Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my question that has probably been asked before; I'm a newbie, really love my 2012 Ridgeline. It's a bare-bones model, i think an RT (can't find the model designation anywhere). I need to tow a 6x12 trailer one-way to move my Navy son and wife to base in a couple of days. We discovered I don't have the mounted plug for the wiring on the bumper - instead, there's a connector hanging underneath from one of the tail lights. I cannot figure out what I need for a wiring package to hook up a U-haul. It being after Christmas, I can't afford $200 for a part I'm using once. Can anyone dumb this down for me?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So you have a hitch, but no trailer wiring?

Uhaul may have a temp solution for you as they do this kind of stuff all day long for "one time" users. The other option is to bite the bullet and install the factory wiring harness and be done with it...and then you will be prepared for next time. I realize you are thinking that pulling this trailer is a one time shot, but I have a suspicion that you will find many other uses for trailers in the future. That's my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply. Here's what I ended up doing: I bought the T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector online and had it rushed in overnight, total was under a hundred dollars. It took about a half-hour to install - very easy, the hardest part was securing the wiring to the bumper and making sure the exhaust didn't melt it. It worked great. I save $100 and a 50 mile trip to the nearest dealer that had the model specific harness in stock. http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2012_Honda_Ridgeline.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I had this same issue. Hitch is standard on all models but the Sport and I believe the RT in 2012 were WIRED for the trailer harness BUT the trailer harness itself wasn't included. Had one installed at the dealership and wasn't cheap. Cost about $400 total with labor but that included the Honda "Trailer Hitch Towing Kit", the Trailer Harness, and the Trailer Hitch Locking Pin. Probably could have saved money buying aftermarket, but wanted everything to be official as I do tow a lot in the summer. Only thing I didn't buy from Honda was the 2" Trailer Hitch Ball.

http://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/accessory-detail.aspx?Accessory=RIDGE14021
http://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/accessory-detail.aspx?Accessory=RIDGE14020

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seems that It is a good alternative, I might install a hitch and this e-trailer wiring since all I might need is a four pin, and dont need all the hassle of going under the dash.

Let me know if there are any problems at all so I can avoid that route, hope not.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,672 Posts
Folks, this issue has been hashed out over and over. Those 3rd party wiring harness seem to end up biting the owner in the butt at some point.

Note this sample thread about the issue:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82201

You should be able to pick up the OEM harness for ~$150 and can self install in an hour or so. The OEM harness isolates the truck electrics from the trailer electrics and prevents a failure in one affecting the other.

This is one of those areas where it's easy to be penny wise and pound foolish. Honda could (and should, imo) circumvent the issue by including the full towing package for all trim lines. Honda, if you're going to put a hitch on the truck, complete the job with a factory wiring harness!

Maybe the gen2 RL will correct this issue by including the full tow package from the factory.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Follow the words of Paul McCartney and "Listen to what the Man says". You won't be sorry with the OEM harness, but could very likely be very sorry with aftermarket. Many examples if you chose to search here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Honda could (and should, imo) circumvent the issue by including the full towing package for all trim lines. Honda, if you're going to put a hitch on the truck, complete the job with a factory wiring harness!

Maybe the gen2 RL will correct this issue by including the full tow package from the factory.
You're thinking logically, Speedlever haha. I agree. The towing package should be included with a trailer wiring harness OR at the very least be an "upgrade" that you can negotiate the price for at the dealership before you buy. All in all, the Honda techs did a great job installing and no complaints there, but it was kind of a pain in the ass having to go to the dealer a second time and trying to figure out I actually needed a trailer wiring harness if I was gonna tow and be SAFE about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts