:act002:

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Is it possible for several people to go in on a DVD upgrade and then let each one download to their unit? Or does the DVD have to remain in the system?

I have a 2008 RTL and would like to upgrade, but I can't see paying $189.00 for a low quality navigation upgrade.

:act002:
It needs to remain in the system to work correctly, or you can be sure there would be a lot of sharing groups around.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is the navi perfect in the Ridge? Nope. Is it usefull? Yup. I think the best feature is the bluetooth link up with my blackberry!:act024:

·
Registered
26 Posts
You must have the DVD disk in the reader for the system to fully function. However, and I am not endorsing this as I am sure it is copyright protected against illegal duplication, but you could burn a copy of the DVD and it will work with your navigation system. I keep my original DVD in my home with my other original software disks and run the copied disk in my truck. I personally have not shared my disk with anyone, but it is possible so do what you will with this information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following a weekend road trip where the Ridgeline's nav didn't have some locations we thought it should have, I came to this thread seeking information about updating the DVD. Following tips posted here, I found on Honda's website a note that the 2010 updated DVD will be available "at the end of September," so mark your calendars.

I also noticed that the navigation database is provided by NAVTEQ, which is one of the biggest providers of GPS data. They provide maps for Garmin and Magellan as well as just about every car maker from Pontiac to Maybach. (Google once was a NAVTEQ customer but I understand it now uses Tele Atlas; Bing is a NAVTEQ customer.) I'm not sure why the maps in the Ridgeline's system would be any less accurate or complete than anyone else's, unless NAVTEQ provides different levels of service at different price points (which they very well may).

·
Registered
61 Posts
2011 Disk is available at Navteq.com for 99 buck plus s&H, just got mine loaded on one disk for the 2008 RTL with a problem. I would like to give the old disk to my kids for their 2005 Odyssee, but it may require a two step process using a set up disk to update their flash memory first. Any one got a copy?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Just out of curiousity, when you guys by your update, does it come with the Canadian version too? (2 DVDS).

Mine came with both US & CND discs!

Wendigo mentioned here that they burned their copy and keep the original in the house. That's sounds like a smart idea, just in case.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Just out of curiousity, when you guys by your update, does it come with the Canadian version too? (2 DVDS).

Wendigo mentioned here that they burned their copy and keep the original in the house. That's sounds like a smart idea, just in case.
I thought copies would not work in System?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts

The 2010 North America DVD PKG came with 1 Disc this is the same I think as the 2011 DVD. It says the data base includes metro/rural cities in the 48 contiguous United States, Hawaii and Canadian metropolitain cities within approximately 100 miles of the border. This datqa base does not include Alaska.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts