Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX (V6), 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2012 Honda Ridgeline RTL (sold)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned my 2012 Ridgeline since 2012 when I bought it brand new. By far the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. One CE light with a trans sensor and of course the airbag recall. Other than that, general maintenance, gas and go!
Here is what I loved about it;

Power delivery from the engine and trans combo was fantastic, powerful and predictable. I always knew i could count on it doing what I asked when I asked for it. Loved that sound the engine made at WOT!

Ride was comfortable, truck like in some ways but smooth like a car in many ways. Having independent rear suspension cars for many years this truck felt natural to me. Actually the truck handled well for its size.

Looks….well ugly but that just my opinion. You always knew a Ridgeline when you saw one that is for sure! Interior was dated when when it was new but I got to be honest….I liked it.

Fuel economy for me was 15.5 mostly city.
So I traded in my ‘12 RTL for a ‘21 RTL-E
Wow am I disappointed to say the least.

The engine sounds like my wife’s Acura TLX. The 9 speed auto is confused and power delivery feels like a CVT not a geared transmission.
The most disappointing aspect has to be when I come to a stop now, the truck undulates for a few seconds like it’s a boat that just came to a stop on the water.

How did we get here? How did the Honda engineers have the previous generation dialed in nicely and now they can’t seem to get it right?

Anybody else experience this?

rant over

PS Thank goodness they put the idle stop overide switch or this things has got to go back!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you do not like the 2021 Ridgeline then why on earth did you buy it, didn't you do a test drive first? I really do not understand those that purchase a new vehicle and then immediately jump on to an Internet forum and start complaining about it? :unsure:

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
It's just like a home. You don't really notice all of the inadequacies or quirks until you live in it for awhile. I see nothing wrong with the OP mentioning a few things he is dissatisfied with. He won't find much sympathy here though. The undulation when stopping has been well documented on this forum, but most owners have accepted it and that discussion has cooled off. I also think the 9-speed takes a bit of getting used to.

Reactions: Older

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
567 Posts
The RL employs amplitude reactive dampers. As opposed to active suspension systems which actively change damping rates, the ARDs have a mechanical, dual damping characteristic based on compression stroke distance (not sure may also be dependent stroke rate). Damping is reduced for smaller movements and increased for larger movements. This allows the engineers to tune for a smooth ride while limiting body roll during cornering. I haven’t noticed fore-aft movement when stopping but I have noticed quite a bit of left-right movement while sitting in a turn lane when traffic passes by. It’s possible you have a defective damper but not likely. Kind of hard to do right now with the shortage of trucks but I would ask to get a test ride in another unit to compare. Trim doesn’t matter, all trims have identical drive trains and suspensions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My experience has been exactly opposite of the OP.

I have driven an G1 Ridgeline and it was a big reason why I even considered the Ridgeline. I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the styling of the G1 more. It is unique and doesn't look like every other pickup on the road. The 2021 styling is just "me too". It's not that it's bad, it's just...normal. I am not a fan of normal. I like to stand out.

I bought a 2019 because I was afraid of the 9-speed. But after trade values skyrocketed and the feedback on the 9 speed on this site and in reviews were good...I jumped on a 2021. My experience with it has been excellent. I hardly even feel it shift. It's very smooth and seems to always be in the right gear. Nothing like similar 9 speeds I've experienced in Jeep products that banged off shift after shift looking for the right gear.

And I haven't experienced any undulation when I stop. In fact, I'm quite amazed at the handling of the truck. I've hustled it down some twisty roads and the AWD system, even in the dry, is really nice.

The engine sounds fine to me. Most of the time I don't even hear it unless I'm merging on the interstate...then I love to hear that VTEC kick in. For a V6 it sounds great.

The only thing we agree on is the stop/start crap. The most assassin piece of technology ever put on a car. I installed the Idlestopper and now I never have to worry about that stupid feature.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
237 Posts
9-speed takes a bit of getting used to.
I think this is especially true if you're coming from a vastly different transmission. I went from a 1999 Mazda B3000 to a 2012 Fusion...big difference. I put 270,000 miles on the Fusion so I knew transmission very well and liked it a lot. Going from the Fusion to a 2020 RL seemed like the "next step" in tranny technology. I find it to be completely intuitive and easy to manipulate. At least for my style of driving.

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX (V6), 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2012 Honda Ridgeline RTL (sold)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do not like the 2021 Ridgeline then why on earth did you buy it, didn't you do a test drive first? I really do not understand those that purchase a new vehicle and then immediately jump on to an Internet forum and start complaining about it? :unsure:

Bill
Hey Bill I did test drive a 2021 and I decided that I would have to get used to the 9-speed and power delivery. However what I test drove was a sport not an RTL-E and it did not undulate when I came to a stop. Or at least I didn’t notice it.

My 2021 RTL-E was purchased at the beginning of April and delivered to the dealer on 7/17. It had to be manufactured.

I apologize for irritating you but I wanted to get some feedback from owners and members to see if what I was experiencing was “normal” or just “accepted”.

This is why I stopped posting here in 2012.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is especially true if you're coming from a vastly different transmission. I went from a 1999 Mazda B3000 to a 2012 Fusion...big difference. I put 270,000 miles on the Fusion so I knew transmission very well and liked it a lot. Going from the Fusion to a 2020 RL seemed like the "next step" in tranny technology. I find it to be completely intuitive and easy to manipulate. At least for my style of driving.
Yes we have a 2016 TLX and it acts the same way. I’ll use the paddle shifters! That will make it happen. Thanks for your input.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
23 Posts
I have a 2021 RTL-E. No undulations and smooth 9 speeds. I just wish the brakes didn't feel like someone forgot to bleed them.

