Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my beautiful Dark Cherry Pearl RTL in July 2010 with something like 21 miles on the odometer. I'll be driving it to work Sunday for the last time, 211,690 miles further down the road.

Looking back over the road between those two mileposts, I think I've done about seven eighths of what one can do with a Ridgeline. It's an amazing vehicle. It drives so smoothly, I'm lulled into forgetting it's more than a SUV—until a truck task comes up and I find I can carry it off with my Ridgeline.

So, here's why I think this magnificent beast owes me nothing at this point in its life:

• I've done maintenance strictly by the MM. The most I've ever gone past a recommended interval is maybe 300 miles, because I was traveling.
  • I'm on my third set of tires. Honda supplied it with the Michelins, and I've stayed with those. I've had two flat tires in eight years. Once was on a cold slushy February evening, and that was possibly a road hazard. The tires were due for replacement at that point. The other was in the parking lot at Costco, and they had just put on a new set of rubber about 5K previous. They replaced that one at no charge.
  • The TPMS worked fine from the factory. I accepted a rebuilt set of TMPS sensors at a tire change, and it was no end of trouble from leaky air valves. With the last set of tires, that's all settled down, and they do a nitrogen fill now. I know some of my fellow ROC'ers think it's hogwash, but the nitro fill seems to stop the problem of slow leaks.
  • Two brake jobs: one in a hurry from a Monroe muffler shop (big mistake), and the other from a reputable local mechanic who charged about 40% less than the dealership's shop and did it right.
  • The 100K rebuild: totally worth it, in my humble opinion. Mine was about $1,800, which is mid-high pricewise.
  • No issues with radiator fluid crossing into the oil system. But I still have two more days of ownership, so cross your fingers!
  • Three collisions, including one where the Ridgeline absorbed dangerous energy and saved both of us from serious injury. I've posted about it elsewhere (including the crazy saga of the guy who hit me from behind on the Interstate and decided that, somehow, my insurance should pay for his damages). Another was at the curbside on a Sunday morning, when a person parked ahead of me, got out of her card to help her father out on the curbside, but left the engine running and the tranny in reverse. The third was two weeks ago, when my spouse backed into our camper and cracked the right rear taillight. Two of the three got fully restored through insurance. For the rear-end collision they rented me a Ram 1500HD to drive while the Ridgeline was being repaired and repainted. It cured me of wanting a bigger truck.
  • I've towed utility trailers and two different campers with this truck. The current camper weighs close to the towing limit of 5,000 pounds, but the Ridgeline feels smooth and stable, and does not ride too low on the rear suspension. We have a nifty weight distribution hitch by Andersen that uses chains and a polymeric torsion spring to keep the camper from swaying.
  • I've hauled bags (and bags, and bags) of concrete, landscaping material, mortar, and concrete blocks with this truck. I've hauled lumber (sheet goods and sticks), a hydraulic posthole digger, a snowblower, and pretty much anything else that would fit in the bed.
  • I've moved one of my daughters through multiple college and career locations with all her worldly goods, seven times. The trunk came in handy, as did the bed cover, especially when we were doing a move from the Bronx. A couple of times she had to sit with her knees up to her chin, but we got it all. Handy rule: driver gets all the space he needs.
  • The rear seat support pulleys held out until nearly 190K. Then, they failed within a couple of days of each other. It's annoying, and if I were to continue owning this Ridgeline I'd see if I could locate one of those amazing repair kits a member once marketed and fix them.
  • I tore out the factory radio about three years ago, and replaced it with a Sony Bluetooth head unit that has a full touchscreen display. Bluetooth wasn't available when I bought the truck, and the Gen1 radio didn't change much from the v1 model that first shipped in 2003. It was almost too easy to open the dash, pull the old radio, and install the new one. I lost the subwoofer when I did this, but the convenience and safety factors outweighed this.
  • I've had almost no problem with lights or other electrical components. One of the two horns stopped working for about 5 minutes one damp day. Never happened before, never happened since. No burned out headlights, and the only taillight I've ever had to replace was the one that blew when I got rear-ended.
What made me think about all this was my experience yesterday, when I took my Ridgeline over to a car wash/oil change place. (Yes, the B14 service just came around again—shhhh!) There were layers of grime inside and out from late summer and early fall activities, but the staff at the car wash cleaned and vacuumed and polished, and in 30 minutes, for $20, handed me a very handsome, Dark Cherry Pearl RTL. Except for the headlight lenses, which are starting to haze over and would benefit from some time with a 3M restoration treatment, the truck still looks beautiful. And, one dealer offered me $5,300 for it before the wash!

I did not expect that I'd have a truck on my hands that would hold value so well, with so many miles on it, and still run smoothly and quietly. This one does. I'm ready to move on only because I think it's time to retire it from towing, and we don't have space or money for a third vehicle (the second would be my spouse's leased CR-V).

So, farewell Ridgeline.

I'll be driving to a dealer about 80 miles away on Monday, and if all goes well, returning with a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. And a lump in my throat, perhaps.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,676 Posts
'Sounds like mine only I'm going to ride that horse for another 100,000 miles. The 8 second horn hasn't sounded yet.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Wow, great post bikerbudmatt! I've posted annually on the costs of ownership for my 07 DCP RTX. Hope my final report is as good as yours.

Reactions: bikerbudmatt

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well I was in the same boat , sold my 07 at the end of May, bought a 18 Ram, after 5+ months I can say it’s a very nice truck, but I do miss the Ridgeline, there are some thing about the Ram that I like :
Ram pros
Definitely gas mileage 19 in the city and 27 on the road however it is the v-6, it does have more get up and go than the RL
The ride is just as good as the Ridge
I like sitting high so this is a plus
The Bluetooth is nice my old Ridge didn’t have this
Not sure how it is in snow yet but I’ll keep you all informed
Things I miss about the Ridge
Two way tailgate
In bed trunk
Turning radius
Sliding rear window
Actually the front wheel drive
I’ll do a full review on the Ram in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was in the same boat , sold my 07 at the end of May, bought a 18 Ram, after 5+ months I can say it’s a very nice truck, but I do miss the Ridgeline, there are some thing about the Ram that I like :
Ram pros
Definitely gas mileage 19 in the city and 27 on the road however it is the v-6, it does have more get up and go than the RL
The ride is just as good as the Ridge
I like sitting high so this is a plus
The Bluetooth is nice my old Ridge didn’t have this
Not sure how it is in snow yet but I’ll keep you all informed
Things I miss about the Ridge
Two way tailgate
In bed trunk
Turning radius
Sliding rear window
Actually the front wheel drive
I’ll do a full review on the Ram in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.
I'm going to post my first impressions of the new Ridge in a new thread, but I did want to observe my comment in the OP about the Ram wasn't to denigrate it at all. Personally I didn't mind sitting that high, but my spouse (who like many spouses, has much shorter legs than mine) found it to be a real chore climbing into the cab.

Lots has changed on the Ridgeline since your 07 rolled off the line, because it was designed back in the Stone Age (and even though my 10 was a v2 model, it carried over a lot of stuff from the v1). When I made a list of what I would miss about the Ridgeline, it turned out to be similar to yours. I was seriously considering the F-150 for a bit (with the Eco-Boost engine), but I realized I'd be paying at least 10K more and still wouldn't have AWD, which was important to me here in New England. 4WD is superior for intention, but inferior for everyday use in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply Dave!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
'Sounds like mine only I'm going to ride that horse for another 100,000 miles. The 8 second horn hasn't sounded yet.
That was the one pang of regret I felt this morning. Especially when the salespeople who weren't MY salesperson kept eyeing it and admiring it. They couldn't believe the odometer reading. Enjoy those next 100K miles!

(Oh, I finally stopped posting to Fuelly after about 150,000 miles. My fuel economy was so consistently between 18.5 and 19 mpg -- including today when I dropped it off -- that I finally got bored with it. I might track it for a while with the '19.)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow, great post bikerbudmatt! I've posted annually on the costs of ownership for my 07 DCP RTX. Hope my final report is as good as yours.
Thanks! DCP is not the only color, but I find it strangely soothing. And my new RTL-E has a different color name, but when the two were parked nose-to-tail in the dealer's lot it was clear they are pretty much the same. So there's that. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I took delivery of my beautiful Dark Cherry Pearl RTL in July 2010 with something like 21 miles on the odometer. I'll be driving it to work Sunday for the last time, 211,690 miles further down the road.

Looking back over the road between those two mileposts, I think I've done about seven eighths of what one can do with a Ridgeline. It's an amazing vehicle. It drives so smoothly, I'm lulled into forgetting it's more than a SUV—until a truck task comes up and I find I can carry it off with my Ridgeline.

So, here's why I think this magnificent beast owes me nothing at this point in its life:

