Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are the MPG ratings the same for Ridgelines with start stop vs the ones without? If so what was the point?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
Are the MPG ratings the same for Ridgelines with start stop vs the ones without? If so what was the point?
It's difficult to tell, since other significant changes were made at the same time, most importantly going from the 6-speed to the 9-speed trans. Some sources indicate the primary reason for Start|Stop is reduction in emissions rather than increase in MPG. Moreover, it could increase MPG without showing up in EPA figures, due to rounding errors in calculations.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
290 Posts
Looks….well ugly but that just my opinion. You always knew a Ridgeline when you saw one that is for sure! Interior was dated when when it was new but I got to be honest….I liked it.
Agreed. Like the love-child spawn of an Element and an Avalanche.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
290 Posts
The 9 speed auto is confused and power delivery feels like a CVT not a geared transmission.

PS Thank goodness they put the idle stop overide switch or this things has got to go back!
I held out for the 9-speed despite a good deal on 2019. Glad I did. For me and many others, the 9-speed is a hoot, and flappy paddles make it hootier. I am a manual shifter (lots of track time under my belt) and love the engagement of using the paddles and having full control over 9 speeds up and down. Estimate 99.5% of my motoring is in Sequential mode (I live in a mountainous area). Great for towing, smooth, and so far dependable. If you try S mode it be forewarned that tranny is programmed to rev-match engine to road speed when manually downshifting from some gears at speed most notably 5>4. This creates a very short cruising-neutral-like hesitation that surprises some people including me the first day.

Oh and tip: Drive in S mode, that shuts off Auto Stop/Start.

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX (V6), 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2012 Honda Ridgeline RTL (sold)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Anybody else’s 2021 sit like mine does? It has a raked look to me. Less clearance in the front between the wheel and wheel well and more clearance in the back wheels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Anybody else’s 2021 sit like mine does? It has a raked look to me. Less clearance in the front between the wheel and wheel well and more clearance in the back wheels.

View attachment 416433
I believe they are all like that. I could be wrong, but I think they do this in anticipation of significant weight in the bed or on the hitch. This way, it will appear to squat less than if it had started off "level."

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
430 Posts

View attachment 416433
Now for the Cliff Claven response: The reason they made the back end higher than the front, is so when your going down the road, you would actually be going down hill. We all know that a vehicle going down hill gets better gas mileage. 🤔
Now, the real reason is they all have that rake from the back towards the front. You can eliminate it with a leveling kit or leave it like it is. If you haul anything of significant weight, it will basically level out or lower the back end. HTH

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve owned my 2012 Ridgeline since 2012 when I bought it brand new. By far the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. One CE light with a trans sensor and of course the airbag recall. Other than that, general maintenance, gas and go!
Here is what I loved about it;

Power delivery from the engine and trans combo was fantastic, powerful and predictable. I always knew i could count on it doing what I asked when I asked for it. Loved that sound the engine made at WOT!

Ride was comfortable, truck like in some ways but smooth like a car in many ways. Having independent rear suspension cars for many years this truck felt natural to me. Actually the truck handled well for its size.

Looks….well ugly but that just my opinion. You always knew a Ridgeline when you saw one that is for sure! Interior was dated when when it was new but I got to be honest….I liked it.

Fuel economy for me was 15.5 mostly city.
So I traded in my ‘12 RTL for a ‘21 RTL-E
Wow am I disappointed to say the least.

The engine sounds like my wife’s Acura TLX. The 9 speed auto is confused and power delivery feels like a CVT not a geared transmission.
The most disappointing aspect has to be when I come to a stop now, the truck undulates for a few seconds like it’s a boat that just came to a stop on the water.

How did we get here? How did the Honda engineers have the previous generation dialed in nicely and now they can’t seem to get it right?

Anybody else experience this?

rant over

PS Thank goodness they put the idle stop overide switch or this things has got to go back!
It's that stupid Start/Stop feature when at a stop light or whatever ................somebody needs to outline a method to forever disable that feature!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh...let me count the ways:

1) Power steering goes dead when engine cuts off.
2) AC blows noticeably warmer when the engine is off
3) In traffic, it drives me batty having the engine start, to move 2 feet forward, then cut off again.
4) Drive thrus suck. Stop. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Start....Ahhhh!

I always ended up just disabling the auto start stop as I don't normally drive in heavy traffic as I work from home, so it's not really saving me much fuel. If I ever did get caught in traffic and it was cooler weather, I'd enable it and enjoy sitting in silence without burning fuel...but then again, I've always been able to do this...I just turned off the key.

I gave it an honest try, but just hated it. I've hated it in every vehicle I've ever driven that has it. I'm just not a fan of a vehicle doing anything I don't tell it to. I even prefer manual transmissions.
There has to be a way of completely disableing this stupid Start / Stop feature....how about it , you Einsteins out there ?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Only had ours a week. I was totally unaware of it the first few days. It hasn’t bothered me yet. We’ll see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve owned my 2012 Ridgeline since 2012 when I bought it brand new. By far the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. One CE light with a trans sensor and of course the airbag recall. Other than that, general maintenance, gas and go!
Here is what I loved about it;

Power delivery from the engine and trans combo was fantastic, powerful and predictable. I always knew i could count on it doing what I asked when I asked for it. Loved that sound the engine made at WOT!