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
978 Posts
I have a 2021 RTL-E. No undulations and smooth 9 speeds. I just wish the brakes didn't feel like someone forgot to bleed them.
Run up on a vehicle in front of you, let the automatic braking kick in, then hit the brake pedal. Then come back and tell us how "soft" the braking system is.

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
978 Posts
The only thing we agree on is the stop/start crap. The most assassin piece of technology ever put on a car. I installed the Idlestopper and now I never have to worry about that stupid feature.
What makes you say this? My 2017 doesn't have it obviously, but when I have driven vehicles with it, I don't mind it at all. Saves gas. Why do you hate it? (Asking because it is not a daily feature for me yet).

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
23 Posts
Run up on a vehicle in front of you, let the automatic braking kick in, then hit the brake pedal. Then come back and tell us how "soft" the braking system is.
Yeah, or if I pump the pedal the feel improves, too. Many complaints about brake pedal feel. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What makes you say this? My 2017 doesn't have it obviously, but when I have driven vehicles with it, I don't mind it at all. Saves gas. Why do you hate it? (Asking because it is not a daily feature for me yet).
Oh...let me count the ways:

1) Power steering goes dead when engine cuts off.
2) AC blows noticeably warmer when the engine is off
3) In traffic, it drives me batty having the engine start, to move 2 feet forward, then cut off again.
4) Drive thrus suck. Stop. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Start....Ahhhh!

I always ended up just disabling the auto start stop as I don't normally drive in heavy traffic as I work from home, so it's not really saving me much fuel. If I ever did get caught in traffic and it was cooler weather, I'd enable it and enjoy sitting in silence without burning fuel...but then again, I've always been able to do this...I just turned off the key.

I gave it an honest try, but just hated it. I've hated it in every vehicle I've ever driven that has it. I'm just not a fan of a vehicle doing anything I don't tell it to. I even prefer manual transmissions.

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
978 Posts
Oh...let me count the ways:

1) Power steering goes dead when engine cuts off.
2) AC blows noticeably warmer when the engine is off
3) In traffic, it drives me batty having the engine start, to move 2 feet forward, then cut off again.
4) Drive thrus suck. Stop. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Start....Ahhhh!

I always ended up just disabling the auto start stop as I don't normally drive in heavy traffic as I work from home, so it's not really saving me much fuel. If I ever did get caught in traffic and it was cooler weather, I'd enable it and enjoy sitting in silence without burning fuel...but then again, I've always been able to do this...I just turned off the key.

I gave it an honest try, but just hated it. I've hated it in every vehicle I've ever driven that has it. I'm just not a fan of a vehicle doing anything I don't tell it to. I even prefer manual transmissions.
Thanks for the input. As I said, I am not a regular user of it, so don't really have any perspective. My neighbor's Pilot has it, and at a stop, the engine dies, then he releases the brake for a second to restart, then holds the brake again, and it stays running. Not sure if this feature is on the Gen 2?

I guess I'll learn to love it or hate it soon enough.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks for the input. As I said, I am not a regular user of it, so don't really have any perspective. My neighbor's Pilot has it, and at a stop, the engine dies, then he releases the brake for a second to restart, then holds the brake again, and it stays running. Not sure if this feature is on the Gen 2?

I guess I'll learn to love it or hate it soon enough.
That's how it works. You can release the brake. You can crank hard on the steering wheel. You can also apply VERY slight brake pressure to not activate it. I found myself "creeping" instead of stopping to keep from shutting off.

I'm sure for people who spend loads of time stopped while driving (sort of an oxymoron), it might save them a big of fuel. But stopping the engine for 5 seconds then restarting it over and over again just isn't going to save me enough to have to deal with it. I much prefer the way I have it set up now....off unless I choose to activate it. The way it should be. The way it should work is it should remember your last choice. Turn it off, it stays off and vice versa. Let the owner decide. Stop forcing crap on the people who pay good money for your products.

·
Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
978 Posts
That's how it works. You can release the brake. You can crank hard on the steering wheel. You can also apply VERY slight brake pressure to not activate it. I found myself "creeping" instead of stopping to keep from shutting off.

I'm sure for people who spend loads of time stopped while driving (sort of an oxymoron), it might save them a big of fuel. But stopping the engine for 5 seconds then restarting it over and over again just isn't going to save me enough to have to deal with it. I much prefer the way I have it set up now....off unless I choose to activate it. The way it should be. The way it should work is it should remember your last choice. Turn it off, it stays off and vice versa. Let the owner decide. Stop forcing crap on the people who pay good money for your products.
Completely agree with you. And where I drive there are some longish red lights, so not having A/C would suck.

When. will Honda make a Gen3 hybrid, I wonder?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Completely agree with you. And where I drive there are some longish red lights, so not having A/C would suck.

When. will Honda make a Gen3 hybrid, I wonder?
Supposedly the auto stop won't work if the cabin is too warm or cold. But I'm an air condition addict. Even in Eco mode the AC is too "warm". I like cold air blowing on me that feels like exposing your bare face to a swift Arctic wind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so it’s been a few weeks since I bought the truck and my opinion has changed on it. The ECU must have learned as the power delivery is much much better now with 500 miles on the odometer.

Undulation is still an issue and it’s annoying. The pros are starting to outweigh the cons.

Fuel economy is starting to get up to 17 mpg without the eco and start stop.

I’ll give another update in a month or so.

Atrains

·
Registered
Obsidian Blue Pearl 2021 RTL-E
51 Posts
I dislike the auto stop/start as well, but my experience has been that as soon as the engine shuts off, the HVAC fan slows to a low speed, to try to prolong how long it blows cool, I presume. Then, after a minute or so (depending on how hot it is), the engine restarts and the fan resumes blowing normally. This is all with the HVAC on auto; not sure how it works in manual mode.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 70 Posts