Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting!

Bought my 2010 RL RTS, but had to leave the country (duty calls!!). I'm back and looking forward to my first trip towing a 19' Airstream Bambi.

Do I need to do anything special, like install a integrated brake controller, to take this on a trip? I had an IBC on my last truck, but don't know if it's necessary on the RL. I also have an anti-sway trailer hitch (brand escapes memory.)

Can I just "plug in" the fancy trailer hitch and drive away or do I need to take the RL in for IBC installation? If so, can some tell me what's a reasonable cost? Isn't the wiring already done?

Thanks for your advice.

Keith

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
Howdy Keith,

First, I'd like to thank you for keeping us safe here at home and secondly, congrats on your new truck and a warm west coast welcome to this great club of like-minded friendly folks.

There are a ton of very experienced experts with lots of great towing info here.

Happy Camping! and safe towing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes, you will need an IBC. The RV dealer installed my Prodigy in about 15 minutes and I believe the total cost was $120. I tow a 22' Airstream Safari Sport with no problems. I do not use a WDH or anti-sway device.:act024:

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Welcome to the club.... and welcome back.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome home, Welcome back to the club and a sincere Thank You for your service.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You'll need the Honda wiring harness and a brake controller. The good news is that the wiring pigtail for the brake controller comes with the Honda harness, so you won't have the RV dealer using some dodgy splices into your factory wiring.

You'll see a module in the Honda wiring kit - that's a lighting controller.

Here's the installation instructions. The rivnut tool will be the only difficulty.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/09harness.pdf

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
You'll need the Honda wiring harness and a brake controller. The good news is that the wiring pigtail for the brake controller comes with the Honda harness, so you won't have the RV dealer using some dodgy splices into your factory wiring.

You'll see a module in the Honda wiring kit - that's a lighting controller.

Here's the installation instructions. The rivnut tool will be the only difficulty.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/09harness.pdf

Chip H.
From 2009 and on, the RTS/RTL have the factory harness and hitch as standard equipment. The OP has a 2010 RTS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your replies and welcome wishes. It's great to be home. I'm looking forward to becoming acquainted with Ridgeline... and the family!

Since the RL has so much as standard, I was hoping the brake controller would be an inexpensive install. The dealership quoted $200. I have no confidence in my electrical abilities, so I won't risk it. Even if he's ripping me off at $200, I'm glad I can have it done to standard.

I look forward to adding our picture to the "What do you tow" thread. I also look forward to driving my new Ridgeline.

Take care,
Keith

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Some models of the IBC are basically plug and play. Literally, it's about as complicated as plugging a tv into the wall outlet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Welcome to the ROC:act035: Thanks for all you do:act035:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.