Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I haven't even purchased my Ridgeline yet but I already bout the Pilot OEM wheels/tires (10 miles on them) off this reseller. I've read that 09 Pilot's won't work in this forum so I assumed 2010 wouldn't fit. Then I called Superstition Springs Honda in Mesa and spoke to the parts department and the guy told me his dad just put 2010 Pilot Touring wheels on his 06 RTL...my same scenario. So we'll see. If not, check back with me in a few days if someone wants to purchase this wheel/tire set.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
There have been quite a few people with 09 pilot wheels on their trucks. I don't know where you saw they wouldn't work, but that info was bad. The only thing that wouldn't work on older models were the tpms sensors so you had to swap sensors out of the factory wheels to the pilot wheels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and reassurance. I'm buying RTL this morning and then picking up the 2010 Pilot Touring wheels/tires after--they look so good. And great to know about needing the original sensors since I was thinking of just buying new ones. Rookie question: How do I add that "signature" of what modifications are in my RTL?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
First of welcome to the ROC! There are a number of Arizona Ridgeline owners, including some who are members of this club. Be sure to check out this link:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32985

and do you best to make it up even if it's just for a day!

As for editing your signitaure.....go to the "quick links" tab near the top of the ROC page, click once and go down to "User Control Panel" and you'll find a link to edit your signature.

Also, don't forget pictures of your new ride!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ok, I haven't even purchased my Ridgeline yet but I already bout the Pilot OEM wheels/tires (10 miles on them) off this reseller. I've read that 09 Pilot's won't work in this forum so I assumed 2010 wouldn't fit. Then I called Superstition Springs Honda in Mesa and spoke to the parts department and the guy told me his dad just put 2010 Pilot Touring wheels on his 06 RTL...my same scenario. So we'll see. If not, check back with me in a few days if someone wants to purchase this wheel/tire set.
Welcome to the ROC. I think the info on the Pilot wheels you were reading was for the TPMS sensors in the Pilot wheels. The TPMS sensors won't work in the older RL's but the wheels will fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just bought my 2006 RTL today and the 2010 Pilot wheels fit. I really like the polished, conservative look and appeal they add.

Thanks again for the advice and info 07_rtx. RustyH, thanks for the signature tip.

I'll have pics up soon. It looks like all the other stock silver Ridgelines except with Pilot wheels. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, I had Purcell's pull the TPMS from the original wheels. The original owners of the Pilot wheels pulled their TPMS out. Either way, the Pilot TPMS wouldn't have worked, right?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
There have been quite a few people with 09 pilot wheels on their trucks. I don't know where you saw they wouldn't work, but that info was bad. The only thing that wouldn't work on older models were the tpms sensors so you had to swap sensors out of the factory wheels to the pilot wheels.
Hey 07_rtx, So my tpms on my current rims will fit of 09 pilot rims?? How do they come off ? Is it easy to do? Thanks for any and all info... I am currently looking at pilot 09 rims that are 17"
Mike

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Hey 07_rtx, So my tpms on my current rims will fit of 09 pilot rims?? How do they come off ? Is it easy to do? Thanks for any and all info... I am currently looking at pilot 09 rims that are 17"
Mike
Yes your old tpms sensors will work with the 09 pilot wheels. Any tire place can swap the tpms over for you. I assume you plan on using the stock tires and if not the stock tires will have to come off to get the tpms sensors off. But it is an easy change over so no worries. Just have your tire place put your old sensors in the wheels.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
09' and newer Pilot or Ridgeline TPMS tire senors will not work with older RL's. I learned this the hard way. I bought a set of Pilot rims, off an '09 Pilot, that had less than 100 miles on the rims brand new TPMS sensors. I figured, since the sensors have a finite battery life, I would use the new sensors, so I wouldn't have to worry about changing them out for a while.

I called over to the local Honda garage and specifically asked if the newer sensors would work with my '06 RL. The Honda tech I talked to told me that the newer monitors will talk with the older systems, they just have to sync them with a special hand-held unit after they are installed. So, I set up an appt. to have the new rims put on along with the new sensors. Well, long story short, no matter WTF they tried, the newer TPMS sensors would not communicate with my truck. Turns out... The newer sensors "talk a different language" and the TPM systems in the older trucks cannot understand what they are saying. So, they had to take all the tires off all the rims and reinstall my old sensors.

·
Registered
959 Posts
09' and newer Pilot or Ridgeline TPMS tire senors will not work with older RL's. I learned this the hard way. I bought a set of Pilot rims, off an '09 Pilot, that had less than 100 miles on the rims brand new TPMS sensors. I figured, since the sensors have a finite battery life, I would use the new sensors, so I wouldn't have to worry about changing them out for a while.

I called over to the local Honda garage and specifically asked if the newer sensors would work with my '06 RL. The Honda tech I talked to told me that the newer monitors will talk with the older systems, they just have to sync them with a special hand-held unit after they are installed. So, I set up an appt. to have the new rims put on along with the new sensors. Well, long story short, no matter WTF they tried, the newer TPMS sensors would not communicate with my truck. Turns out... The newer sensors "talk a different language" and the TPM systems in the older trucks cannot understand what they are saying. So, they had to take all the tires off all the rims and reinstall my old sensors.
You are correct about the TPMS sensors. I just bought Touring rims for my 2010 Pilot and there was a guy at the Honda dealership putting Touring rims on his 2006 Ridgeline and the TPMS sensors wouldn't work.

Also, to the OP you'll need new lug nuts. I just swapped my EX rims on my Pilot with Touring rims and the lug nuts were different.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Also, to the OP you'll need new lug nuts. I just swapped my EX rims on my Pilot with Touring rims and the lug nuts were different.
Good point Silver...I was going to mention that in my last post but I forgot. Yes, if you are putting Pilot rims on your RL, you will have to get different lugs.

I ended up ordering a set of lugs and locking lugs from Majestic...for less than what my dealership wanted just for the set of locking lugs. I think I got everything from Majestic for around $60 plus shipping, while my stealership wanted something like $80 for the set of locking lugs alone, plus $4+ a piece for the regular lugs. I think the regular lugs from Majestic were something like $1.30 a piece.

Oh, and as luck would have it, the locking lug set for the Pilot happen to be on sale at the time I bought them...otherwise they would have cost me around $50 by themselves. Still would have saved about $80 compared to what they wanted at my local Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks for all of your comments, now if I can make the deal on the rims I'll know everything I need before going to the Tire Dealer....Hope to be posting soon for my Stock rims and locking lugs for sale...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts