Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
I want to start/stop engine when I want to......do not need some computer to think for me........the fuel you save is a joke....ask some engineer that really knows ICE ! It was installed to asist mfg's in meeting the stringent CAFE standards the auto industry has inherited in recent years..........more big government intervention in private enterprise..............AND batteries , Bendix engagement units and starter motors will be hot at parts dealers in a couple years !! (AMEN)
I disagree with you on the fuel savings. If you idle for 7 seconds or more there is a 4% savings in gas. As for wearing out parts look a ZRogers73 post on the starting system design. Maybe you will change your mind but I doubt it. ;)
To each his own. Just push the button one time when you start the truck and it is disabled as I am sure you know. Its not like you have to get out of the truck and open the hood to do it.馃槀

Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
Isn't there someone out there that knows how to disable this stop/start feature permantly ???
Have at my man...

Registered
2014 Sport
I want to start/stop engine when I want to......do not need some computer to think for me........the fuel you save is a joke....ask some engineer that really knows ICE ! It was installed to asist mfg's in meeting the stringent CAFE standards the auto industry has inherited in recent years..........more big government intervention in private enterprise..............AND batteries , Bendix engagement units and starter motors will be hot at parts dealers in a couple years !! (AMEN)
Stop start has been around for a long time now and starters / batteries can most certainly be well engineered to hold up to the task. . .If you sit in city traffic frequently, you will most certainly save fuel with stop / start tech.. . .The computers on your truck think for you all the time in a gazillion countless ways. . .Is it really so hard to push the button to disable the Start Stop each time you turn on the vehicle?

Registered
Stop start has been around for a long time now and starters / batteries can most certainly be well engineered to hold up to the task. . .If you sit in city traffic frequently, you will most certainly save fuel with stop / start tech.. . .The computers on your truck think for you all the time in a gazillion countless ways. . .Is it really so hard to push the button to disable the Start Stop each time you turn on the vehicle?
My thoughts exactly!

Registered
I disagree with you on the fuel savings. If you idle for 7 seconds or more there is a 4% savings in gas. As for wearing out parts look a ZRogers73 post on the starting system design. Maybe you will change your mind but I doubt it. ;)
To each his own. Just push the button one time when you start the truck and it is disabled as I am sure you know. Its not like you have to get out of the truck and open the hood to do it.馃槀
Any "improvement "that is as irritating as the stop/start feature comes under the heading "..if it ain't broke, don't fix it".........you say 4% fuel saving.......that translates as follows: 4% of a 20 gallon tank of fuel is .80 % of one gallon which @ $3.00 per gallon =$2.40 over some 400 miles of driving to have to put up with this stop/start feature .........not worth it to ME....AND I question the source of said "4%"..................under what conditions(driving, weather, temperature , state of engine tune, big city, small town, ratio of start /stops per mile driven, etc, etc,).......one does not simply accept a statement because it appears in print (even politics use that medium to spread lies), so I think we are back to square one.......it is a personal preference matter with no real grounding in the scientific world..just another millennial generated "if we think it, it's good for everybody" AND the government CAFE standards folks bought it !.....an ME Georgia Tech..'48...........

Registered
Any "improvement "that is as irritating as the stop/start feature comes under the heading ".. if it ain't broke, don't fix it"......... you say 4% fuel saving....... that translates as follows: 4% of a 20 gallon tank of fuel is .80 % of one gallon which @ $3.00 per gallon =$2.40 over some 400 miles of driving to have to put up with this stop/start feature ......... not worth it to ME.... AND I question the source of said "4%".................. under what conditions(driving, weather, temperature , state of engine tune, big city, small town, ratio of start /stops per mile driven, etc, etc,)....... one does not simply accept a statement because it appears in print (even politics use that medium to spread lies), so I think we are back to square one....... it is a personal preference matter with no real grounding in the scientific world.. just another millennial generated "if we think it, it's good for everybody" AND the government CAFE standards folks bought it !..... an ME Georgia Tech..' 48...........
Ok Hanz, I guess it is easier to get irritated as we grow older. ;)
As for me I will just press the stop/start button when I don't think it is needed. It's pretty easy to do. I wish you a blessed day.:)

Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
By the way @Hanz, in the amount of time you've spent complaining about it you could have done a search on this forum for a link that I already posted in response and be on your way to idle stop Bliss! Have a good one!

Registered
A while back, someone, I think zroger73, posted some docs on the auto-stop system. In one doc, titled "Auto Idle Stop System Description", I came across the following:

Number of Starter Operations

PCM counts the number of starter operations. If the number of starter motor operations exceeds the setting limit, the auto idle stop is disabled, and the auto idle stop indicator (amber) blinks*. In this case, both starter motor and starter cut relays need to be replaced. When replacing the starter motor and the starter cut relays, it is need to clear the counter of "STARTER and STARTER CUT RELAY" with the HDS. When replacing the PCM, the number of starter motor and starter relays operations, those are stored in previous PCM, need to be transferred to the new PCM.

Apparently this is how Honda is dealing with the increased starter wear issue. Does anybody know what that limit number is? I presume it is readable with the HDS if it must be transferred to a new ECU, If the number is like 200,000 then it probably won't be an issue. If it is more like 1000, then that would be a big issue for some of us.

Registered
Ok Hanz, I guess it is easier to get irritated as we grow older. ;)
As for me I will just press the stop/start button when I don't think it is needed. It's pretty easy to do. I wish you a blessed day.:)
You are correct , dannydee, growing old is not for everybody.....at 91 things look different than at 21 , but then what the heck, have a cold one, RELAX, AND WONDER WHAT THE PEASENTS ARE UP TOo.........enjoy your Ridgeline and each and every day you own it !! Hanz.............

Registered
You are correct , dannydee, growing old is not for everybody.....at 91 things look different than at 21 , but then what the heck, have a cold one, RELAX, AND WONDER WHAT THE PEASENTS ARE UP TOo.........enjoy your Ridgeline and each and every day you own it !! Hanz.............
Congratulations Hanz, You have made it far more then most. I am 69 so you must look at me as a youngster.
Wishing you many more years of health and peace. God has blessed you Sir!
Sincerely,
Dan

Registered
Run up on a vehicle in front of you, let the automatic braking kick in, then hit the brake pedal. Then come back and tell us how "soft" the braking system is.
I slammed the brakes on my 2019 RTL-E a few weeks ago while going around a deadly rotary in Massachusetts to avoid a guaranteed collision. Stopped on a dime and didn't lock up. I'll take them!

Registered
Congratulations Hanz, You have made it far more then most. I am 69 so you must look at me as a youngster.
Sincerely,
Dan
Sincerely,
Dan
Thank you , sir!

Premium Member
Red 2017 RTL-E
I just don't understand all this hatred for the start stop. I really like it and it does save fuel and you barely notice it. The Ridgeline starter is designed to handle it as ZRoger73 has explained more then a few times. :)
I'm with you. Drove a Pilot today with the 9-speed tranny and auto-stop. I did not find it troubling at all. If sitting at a light for very long, and the A/C needs to run, it simply re-starts and keeps the cabin cool. I doubt I would disable mine if I had it.

Registered
For every gadget they come up with, there is a price to pay. As a kid in college in Miami Florida, I worked in a service station at US #1 and LeJune road. I learned to do brake jobs and relatively simple things such as starter/generator rebuilds/replacements (in those days1950's you fixed things rather than simply replace them , if possible.)...........Things may have changed a lot since then but wear factor is the same................the Bendix unit (spring and flywheel engagement ring gear are essentially the same) AND YES they wear down, break, engagement teeth break off, etc, etc.............and this constant start up requirement will shorten said life....and you CAN take that to the bank ! This "do gooder stuff" is just that ........plus the increase in maintainence cost, the constant annoyance factor( the start/stop DOES annoy most normal folks), etc., etc., simply is not worth it ( plus this is the kind of gadget that helps the truck price esculate to unheard of levels .)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts