Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I purchased a used 2013 ridgeline sport with 25 k. One day over the winter, it didn't fill up all the way. I thought t was user error. 3 months later and it still only gets about 18 gallons and the range after full up is 299-307. There is no check engine light. Some people say to clean out then breather tube for the tank but I have no clue where that is because the diagrams look like Greek to me. Pictures would help! Anyone know what this could be? Honda dealership had never heard of it. My mechanic had never heard of t. Clearly, this is real and I saw it happens to other cars. Could it be the level sensor in the tank? That would stink, since I assume someone would have to drop the tank to get to that. I'm very bummed that I have a problem like this after 5k miles. (30k total). Maybe I overfilled it once or twice? And if that were the case and something happened with carbon canister, wouldn't that make the check engine light go on? Help. :(

·
Registered
579 Posts
Honda techs should know about flooding the evap system and plugging the vent ports, usually caused from over filling.
In fact any half knowledge mechanic should know about gas vents as every vehicle has some type of evap vent system.
If they don't know, I would never go back.
The Honda dealer should be able to detect the angle of the fuel tank sending unit and compare it to the gauge level for starters by using the OBD2 port.
They should inspect the evap system and vent ports.
Sorry no pics, the RL is new to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't a check engine light be on if there was a problem with evap?

Anyone know a good mechanic in Hudson valley, NY?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would have them scan the truck.
A Honda shop can check the tank level and compare it to the gauge reading if you suspect fuel level issues also.
Ask them if they are able before wasting your time, they can do this easily via the obd2 port if they know what they are doing.
Also ask them for the cost of the scan and possible error code reading.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't even offer at dealership. Told me to make sure my cap was tight. Autozone said there are no codes currently. No alerts.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It may be a issue where your gauge reading is lower than the actual tank level.
Mine is opposite as I scanned it. IIRC my tank said 47* but my gauge was around 55*

One issue with a plugged vent is that you are not able to fill the tank very fast or it trips the pump handle.
If it's just a issue with counting gallons of gas it takes, it may be the reported angle I mentioned.

If it bugs you, have someone look deeper into it, if not, I would roll with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there's no easy fix for that? If I fill it slowly after it reaches its "Max", will I damage it? It is annoying having to fill it 70 miles sooner! It gases up perfectly fine but it just hits that point and stops.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Until you determine what the problem is, you won't know what to fix.
So without more detailed info of sensor levels; pressure checks; sensor test; etc, I can't recommend buying parts.

Even if you buy another vehicle with a bigger tank, you have to stop filling sometime.
Over filling has been known to cause issues with the evap system which will just cost you more money down the road.

Again, if it bugs you, have someone look deeper into it.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
How many gallons do you normally put in? I run mine until the gas light comes on & it takes around 18.? gallons to fill it up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had it take 21 before when I was really low. The range doesn't even show 300 at this point. Two months ago it was saying 370. Occam's razor would suggest that combined with taking significantly less fuel, there's something wrong, despite no dash light.

I fee like I've had to argue with everyone on why I want a car I purchased 3 months ago to run the way it did 3 months ago. :( this is not a subtle thing. I see people on other sites saying they had to clean out a clogged breather hose but I just have no clue where that is.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I've had it take 21 before when I was really low. The range doesn't even show 300 at this point. Two months ago it was saying 370. Occam's razor would suggest that combined with taking significantly less fuel, there's something wrong, despite no dash light.

I fee like I've had to argue with everyone on why I want a car I purchased 3 months ago to run the way it did 3 months ago. :( this is not a subtle thing. I see people on other sites saying they had to clean out a clogged breather hose but I just have no clue where that is.
Well you could always take it in to the shop (dealer or ??) & tell them you need them to "clean out the clogged breather".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They told me that they hadn't heard of it happening and that I should make sure the cap is clicked multiple time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Obviously they didn't want to help you from the sound of things.
Find another shop willing to help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not all dealerships care. Find another or call them back and ask if they are willing to help you.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is another pic with some good info ;)
Don't be fooled into thinking the evap can is higher than the gas tank. Look under the rear passenger door, drivers side, at the undercarriage.
You will see a frame/skid plate. This is the evap system.
Overfilling is bad.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Location with pics....Link

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,074 Posts
Usually when I let the gas light come on and fill up shortly after that, I don't get any more than 18 gallons before the pump shuts off. That light is to come on when there is approximately 3 - 3.5 gallons left in the tank. If you let it run REALLY low, you could technically get 21-22 gallons in a fill up, but you should NEVER let your tank run that low anyways. A good rule is to just fill up when you reach 1/4 tank - especially in the colder winter months. Also, keep in mind that the colder temps and winter blend gas is a killer for fuel mileage. The range estimator is likely adjusting for these conditions. I don't have a range estimator on my 07, but, with mostly short trips, I'm usually at 250-270 miles when the gas light comes on (if I let it get that low). In the summer, that goes back up to about 300 or so. As far as mpg, I see about 13.5-15 in the winter and 16-17 in the summer with my normal commutes. I will still see 20+ on the highway, though. If you're filling up when the light comes on, getting 18 gallons in the tank and going 300 miles or so, that is normal for winter. I would hold off on doing anything drastic until at least June or July when summer blend gas and warmer temperatures return. If your mileage goes back up to where they were when you bought the truck, you'll know it's normal. If they still remain low, address it with a competent dealership then.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Usually when I let the gas light come on and fill up shortly after that, I don't get any more than 18 gallons before the pump shuts off. That light is to come on when there is approximately 3 - 3.5 gallons left in the tank. If you let it run REALLY low, you could technically get 21-22 gallons in a fill up, but you should NEVER let your tank run that low anyways. A good rule is to just fill up when you reach 1/4 tank - especially in the colder winter months. Also, keep in mind that the colder temps and winter blend gas is a killer for fuel mileage. The range estimator is likely adjusting for these conditions. I don't have a range estimator on my 07, but, with mostly short trips, I'm usually at 250-270 miles when the gas light comes on (if I let it get that low). In the summer, that goes back up to about 300 or so. As far as mpg, I see about 13.5-15 in the winter and 16-17 in the summer with my normal commutes. I will still see 20+ on the highway, though. If you're filling up when the light comes on, getting 18 gallons in the tank and going 300 miles or so, that is normal for winter. I would hold off on doing anything drastic until at least June or July when summer blend gas and warmer temperatures return. If your mileage goes back up to where they were when you bought the truck, you'll know it's normal. If they still remain low, address it with a competent dealership then.
I basically said the same thing. 18 gallons is what you get when the gas light comes on.

If he's only getting right at 300 miles on a tank & putting 18 gallons in then he's in the 16.7 MPG's range. Which people do get in a Ridgeline. This isn't a high fuel efficient Prius. Some people get 20 mpg & some get worse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I just don't understand why my range was at 370 when I gassed up in October and my range says 295 now when I gas up. Seems like too much to be slight adjustment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts