Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some assistance/advice. This is a long post, I wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

Summary of below post - Power steering was working, but not when parked and had to replace pump. Pump has been replaced twice in last 5 months, o-rings replaced, fluid flushed and bled. Lasts a couple weeks and starts shooting fluid out of reservoir and does so repeatedly until bled again, works for a couple more weeks and have to do the same thing again.

I bought a 2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL 3 years ago from a family member after their husband passed away and it didn't have any issues until about 5 months ago. Back in April I took it to get inspected and was told that the power steering pump needed to be replaced because there wasn't any power steering when parked, until you gave it some RPMs. I hadn't noticed any issues and thought they were trying to get money out of me so I took it to another shop owned by a family friend and got it inspected. He came back to me and told me the same thing about the pump, suggested I replace it, and said that despite it not having power steering when parked, he would pass it because it worked when giving it RPMs.

A week later, I bought a power steering pump from Autozone, it was a brand new pump from Duralast, not re-manufactured. Can't post link, but on Autozone it's the Duralast 5824n

We replaced the pump, put it on a lift and bled the lines. Spent about 20 minutes bleeding the lines to make sure all air was out. After everything was done I drove it a couple days and noticed a small whining occasionally, but nothing loud. After about 3 days, I was coming home from work and the whine was getting loud and steering was jerky. Pulled over, opened the hood, and power steering fluid was all over the chassis around the reservoir, all up on the inside of the reservoir cap and plug, and dripping on the ground. I put more fluid in it and spent 10-15 minutes turning the wheel back and forth in a parking lot with the engine running to try and get the air out. Made it home and fluid was still good. The next day it happened again so I topped it off to try and make it home and about 15 minutes down the road it started shooting out power steering fluid again. Noticed each time that the remaining fluid in the reservoir was foamy, filled with air.

Took the power steering pump back and got another one as it was covered under warranty. Also did some research and found that I should be using honda genuine power steering fluid, so we flushed the power steering system and filled it with honda genuine fluid. The truck did great for about a month or so. Drove it from Virginia to Florida and a couple weeks later I drove it from Virginia to Tennessee, didn't have any issues. A week after getting back from Tennessee I was coming home from work and it started shooting fluid out again. For some reason it was getting air in it, so I bled the system again, spent like an hour making sure air was completely out and only honda genuine fluid was in it.

After that it ran fine for about two weeks and when heading to work, it was shooting it out so bad that in my 45 mile commute, I had to stop and fill it 4 times, about 10 minutes apart each time. On the way home I had to do the same thing, went through 2 and a half bottles of fluid. I was fed up at this point and drove straight to the shop and went over it with them. After a couple days, they said the only thing they thought it could be is it needed Honda's OEM o-rings on it as it's getting air slowly built up in the system, so they replaced them.

Truck ran great for a couple weeks, until 3 days ago, it started shooting out fluid from the reservoir again. We've replaced the pump twice, o-rings from honda were finally put on, honda genuine fluid was used after flushing, all lines to/from the reservoir checked for leaks. Just can't seem to figure it out.

My next plan is to take it to honda and have them check it out, and if needed, replace the pump, reservoir, hoses, and flush the system. Only downside is their OEM pumps are around $350-$400, just for the part, so having them do all of this is going to get pricey.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,315 Posts
I don't recall having seen this issue arise before. After all is said and done... and if the Honda OEM part actually fixes the issue... I'm not sure what lesson we're supposed to learn. There's no reason an aftermarket pump should be at fault... and the chances of getting 2 bad pumps in a row?

Very strange.

I have replaced the fluid in both my Pilot and RL and simply let the pump prime the system and purge the lines. I completely replaced the PS fluid reservoir in the Pilot too. I've not had any problem with the PS system at all.

Now I do that with the front wheels elevated so I can rack the steering wheel left and right without stressing the steering system. And when I crank up the engine, the PS pump howls momentarily until the system gets primed. But so far replacing the fluid every 50k-ish miles has not been problematic at all. No leaks, no runs, no errors. So far.

I'll be curious to learn what the Honda shop finds on your system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, been a while and have an update on the issue.

After replacing the reservoir, flushing the entire system, and bleeding the air out, all went well for the last couple of months until yesterday. My wife and I were driving home from her family's house for Christmas and I got behind someone doing 15mph under the limit. When I got to a passing lane and started passing the guy, he sped up and was doing about 5mph over while I was passing so I gave it more throttle to get out of the lane and away from this guy. Not sure how high it revved, but went from about 60 to 65 quickly to pass him.

I immediately started noticing a whine once I got over which quickly got louder. After a couple of minutes, I noticed the steering was a little jerky and steering was working, but of course the slower I got the stiffer the steering. About 20 minutes later, I pulled into my driveway and popped the hood. Power steering fluid was low, there was overflow from the reservoir all over the frame, it sprayed the underside of the hood, and fluid that was still on the frame was dripping into the driveway.

This was the 3rd power steering pump this year and I'm taking it to honda tomorrow to diagnose it. The service tech on the phone went through it all with me and he hadn't seen the issue before.

Here is an outline of what it's had this year:
1) Failed inspection two places, didn't have power steering when in park indicating power steering failure. This was the original Honda pump.
2) Replaced pump with new Duralast pump (didn't want to go with remanufactured). Pump was replaced and lines bled. About a week later it got air in the lines and shot fluid out of the resevoir.
3) Took pump back and replaced it with a brand new one. Installed pump, replaced fluid, bled lines. Lasted a month and had the issue again.
4) Went back to shop and had them look at it, they replaced the o-ring on the pump with one from Honda because of similar issues reported in other models. Lasted about a month or two and the issue came back.
5) Lifted the truck, disconnected all power steering hoses, when disconnecting host from steering rack a massive amount of foamy power steering fluid came out, made sure everything was drained. After checking hoses, clamps, and connectors, installed new reservoir, filled it with honda genuine ps fluid and bled the lines while on the lift. Worked for 3 months until giving it high RPMs at which point it sucked air in somewhere.

