Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here but been lurking for 4 years.
I'm in Central FL and own a 2012 RT with 37,500 miles on it

Been loosely considering the 17 but my experience with local dealer is ..:act060::act060:

My truck is very clean, bought it at this same dealership (and a CRV) with 1,600 miles on it, airbag was just replaced (yeah!)
got a small lift (Truxx) and 18" HD wheels, Clazzio leather seats covers.

I am not dreaming thinking that I'm seating on gold but the best trade-in or even straight purchase offer I got is $19,500.
When i see how much they ask for older/higher mileage models that are still under the airbag recall, I really think they are low-balling me big time.
I'm first to say that a vehicle is worth what one is willing to give you but if it's today's market reality, I guess the G1 will stay with me until it dies.

Any thoughts/experiences on trade values that some here would not mind sharing? (I understand this could be through PM to keep some confidentiality)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Have you gone to KBB or Edmunds and ran either of those appraisals? A quick check and I found if your listing it correctly they are $1000 to $1200 low, not horrible. Another option would be go to CarMax and they will give a written appraisal good for a week. Many Dealers have been willing to match that?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
According to several sources, the RL is one of the best resale value vehicles out there in that it keeps 74% of its value after three years on average. Your 2012 is a little older than that with slightly better than average mileage. You will never see any appreciation from the modifications you've made to the truck. When I plug the numbers into Edmunds, it's coming back with a $19,700 trade in price. The dealerships are pretty spot on. Also keep in mind that the more Gen2 trucks that are sold, the more likely the market will become flooded with Gen1 trade ins. That will lower the value of the Gen1's in general. That $19,500 for a base model truck that is four years old looks pretty good to me, but I'd still like to see $20,000 if I were you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, it may be a regional thing but my RTL with 34000 miles was appraised at $27,160 cash money as a straight up sale to my local dealer last week!:surprise:

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Wow, it may be a regional thing but my RTL with 34000 miles was appraised at $27,160 cash money as a straight up sale to my local dealer last week!:surprise:
I would take that money and RUN. Edmunds states $23,750 in clean condition and $25,100 in excellent condition. Even then, no 4-year-old vehicle will be considered excellent. Seeing that you're in Butler, which dealership offered you that? They're crazy if they think they're going to sell that truck for a profit. The only thing I can think is they're holding back on discounting a new vehicle and showing you more for your trade to make you jump in with both feet. I'm sure your truck is in great condition, but it's simply not worth that much money.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
^^ With only 9000 miles on a 2012, I would expect you'd see $28-29k on a trade. It's pretty rare to find a four year old vehicle that has only been driven 2000 miles a year, though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
$25,574 is the value on KBB for trade on 2012 RTL with 35K miles for my area. Range $24,417 to $26,730

I'm shopping right now and $25K would be the minimum I'd take on a trade.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would take that money and RUN. Edmunds states $23,750 in clean condition and $25,100 in excellent condition. Even then, no 4-year-old vehicle will be considered excellent. Seeing that you're in Butler, which dealership offered you that? They're crazy if they think they're going to sell that truck for a profit. The only thing I can think is they're holding back on discounting a new vehicle and showing you more for your trade to make you jump in with both feet. I'm sure your truck is in great condition, but it's simply not worth that much money.
Believe me, I thought about it but just couldn't think of anything that I'd want to buy instead. :grin:

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Believe me, I thought about it but just couldn't think of anything that I'd want to buy instead. :grin:
Hop into a 2014 SE - that is... if you don't like the Gen2.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hop into a 2014 SE - that is... if you don't like the Gen2.
Darn Ian, I did, went all the way up to Erie to do it. The SE was just too stark inside for me. All that shiny black was a little off-putting. I like my charcoal black better, just a little softer feeling. Besides, it's paid for!

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Paid for - key term. I keep driving my old girl every day without any concern for a new daily driver. I change the fluids once every 10-12 months and put gas in it. That's it. Last year, the RL cost me $82 to maintain excluding fuel. $54 for the yearly inspection and emissions testing and $28 for a jug of oil and filter. This year may be much more expensive. Needs a tranny fluid drain and fill, a belt tensioner and serpentine belt. We could be talking over $100 here... ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is probably due to the need of 4WD in PA as opposed to not needing 4WD in FL. I'm sure it snows quite a bit there to have the need for 4WD.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Needs a tranny fluid drain and fill, a belt tensioner and serpentine belt. We could be talking over $100 here... ;)
Could be. I swapped my '06 in on the '12 before the belt came due. The service manager at Honda North scooped it up before it hit the lot.:act002:

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Could be. I swapped my '06 in on the '12 before the belt came due. The service manager at Honda North scooped it up before it hit the lot.:act002:
Serpentine belt - not timing belt. Did the timing belt several years ago at 110k miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What do you guys think about a '12 RTL w/tonneau, vent visors, 32,000 miles for $27,9XX from a dealer? Is that a good deal?

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
What do you guys think about a '12 RTL w/tonneau, vent visors, 32,000 miles for $27,9XX from a dealer? Is that a good deal?
I think that's a little below average asking prices. It really depends on where you are, though. A quick check of similar 2012 RTL's on Autotrader.com shows prices between $23k and $32k with most falling between $27k and $30k. Edmunds suggests that the retail asking price should be about $26,800. Just so you know, the tonneau and any other accessories on the truck mean absolutely nothing for resale value. Don't let the dealership tell you otherwise. If you can get it for $26,000, you're doing well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts