Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm considering buying a 2010 RL, fairly clean vehicle from dealer. 77K miles with service records for $14.9 currently. Seems pretty solid, but there is a black stain on the tailgate, what I would guess to be carbon burnoff since it is above the exhaust exit mostly. Haven't checked records out, but before I go in, has anyone experienced this specifically with their RL. I've seen plenty of vehicles with carbon deposits, but wanted to check and see if it was a RL specific red flag. Pic is attached.

Thanks!
ridgeline.jpg

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
That's very unusual - can't say I've ever seen that on a Ridgeline before. Too close to a fire? Vandalized? Bad paint job? Engine modifications and/or problems resulting in gross amount of soot, but why not on bumper? I can't help but notice the tailgate has been de-badged. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to by any used vehicle, but I'd be particularly cautious with this one.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,169 Posts
Did you ask? I don't understand why the tailgate would look like that and not the bumper skin?

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Pretty high on the tailgate to be from the Ridgeline. Is here more soot down low? If so it could indicate a failed cat and there should be several codes indicating that. Maybe the previous owner drove around a lot with the tailgate down. Can it be easily wiped off?

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I guess another question I would have is, why is there snow on the ground? This vehicle must have been sitting on the lot for a very long time. It seems like any dealer worth their salt, would have taken a more updated picture if they had any interest in selling the vehicle.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
I guess another question I would have is, why is there snow on the ground? This vehicle must have been sitting on the lot for a very long time. It seems like any dealer worth their salt, would have taken a more updated picture if they had any interest in selling the vehicle.
The seller is a small, used car dealer whose office is a portable storage building in Anchorage. They don't publish VIN's or car history reports on their website. They've been around for a few years and this Ridgeline has been sitting on their lot since at least January.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
The seller is a small, used car dealer whose office is a portable storage building in Anchorage. They don't publish VIN's or car history reports on their website. They've been around for a few years and this Ridgeline has been sitting on their lot since at least January.
That probably explains the marks on the tailgate - some kind of heater exhausting near the back of the truck.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 7 of 7 Posts