Some are saying it could be the steering rack itself, but idk. Hoping honda comes back with more helpful info. If they say it's just the power steering pump, replace it and the issue never returns, then Duralast should stop making their pump.

·
Super Moderator
23,315 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RTL
145 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm thinking it's your rack. A seals gone bad, it's sucking in air and building pressure. Lot's of dealers are starting to do financing through outside companies. These are typically more reputable dealers as the finance companies don't like to go to court. Just a suggestion given the time of year and likely cost.

A less expensive alternative would be grabbing one off a low mileage pick-a-part place. This is not too common of a failure on these so the odds are in your favor. Let us know how this all works out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Late update on the issue. I forgot about this thread.

So in January 2020 I took it to the Honda garage to have them take a look. They replaced all the hoses, flushed the system, and some other odds and ends. The next day it happened again so I spoke with the garage and they said that it sounds like an issue with the rack, but they looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to a buddy's garage and had him put a new steering rack in it. After replacing the rack it no longer shoots out power steering fluid. The only downside is that immediately after replacing it, the tpms light comes on randomly going around turns and I lose power. This only happens for a few seconds, but will be easier to fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some assistance/advice. This is a long post, I wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

Summary of below post - Power steering was working, but not when parked and had to replace pump. Pump has been replaced twice in last 5 months, o-rings replaced, fluid flushed and bled. Lasts a couple weeks and starts shooting fluid out of reservoir and does so repeatedly until bled again, works for a couple more weeks and have to do the same thing again.

I bought a 2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL 3 years ago from a family member after their husband passed away and it didn't have any issues until about 5 months ago. Back in April I took it to get inspected and was told that the power steering pump needed to be replaced because there wasn't any power steering when parked, until you gave it some RPMs. I hadn't noticed any issues and thought they were trying to get money out of me so I took it to another shop owned by a family friend and got it inspected. He came back to me and told me the same thing about the pump, suggested I replace it, and said that despite it not having power steering when parked, he would pass it because it worked when giving it RPMs.

A week later, I bought a power steering pump from Autozone, it was a brand new pump from Duralast, not re-manufactured. Can't post link, but on Autozone it's the Duralast 5824n

We replaced the pump, put it on a lift and bled the lines. Spent about 20 minutes bleeding the lines to make sure all air was out. After everything was done I drove it a couple days and noticed a small whining occasionally, but nothing loud. After about 3 days, I was coming home from work and the whine was getting loud and steering was jerky. Pulled over, opened the hood, and power steering fluid was all over the chassis around the reservoir, all up on the inside of the reservoir cap and plug, and dripping on the ground. I put more fluid in it and spent 10-15 minutes turning the wheel back and forth in a parking lot with the engine running to try and get the air out. Made it home and fluid was still good. The next day it happened again so I topped it off to try and make it home and about 15 minutes down the road it started shooting out power steering fluid again. Noticed each time that the remaining fluid in the reservoir was foamy, filled with air.

Took the power steering pump back and got another one as it was covered under warranty. Also did some research and found that I should be using honda genuine power steering fluid, so we flushed the power steering system and filled it with honda genuine fluid. The truck did great for about a month or so. Drove it from Virginia to Florida and a couple weeks later I drove it from Virginia to Tennessee, didn't have any issues. A week after getting back from Tennessee I was coming home from work and it started shooting fluid out again. For some reason it was getting air in it, so I bled the system again, spent like an hour making sure air was completely out and only honda genuine fluid was in it.

After that it ran fine for about two weeks and when heading to work, it was shooting it out so bad that in my 45 mile commute, I had to stop and fill it 4 times, about 10 minutes apart each time. On the way home I had to do the same thing, went through 2 and a half bottles of fluid. I was fed up at this point and drove straight to the shop and went over it with them. After a couple days, they said the only thing they thought it could be is it needed Honda's OEM o-rings on it as it's getting air slowly built up in the system, so they replaced them.

Truck ran great for a couple weeks, until 3 days ago, it started shooting out fluid from the reservoir again. We've replaced the pump twice, o-rings from honda were finally put on, honda genuine fluid was used after flushing, all lines to/from the reservoir checked for leaks. Just can't seem to figure it out.

My next plan is to take it to honda and have them check it out, and if needed, replace the pump, reservoir, hoses, and flush the system. Only downside is their OEM pumps are around $350-$400, just for the part, so having them do all of this is going to get pricey.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
I have replaced my power steering pump (07 RL) due to leaks all over the motor and pullies, etc. It is whining again and I take it to the mechanic who replaced the pump and said that I also notice a clunk in the front end. He replaced some faulty parts they had put in under warranty....still had the clunk. Turned out to be the rack and pinion. Leaking at the boots. Draining Power Steering Fluid....so now I put up with the clunk and add fluid frequently rather that pay the $900 repair bill...

·
Super Moderator
23,315 Posts
I have replaced my power steering pump (07 RL) due to leaks all over the motor and pullies, etc. It is whining again and I take it to the mechanic who replaced the pump and said that I also notice a clunk in the front end. He replaced some faulty parts they had put in under warranty....still had the clunk. Turned out to be the rack and pinion. Leaking at the boots. Draining Power Steering Fluid....so now I put up with the clunk and add fluid frequently rather that pay the $900 repair bill...
That doesn't sound like fun. Any idea why the R&P is leaking? Any accidents in the past or anything that might cause it to leak?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The guy before me let his son take it to Colorado just before he sold to mt...strut/shock and bushing issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts