Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 RL RTL. Love the truck but have an odd issue I was hoping someone could help me out with.

My factory front door speakers were blown when I bought the truck last week, so this weekend I installed new Polk speakers. Everything sounds great when the truck is running.

However, If I kill the engine and just turn on the key, there is severe distortion and general suck.

My initial hunch is that there is a factory amp and somehow is wired not to turn on in the accessory mode on the ignition.

Anyone else see something like this? Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed!

Simple solutions first.....

I noticed that starting the truck was taking a while to crank on occasion. Also, if I left the doors/lights or radio on for even a short time, I could barely get the truck started.

Obviously I replaced the battery and all is well.

My synopsis is that the battery was low, and my amp was cutting off or under powered as it lost juice from the battery.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
WOW Redcorn.... glad you found your problem, but very surprised you never got any replies to your original post. Must have been a day when we were all abducted by aliens for a few hours of tests & probing! :act024:

..... just goes to show.... ALWAYS suspect the battery.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Another strange symptom linked to a weak battery. Good info!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,392 Posts
This is one post I didn't see either, but it goes to show how many problems which a failing or failed battery causes in this vehicle. Obviously modern vehicles have loads of electronics and that is why battery issues show all over the place

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I had a nice gotcha! after replacing the battery. Lo and behold, the stereo went into anti theft mode. A quick look in the owners manual stated that there should be a card in the glove box with the security code to unlock the theft system. No dice....I bought used so no telling what happened to the card.

So, I called the dealer who sold the vehicle just on a long shot that they could help. Turns out, I provided the VIN and they had the code on hand. Disaster averted. I recorded the code in my manual for future use.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,877 Posts
john, if you register over at owners.honda.com, you can retrieve your security code there as well too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts