Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a pre owned 2012 RTL back in February of this year and I really like this truck. Had a Tacoma a few years ago and did not think I would ever get back into this class of truck after that experience but liked the trunk and the folding back seats for my dogs (they especially like this feature!) as well as the two way tailgate. Only downside I have found is the obvious issue with the gas mileage (18/21) and the turning radius.
Why is the turning radius on the Ridgeline so much wider than the Pilot? Is this being addressed in the new generation?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,591 Posts
Moved to Misc/General RL discussions.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes the RL turns like a bus.
If you are going to use your back seat in the raised position you might want to pickup some upgraded Metal pulley p/n is 82139-SJC-A02.http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~guide~cable~rr~cush~82139-SJC-A02.html

Steps to Fix: Rear Seat Support http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38695
The official TSB for this problem was issued in October 2010. I'd be surprised if Honda was still using the defective old parts for their 2012 model Ridgelines after they issued the TSB about it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The official TSB for this problem was issued in October 2010. I'd be surprised if Honda was still using the defective old parts for their 2012 model Ridgelines after they issued the TSB about it.
Thanks for bring this 06 TSB to my attention.I must of missed it some how.It applies to 06-11.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Bought a pre owned 2012 RTL back in February of this year and I really like this truck. Had a Tacoma a few years ago and did not think I would ever get back into this class of truck after that experience but liked the trunk and the folding back seats for my dogs (they especially like this feature!) as well as the two way tailgate. Only downside I have found is the obvious issue with the gas mileage (18/21) and the turning radius.
Why is the turning radius on the Ridgeline so much wider than the Pilot? Is this being addressed in the new generation?
As I understand it, the issue lies with the short length of the CV shafts and the overall cramped nature of the engine bay due to the transversely-mounted engine. Also, the FWD-based location of the transmission makes things in the engine bay even more cramped. The wheels themselves cannot turn side to side as much due to the short shafts and the proximity to the wheel well liners. Therefore, the turning radius is equivalent to a cargo ship. Tacomas and other RWD-based trucks don't have this issue because the engine and transmission are longitudinally-mounted creating more space for the wheels to turn. As was said, this issue was being addressed in the 2nd gen RL.

·
Registered
726 Posts
As I understand it, the issue lies with the short length of the CV shafts and the overall cramped nature of the engine bay due to the transversely-mounted engine. Also, the FWD-based location of the transmission makes things in the engine bay even more cramped. The wheels themselves cannot turn side to side as much due to the short shafts and the proximity to the wheel well liners. Therefore, the turning radius is equivalent to a cargo ship. Tacomas and other RWD-based trucks don't have this issue because the engine and transmission are longitudinally-mounted creating more space for the wheels to turn. As was said, this issue was being addressed in the 2nd gen RL.
Looks like the Ridgeline was middle of the pack for turning radius. Looks like my image is hard to see.
Turning circle, as tested by Consumer Reports:

Ridgeline 45 ft
Tacoma 43 ft
Frontier 46 ft
Colorado 48 ft
Tundra 49 ft

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Compared to my current crew cab/ long bed F250 my prior Ridge turns on a dime. It's all relative.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Honda in general doesn't have a great turning radius even my 99 Accord was lousy. It could also be related to the double wishbone suspension too.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Compared to my current crew cab/ long bed F250 my prior Ridge turns on a dime. It's all relative.
Honda in general doesn't have a great turning radius even my 99 Accord was lousy. It could also be related to the double wishbone suspension too.
The RL is the largest vehicle I've ever owned other than the 93 Chevy K1500 beater that I had for a few years. Even that vehicle turned tighter than the RL. I've just learned to deal with it over the years and anticipate the challenges of tighter turns. In contrast, my wife's 2005 Accord has a very tight turning radius. Maybe it's just because I'm used to my truck, but yes, it's all relative.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Didn't Honda used to make a vehicle with four wheel steering? I seem to recall they marketed it on the Civic (?) and it was supposed to greatly improve turning radius. I never did drive a car with the system but always thought it sounded cool.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Haha, so true. I've been used to driving my Ridgeline and the wife's Audi Q5 which are both relatively large compared to most cars. I need to start cutting the steering wheel before I'm out of my garage to make a turn-around on my driveway (I drive out of my driveway straight forward). The first time I backed my Z4 out of the garage I did the same thing - I started cutting the wheel and then I heard a CRSSSHH. I scraped the fender on my garage door rail because I didn't anticipate such a tight turning radius :(

·
Registered
726 Posts
Didn't Honda used to make a vehicle with four wheel steering? I seem to recall they marketed it on the Civic (?) and it was supposed to greatly improve turning radius. I never did drive a car with the system but always thought it sounded cool.
The old Honda Preludes had 4-wheel steering, as does the new Acura RLX.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
The old Honda Preludes had 4-wheel steering, as does the new Acura RLX.
Correct. The Acura system is called PAWS - Precision All Wheel Steering. The rear wheels turn to aid in tight cornering. I think it's only used on the FWD versions, though.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Correct. The Acura system is called PAWS - Precision All Wheel Steering. The rear wheels turn to aid in tight cornering. I think it's only used on the FWD versions, though.
This was typical example of Honda-simple solutions IMO. Everyone else was toying / struggling with how to control engagement of rear wheel steering by applying algorithms based on rate of travel (speed). You don't want too much steering when you're going at higher rates of speed (could be dangerous).

Honda looked at the problem & said, "why not tie this to rate of turn instead?".... and of course, why not! You won't be turning the wheel very far unless you're going pretty slow, will you? So while "slow" is the only time you really want to have it, "full turns" is the only time you really NEED it. Complex made simple.

I had to appreciate that bit of simple problem solving. (I hope I got that right.... it's all from memory, which isn't as reliable as it used to be!) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts