Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

1st time owning a Ridgeline. I found one in Orgeon (i am in NorCal). Listed for $14,500 147k a Canadian import, all recalls done, with very good carfax maintenance record. Even have recent timing belt job done. Decided to drive up and check it out. It runs fine, just have lots of bad smoke smell from previous owner smoking. Undercarriage does not have much rust. I did research and found that the city which this RL was used in does not use salt, they use small rocks instead (car body has many little tiny rock chips).

So I made an offer and got it for $13,900, great price right? too good to be true?

Drove in back to CA and guess what, check engine light with code P0304. :(

So I took all spark-plugs out, they all look clean and look like brand new (used car dealer probably attempt to fix it)
I swap cyl 123 coil with 456 plugs, reset and check engine light still comes on, same P304 nothing changed. Usually happen during idle.
RL idle at around 700rpm, does feel a little rough. I unplug cyl4 to see if it make a diff, and it run even rougher.
Ignition coil look a bit off (3 in the 456 showing newer than 123 coils, seem like dealer attempted to see if coil was the problem by replacing 3 of them).
Pluggedin ODBII wifi adaptor (cheapo one) i had.

Short term Fuel TRIM Bank 1 = 3.1% Bank 2 = -3.9%
Long term Fuel TRIM Bank 1 = 2.3% Bank 2 = -3.9%

Went to local parts store and got myself a scope to listen to the fuel injector to see if any sound off (non did)
At this point I gave in and brought it to a mechanic to take a look at it closer, they called Friday and said it'll need a Valve adjustment, and recommend all coils replace because 3 is showing being inconsistent.

Ordered an OEM PCV Valve and replaced it (just for what the heck, original one look like it was never replaced).

Hopefully Valve adj is all it needs. Will update after I get the RL back and drive for a few days. I'll add some picture when I get it back.

Question: Carfax showing my RL is a RTL, but in the rear, it has a touring decal. Is touring a real trim for this model year?

Attached is the carfax I received. What ya guy think, should I bring it to Honda for other maintenance?

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
Touring is a Canada-only trim. The closest US trim was RTL. US CARFAX is for US vehicles - Canadian CARFAX if for Canadian vehicles. This is why it's not showing up as a Touring trim here.

You can also search this forum for "P0304".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update 1:
Got RL back from shop. They have done Valve and Gasket Adjustment and replace all sparks and coil. I drove it for about 100 miles everything seems fine so far. MPG is now back at around 18-19 highway and 17 local. I need to drive it for a couple more days to be able to smog it. Total cost for this job is $1006 parts and labor.

ODBII is showing 3 misfires pending codes, but I think this is from the first crank initially after they reset check engine light. After driving 100 miles, no new additional misfire pending code found.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 2:
So far so good, drove the RL for about 150miles in 2 days, no misfire detected. But there are 2 more diagnostic relating to Calatytic and Oxygen that need to process through the algorithm for me to go to the smog station. Look like the mechanic is spot on.
RL run smooth, and I no longer feel slight vibration during idle like before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts