Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new Sport has been making a funning noise when I stop sounds like groaning, the service manager thinks it is the same problem the Pilots are having with the power steering pump and bracket. Has any one else had this issue?

See TSB 13-016 Power Steering / A/C Compressor Noise

Symptom: A humming or groaning noise is heard at idle when the A/C cycles on.

Cause: When the AC compressor and the power steering pump run simultaneously, they sometimes create a natural harmonic that travels through the vehicle's body, which can be heard as a groan in the passenger compartment.

Corrective Action: Replace the power steering pump and power steering bracket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they kept my Sport for 3 days and had the Honda Rep look at it , they changed the pump and bracket and most of the noise went away but something is still making noise so it's back at the dealer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've noticed a similar noise in my 2013. It's not constant when the AC is on, very prominent when idling and in gear with brakes on. I tried to track it down under the hood and it seems to be when the second radiator fan comes on (left fan as you look in the engine compartment).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I checked under the hood and you do not hear the noise , only in the cab in gear AC and brakes on. This noise has been driving me crazy , I took everything back out of the truck on the chance it was something vibrating used a mechanic stethoscope under the hood, still have not been able to isolate the sound. Noticed it does get worst when the truck is hot. I think it's something in the AC system vibrating at just the right harmonic frequency.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am surprised Speed didn't pitch in on this. In one of my other threads, he says that routine PS fluid change is recommended, or PS will make noise.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I am surprised Speed didn't pitch in on this. In one of my other threads, he says that routine PS fluid change is recommended, or PS will make noise.
The OP and others are talking about 2012 and 2013 models. Warranty!!!!! No need for them to change anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Latest update, noise is now very faint and only occurs once in a while . It's been a few days and I have not hear the noise but its hard to tell since its pouring rain. Do not worry if its not fixed I will open a case with Honda .

·
Registered
781 Posts
Latest update, noise is now very faint and only occurs once in a while . It's been a few days and I have not hear the noise but its hard to tell since its pouring rain. Do not worry if its not fixed I will open a case with Honda .
Thanks Jerry, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dont think I've heard this in my '12 RTS. Are y'all hearing this when stopped like at a traffic signal or other? With AC on, foot on brakes?

I heard my AC fan(s) kick on/off loudly when I was stopped in my driveway or friends driveway recently.

I did put it in park both times so it was idleing. Emergency brake was on but I stepped out of cab both times. Guess I need to listen for it while I sit in the cab next time and just depressing the brakes while in gear maybe?

·
Registered
185 Posts
It happens to me when I'm sitting at a stoplight with foot on brake and A/C on. As soon as I left off the brake it goes away. I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing is the same as what's in the Pilot TSB Jerry mentioned in the OP. I'm going to leave the TSB here for future reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
It happens to me when I'm sitting at a stoplight with foot on brake and A/C on. As soon as I left off the brake it goes away. I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing is the same as what's in the Pilot TSB Jerry mentioned in the OP. I'm going to leave the TSB here for future reference.
I'm not sure that I understand the TSB. Do they replace the power steering pump with something different than what originally came in the truck? Or is it that some of the pumps were faulty?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the noise in my 2013 rtl /navi... whenever at a light in gear with the AC on...

I also noticed when I was looking under the hood and had my hand on the fender there was a noticeable noise/vibration when the fans were on. could the noise be from load on the alternator at lower RPM combined with the PS/fans on? a trio of harmonics??

I also notice that if I am stopped at a light the truck will make jerks or short movements like it is trying to move. I thought it may be due to being new and needing to break in but now suspect the alternator kicking in and out and sensors are dropping and raising the RPM slightly for a instance. the tach does not register anything though... maybe i'm just crazy...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the noise in my 2013 rtl /navi... whenever at a light in gear with the AC on...

I also notice that if I am stopped at a light the truck will make jerks or short movements like it is trying to move. I thought it may be due to being new and needing to break in but now suspect the alternator kicking in and out and sensors are dropping and raising the RPM slightly for a instance. the tach does not register anything though... maybe i'm just crazy...
Yep, I was noticing this same sensation recently in my RL. At stop lights, just very slight and not always.

And I know I'm crazy. ;>)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Latest update 9/6/13 : took it back to the dealer and drove with the service manager and Honda rep. They told me that the noise is normal , it's the compressor, when you stop the system does not Have as much air flowing over the Condenser So the head pressure bills up in the system. I mentioned the large amount of Pilot & Odessy owners with similar issues even after the power steering TSB was done and we are still not happy.

The SM & rep took a brand new Ridgeline off the showroom floor and we drove it and it made the same exact noise.

So what now , I still don't believe that the vehicle should make that noise, my 2012 CRV does not . The rep told Me that there is nothing else to do at this point he would report the issue to the tech line but this is a normal operating condition.

I don't wanted lemon law truck because what is the alternative it's the best truck out there but I am still not happy with the noise.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Latest update 9/6/13 : took it back to the dealer and drove with the service manager and Honda rep. They told me that the noise is normal , it's the compressor, when you stop the system does not Have as much air flowing over the Condenser So the head pressure bills up in the system. I mentioned the large amount of Pilot & Odessy owners with similar issues even after the power steering TSB was done and we are still not happy.

The SM & rep took a brand new Ridgeline off the showroom floor and we drove it and it made the same exact noise.

So what now , I still don't believe that the vehicle should make that noise, my 2012 CRV does not . The rep told Me that there is nothing else to do at this point he would report the issue to the tech line but this is a normal operating condition.
I don't wanted lemon law truck because what is the alternative it's the best truck out there but I am still not happy with the noise.
Thanks for the update! I was interested in your outcome because I believe I hear the same noise. I never gave it much thought till I read your OP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm going to call Honda and open a case The fact that they had to redesign the power steering bracket and power steering pump to alleviate the problem shows that there is a problem. Even if the say they all do this , all the defective ones did it also.
October 14,2013 spoke to Honda they say this noise is normal and they will not do anything else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts