Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Have read about the problems in the 2007/2008 or so units: wiring problems, motor problems, and resistor/transistor problems.

Have NOT read anything about 2013 having the same problems... maybe we have not waited long enough for the problems to surface.

My 2013 a/c blower failed to blow about a month ago. I waited 10 mins, recranked, and it was fine. I chalked it up to a fluke.

Then it started acting up again a few days ago.

Then today, it has failed to start (when first cranked) about 6-7 times. If I ignore it and start driving, it will start blowing in about 30 seconds. I have a resistor/transistor module on order and a new blower motor also.

Any others with 2013 similar problems?

·
Premium Member
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
675 Posts
My mechanic did the switch-out and says the part pictured is definitely the drivers side air-mix control for regulating temperature. My drivers side went out and soon thereafter so did the one on the passenger's side more than 4 1/2 years ago. Absolutely no cold air would come out. Since replacing them, I haven't had a single problem with cool air or my AC. That was 71,000 miles ago.

For what it's worth. He also replaced my radiator July 26, and my AC is freezing cold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.

Of interest to all...

Mine is a 2013 sport w/ 105k miles. I do live in the south, so my blower probably gets used a lot more than someone elsewhere.

I pulled the motor out and replaced it. Easy 10-15 minute job.

I then tore down the OLD motor. Found some interesting evidence. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Background: Have worked on electric motors commercially for years. Large/small, ac/dc, brushed/brushless, single/three phase, and so on.

When I looked at the old motor. I noticed a TON of brush residue. It literally fell out of the housing in chunks. That black crap all over the workbench??? That's brush material. You could practically measure it with a teaspoon.

Short version:
Brushes are likely sticking due to residue piling up in the bottom of the motor.

Longer version:
1. Brushes still had good length on them.

2. Spring tension was good.

3. Commutator looked pretty rough. It had a shiny/good side and an oxidized/bad side.

4. Commutator surface was really bad. Was covered in grooves. Should have been smooth and shiny.

5. Brush holder was good. The noise filter capacitor fell out of the crimped slot it was in, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Opinion/suggestion:

I think Honda made a poor decision placing the brushes at the bottom end of the motor. Brush material gets in the housings and causes the brushes to stick.

I would immediately pull my blower out, thoroughly clean with compressed air, and reinstall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
675 Posts
Ok.

Of interest to all...

Mine is a 2013 sport w/ 105k miles. I do live in the south, so my blower probably gets used a lot more than someone elsewhere.

I pulled the motor out and replaced it. Easy 10-15 minute job.

I then tore down the OLD motor. Found some interesting evidence. Pics to follow.
Apologies. I somehow conflated your thread with elijahnow's thread "A/C & Heat Won't Work Thread". You are right: my fix in no way would cure your issue.

That said, seems like to nailed it. Great pics in your subsequent post.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.