Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Banging my head against the wall...

Bought it in February. Less than a month, and I started getting the "Check Fuel Cap" warning.

Took it back to the dealer (This is a HONDA dealership) I bought it from. They replaced the fuel cap. Still had the warning.

Took it back to the dealer. They kept it for 3 days. They "ran every fuel and evap test they could run" and told me the only thing they could do is "start throwing parts at it." They gave me a price quote of $600+...

I've been mostly ignoring the warning for these past couple weeks, and just driving it anyway. The dealer swears that there is no issue with the fuel system but they don't know why it's throwing the warning.

We're getting around 13.5MPG... There has to be something wrong... (Yeah it's city driving... but 13.5?!? really?!?)

Also, the last two tanks of gas. When I go to pop the fuel door, the little lever doesn't work. I have to pull it repeatedly, and rapidly for it to open... : \

·
Registered
302 Posts
I get message real randomly in my 06, I just get out and make sure the cap is on securely and the message seems to go away by the next day. I get pretty decent 19-20MPG mostly highway though. I've not had any major problems come from it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply :D

I've tried clicking it 5 times, I've even tried going to 15 clicks! It's driving me mad...

I did drive it highway for a while, and got 18ish MPG while driving highway. If I was super conservative, I could get 19. Now it's just used to go from home to school with lots of stop go, and sitting in the pick-up line to get my kids.

So far, we haven't had any problems either, it's just really really annoying with it chiming in all the time. Literally every time we drive it.

The fuel door is probably an easy fix, but not sure what to fix...

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I had this problem with the RL I simply had to reseat the cap, but I had the same problem with an Oldsmobile years ago. It was under warranty, but test after test they couldn't find the problem. They finally did figure it out, though. These systems are mandated by the federal government and it's a fume recapture system that involves some sort of vacuum in your fuel tank. If there is even the slightest air leak you'll get the message. Having said that, they need to check your fuel system to make sure there isn't a leak.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I get the check fuel cap warning in the winter time every once in awhile on my 2010. I just take the cap off and put it back on and that solves the problem.
I normally get 18-20mpg and actually got almost 26mpg on my last long highway trip, the best I've ever got on this vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You cant just click the cap and it go away. The system needs to pressurise. It obviously will take longer the less fuel you have in the tank.
All that said, That seems to be a somewhat common problem. I guess they just have a poor quality evap system, or at the very least problematic.

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
All that said, That seems to be a somewhat common problem. I guess they just have a poor quality evap system, or at the very least problematic.
...or the test is too sensitive. I saw this message lots of times over the 4 years I owned my 2010. I saw it on my 2014 within months of purchase. I never saw it on my 2007 or any other vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone! :D

I wish there was a way to just turn off this message... if it isn't causing any problems... its just annoying : \

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! :D

I wish there was a way to just turn off this message... if it isn't causing any problems... its just annoying : \
According to csimo, there is...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1006962&postcount=9

On most vehicles (including the Ridgeline), a "tighten fuel cap" message appears the first time a leak is detected during a test. The message occurs when a "pending" leak trouble code is set. If a leak is detected during subsequent tests, the "pending" code will become a "hard" code and the check engine light will illuminate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2011RT about 4 days after pulling out of the dealership when it was new. I found a thread here telling me to tighten the cap, about 12 clicks after every fill up, and it went away and only came back once, when the cap was loose. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On most vehicles (including the Ridgeline), a "tighten fuel cap" message appears the first time a leak is detected during a test. The message occurs when a "pending" leak trouble code is set. If a leak is detected during subsequent tests, the "pending" code will become a "hard" code and the check engine light will illuminate.
Putting this here for future reference:

On the 2006 model you just have to wait several days for the message to clear. If it's a repeated event you probably have an EVAP system leak.

On the 2007+ models you can clear the message:

1. Tighten the fuel cap until it clicks.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), then turn the ignition switch OFF (don't start the vehicle).
3. Repeat set 2 two more times.
I think I've tried this before, and it just came back again, but I'll try again :D

ff157 - Thanks for that too! I've tried clicking it a ton (like 15 clicks...), and still have the message :(

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I've had the cap warning light come on twice so far. The first time I tried tightening the snot out of the cap, leaving it off overnight and a few other cures I've read on the ROC. Eventually I tried cleaning and lubing the cap and that did the trick. Remove gas cap and clean underside of cap, especially the gasket (I used some Gunk engine cleaner on a paper towel). Do the same with the filler neck, especially where the cap gasket seats.

Dab a little white lithium grease (axle grease or petroleum jelly work as well) on the gasket and spread it around nice and even, replace cap.

About a year later the warning came on and I did a clean and lube and the warning went away.

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
I think I've tried this before, and it just came back again, but I'll try again :D

ff157 - Thanks for that too! I've tried clicking it a ton (like 15 clicks...), and still have the message :(
Those are both pretty good signs that you have a real leak not caused by a loose gas cap. You may have a crack or hole in a hose or pipe, a faulty purge valve, etc. It sounds like your vehicle is a good candidate for a factory diagnosis - possibly using a smoke test.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are both pretty good signs that you have a real leak not caused by a loose gas cap. You may have a crack or hole in a hose or pipe, a faulty purge valve, etc. It sounds like your vehicle is a good candidate for a factory diagnosis - possibly using a smoke test.
See this is my fear... that something serious is wrong... but when the dealer kept it for a couple days, they said they ran every possible test... I might try coolbob recommended, and if that fails, I'm going to go bitch an unholy fit of rage at the dealership... I've had nothing but **** from them : \

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Just another thought, and maybe coolbob tried this, I'd replace the Gas Cap, depending on care, the gasket may be shot. Here in the desert gaskets "dry out" and fail.

As for the Dealer, I'd probably look for another with a second opinion...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the steps the dealer too was to replace the gas cap... so unless they lied, it's less than 6 mos old...

I live on the gulf coast, and it's super humid...

I've kept to that dealer because it's the one I bought it from, so they've done everything so far for free...

If I take it somewhere else, they'll probably charge me to diagnose etc... : \

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
I figured the dealer would have checked or replaced that first, but you'll know if it only looks 6 months old vs 4 years, by how that gasket looks, possibly?

As for taking it to another dealer, I think the Evaporative Emissions Control System, is apart of the overall Emissions System is covered by a longer time/mileage warranty. Being in California I believe it's 7yr/70,000 miles. I'm not finding anything quickly online as to what the federal warranty is for 2011 Honda Ridgeline. If you can check your warranty hand book you may find it quicker.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is 107k on it : \ so if it is 7/70k mine is outside that warranty. I guess I could call the other Honda (30 minutes away) and find out what they'd do...

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
I figured the dealer would have checked or replaced that first, but you'll know if it only looks 6 months old vs 4 years, by how that gasket looks, possibly?

As for taking it to another dealer, I think the Evaporative Emissions Control System, is apart of the overall Emissions System is covered by a longer time/mileage warranty. Being in California I believe it's 7yr/70,000 miles. I'm not finding anything quickly online as to what the federal warranty is for 2011 Honda Ridgeline. If you can check your warranty hand book you may find it quicker.
Federal (43 states) emissions warranty is 3/36.
California and others vary. Some parts are 3/50, 7/70, 8/80.

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/AWL44809.pdf

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/APL35858.pdf

Of special note, the PCM (including the barometric pressure sensor and software updates) and the catalytic converters are always covered for 8/80.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 28 Posts