Ride was comfortable, truck like in some ways but smooth like a car in many ways. Having independent rear suspension cars for many years this truck felt natural to me. Actually the truck handled well for its size.

Fuel economy for me was 15.5 mostly city.
So I traded in my ‘12 RTL for a ‘21 RTL-E
Wow am I disappointed to say the least.

The engine sounds like my wife’s Acura TLX. The 9 speed auto is confused and power delivery feels like a CVT not a geared transmission.
The most disappointing aspect has to be when I come to a stop now, the truck undulates for a few seconds like it’s a boat that just came to a stop on the water.

How did we get here? How did the Honda engineers have the previous generation dialed in nicely and now they can’t seem to get it right?

Anybody else experience this?

rant over

I have a 19 RTL-E and have not had a single issue with it. I've driven the 21 with the 9 speed and actually prefer the 6-speed in my 19, just seems smoother a less shifting action going on. Towing (4K is probably the max I've had) has easy and no issues. Thank heavens I don't have the stop/start to deal with. My wife has it on her Acura and it's become part of the starting routine to hit the button off. I think $100 for rebuilding the transmission and getting a few more years is a no brainer - wait and see what the next gen is like.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
237 Posts
There has to be a way of completely disableing this stupid Start / Stop feature....how about it , you Einsteins out there ?
Search the forum...
There is a solution to your "problem".

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
23 Posts
I've only had my 2021 RTLE for 2 weeks now. I've put 750 miles on it and I love it! I look forward to driving it every day. My last vehicle was a 2003 Tundra which lacked so many of the features available today in my RL. As far as the auto stop start, I overall really like it. Never had it before, but when I stop at a light for more than 20 seconds or so I can really appreciate it. My biggest annoyance with it is when I pull into my garage and come to a stop. The motor shuts off, I put the transmission into park, then the engine starts again for a second before I turn the truck off. It's dumb. I've learned to simply just shut the truck off once I come to a stop instead of first hitting the "P" button. Shutting the truck off while still in drive automatically puts the truck in park. Problem solved. I am embarrassed to admit but I had no idea what undulates meant so I looked it up. Nope, I don't have that issue. I love this Truck! It's quiet, smooth, fast, roomy, fuel efficient, love the features, love the audio/navigation, the trunk, the in bed audio, the Honda Sensing, the list goes on. I know its only been two weeks and my feelings may change, but if this RL stays reliable I will look forward to owning this thing hopefully as long as I owned my 2003 Tundra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only had my 2021 RTLE for 2 weeks now. I've put 750 miles on it and I love it! I look forward to driving it every day. My last vehicle was a 2003 Tundra which lacked so many of the features available today in my RL. As far as the auto stop start, I overall really like it. Never had it before, but when I stop at a light for more than 20 seconds or so I can really appreciate it. My biggest annoyance with it is when I pull into my garage and come to a stop. The motor shuts off, I put the transmission into park, then the engine starts again for a second before I turn the truck off. It's dumb. I've learned to simply just shut the truck off once I come to a stop instead of first hitting the "P" button. Shutting the truck off while still in drive automatically puts the truck in park. Problem solved. I am embarrassed to admit but I had no idea what undulates meant so I looked it up. Nope, I don't have that issue. I love this Truck! It's quiet, smooth, fast, roomy, fuel efficient, love the features, love the audio/navigation, the trunk, the in bed audio, the Honda Sensing, the list goes on. I know its only been two weeks and my feelings may change, but if this RL stays reliable I will look forward to owning this thing hopefully as long as I owned my 2003 Tundra.
If you do not like the 2021 Ridgeline then why on earth did you buy it, didn't you do a test drive first? I really do not understand those that purchase a new vehicle and then immediately jump on to an Internet forum and start complaining about it? :unsure:

Bill
Waited 6 mos . for my '21 RTL_E with HPD package, roof rails/bars and love it ......except for that dadgum auto/stop feature.........lookig for a smart mechanic that can disable that cotton picking feature for good !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Completely agree with you. And where I drive there are some longish red lights, so not having A/C would suck.

When. will Honda make a Gen3 hybrid, I wonder?
Isn't there someone out there that knows how to disable this stop/start feature permantly ???

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is good to hear positive feedback for a change. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Waited 6 mos . for my '21 RTL_E with HPD package, roof rails/bars and love it ......except for that dadgum auto/stop feature.........lookig for a smart mechanic that can disable that cotton picking feature for good !
I just don't understand all this hatred for the start stop. I really like it and it does save fuel and you barely notice it. The Ridgeline starter is designed to handle it as ZRoger73 has explained more then a few times. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just don't understand all this hatred for the start stop. I really like it and it does save fuel and you barely notice it. The Ridgeline starter is designed to handle it as ZRoger73 has explained more then a few times. :)
I want to start/stop engine when I want to......do not need some computer to think for me........the fuel you save is a joke....ask some engineer that really knows ICE ! It was installed to asist mfg's in meeting the stringent CAFE standards the auto industry has inherited in recent years..........more big government intervention in private enterprise..............AND batteries , Bendix engagement units and starter motors will be hot at parts dealers in a couple years !! (AMEN)

21 - 40 of 70 Posts