• I've done maintenance strictly by the MM. The most I've ever gone past a recommended interval is maybe 300 miles, because I was traveling.
  • I'm on my third set of tires. Honda supplied it with the Michelins, and I've stayed with those. I've had two flat tires in eight years. Once was on a cold slushy February evening, and that was possibly a road hazard. The tires were due for replacement at that point. The other was in the parking lot at Costco, and they had just put on a new set of rubber about 5K previous. They replaced that one at no charge.
  • The TPMS worked fine from the factory. I accepted a rebuilt set of TMPS sensors at a tire change, and it was no end of trouble from leaky air valves. With the last set of tires, that's all settled down, and they do a nitrogen fill now. I know some of my fellow ROC'ers think it's hogwash, but the nitro fill seems to stop the problem of slow leaks.
  • Two brake jobs: one in a hurry from a Monroe muffler shop (big mistake), and the other from a reputable local mechanic who charged about 40% less than the dealership's shop and did it right.
  • The 100K rebuild: totally worth it, in my humble opinion. Mine was about $1,800, which is mid-high pricewise.
  • No issues with radiator fluid crossing into the oil system. But I still have two more days of ownership, so cross your fingers!
  • Three collisions, including one where the Ridgeline absorbed dangerous energy and saved both of us from serious injury. I've posted about it elsewhere (including the crazy saga of the guy who hit me from behind on the Interstate and decided that, somehow, my insurance should pay for his damages). Another was at the curbside on a Sunday morning, when a person parked ahead of me, got out of her card to help her father out on the curbside, but left the engine running and the tranny in reverse. The third was two weeks ago, when my spouse backed into our camper and cracked the right rear taillight. Two of the three got fully restored through insurance. For the rear-end collision they rented me a Ram 1500HD to drive while the Ridgeline was being repaired and repainted. It cured me of wanting a bigger truck.
  • I've towed utility trailers and two different campers with this truck. The current camper weighs close to the towing limit of 5,000 pounds, but the Ridgeline feels smooth and stable, and does not ride too low on the rear suspension. We have a nifty weight distribution hitch by Andersen that uses chains and a polymeric torsion spring to keep the camper from swaying.
  • I've hauled bags (and bags, and bags) of concrete, landscaping material, mortar, and concrete blocks with this truck. I've hauled lumber (sheet goods and sticks), a hydraulic posthole digger, a snowblower, and pretty much anything else that would fit in the bed.
  • I've moved one of my daughters through multiple college and career locations with all her worldly goods, seven times. The trunk came in handy, as did the bed cover, especially when we were doing a move from the Bronx. A couple of times she had to sit with her knees up to her chin, but we got it all. Handy rule: driver gets all the space he needs.
  • The rear seat support pulleys held out until nearly 190K. Then, they failed within a couple of days of each other. It's annoying, and if I were to continue owning this Ridgeline I'd see if I could locate one of those amazing repair kits a member once marketed and fix them.
  • I tore out the factory radio about three years ago, and replaced it with a Sony Bluetooth head unit that has a full touchscreen display. Bluetooth wasn't available when I bought the truck, and the Gen1 radio didn't change much from the v1 model that first shipped in 2003. It was almost too easy to open the dash, pull the old radio, and install the new one. I lost the subwoofer when I did this, but the convenience and safety factors outweighed this.
  • I've had almost no problem with lights or other electrical components. One of the two horns stopped working for about 5 minutes one damp day. Never happened before, never happened since. No burned out headlights, and the only taillight I've ever had to replace was the one that blew when I got rear-ended.
What made me think about all this was my experience yesterday, when I took my Ridgeline over to a car wash/oil change place. (Yes, the B14 service just came around again—shhhh!) There were layers of grime inside and out from late summer and early fall activities, but the staff at the car wash cleaned and vacuumed and polished, and in 30 minutes, for $20, handed me a very handsome, Dark Cherry Pearl RTL. Except for the headlight lenses, which are starting to haze over and would benefit from some time with a 3M restoration treatment, the truck still looks beautiful. And, one dealer offered me $5,300 for it before the wash!

I did not expect that I'd have a truck on my hands that would hold value so well, with so many miles on it, and still run smoothly and quietly. This one does. I'm ready to move on only because I think it's time to retire it from towing, and we don't have space or money for a third vehicle (the second would be my spouse's leased CR-V).

So, farewell Ridgeline.

I'll be driving to a dealer about 80 miles away on Monday, and if all goes well, returning with a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. And a lump in my throat, perhaps.
I am delighted you had a good experience with your RL. I own an '07 RTX with 92000 miles and have been happy with it. For decades, I have been a admirer of Honda design and engineering, BUT some of the features on the RL really puzzle me. The climate control gauge lighting is so poor that it might as well not be backlit at all. I have two spaces on the center of my dash where switches could easily be placed and be easily viewed (blanking plates are there); yet, Honda placed the VSA and Cruise Control on/off switches below the dash to the left of the driver's knee. One should not have to take one's eyes off the road to locate these switches. Clearly the Honda designers had a "brain fart" when they made those decisions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am delighted you had a good experience with your RL. I own an '07 RTX with 92000 miles and have been happy with it. For decades, I have been a admirer of Honda design and engineering, BUT some of the features on the RL really puzzle me. The climate control gauge lighting is so poor that it might as well not be backlit at all. I have two spaces on the center of my dash where switches could easily be placed and be easily viewed (blanking plates are there); yet, Honda placed the VSA and Cruise Control on/off switches below the dash to the left of the driver's knee. One should not have to take one's eyes off the road to locate these switches. Clearly the Honda designers had a "brain fart" when they made those decisions.
The VSA is one thing but I agree with you on the cruise control switch. It’s like, really? Whose idea was that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, Honda realised their blunder. The 2006-08 had that crummy location I believe. The 2009-13 moved it up to the right-side of the steering wheel. A master click-on/click-off switch, the rocker set/resume toggle and a cancel button that remembers your last speed settings. I love cruise control through highway construction zones since you can never get a ticket. The way I look at it, even one speeding ticket during my annual 1500 mile trip/return to the ocean every summer would pay for the total fuel cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honda claims they made 50 changes to the Ridgeline in 2009, including the relocation of the cruise control interface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts