Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any issues with the rear differential going out ? It makes a grinding noise when I accelerate I just had it fixed for the third time and my dealership can't explain to me why this is happening this is our first Honda Ridgeline and we have had it for a year it was bought new 7 miles on it when we got it now it has 19000miles on it and now it is grinding again . Anybody have any ideas to why this keeps happening?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Has anybody had any issues with the rear differential going out ? It makes a grinding noise when I accelerate I just had it fixed for the third time and my dealership can't explain to me why this is happening this is our first Honda Ridgeline and we have had it for a year it was bought new 7 miles on it when we got it now it has 19000miles on it and now it is grinding again . Anybody have any ideas to why this keeps happening?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Honestly, I don't think you really want to know "what is happening". If the dealer has diagnosed this as coming from the rear diff, and it has done it for the 3rd time, it's time to ask for (& receive) a new rear diff (VTM-4 unit). They shouldn't have any objection at all to getting this done for you on your new-ish, still-under-warranty truck. Just don't get stuck on them wanting to find out what's going on.... get the new unit & you'll be fine moving on down the road.

Just curious though, what "corrective action" did they take the previous 2 times it did this (& presumably quit afterwards)? THIS question is just a curiosity for future reference... thanks for your reply; but you should just focus on getting a new unit installed. Also, make sure they consider rear wheel alignment when all is said & done, if that's prescribed (which I think it would be?).

Lastly, the "new VTM-4 unit" solution presumes that this is in fact the cause (based on dealer's assessment). Keep in mind there is a transfer case & other things back there as well... all have bearings that could cause issues. So if they replace the diff (VTM-4) and the problem recurs again, they likely misdiagnosed and will have to check elsewhere (e.g. transfer case, wheel bearings, axles, etc.) for the problem.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
+1. You have one problem with your truck and three problems with your dealer.

It's possible that the dealer has not made a diagnosis, but is throwing parts at the problem in terms of what might be wrong. It would be even worse if you were not under warranty, as every attempt would be out of your pocket. At it is, this is out of Honda's pocket. Whether they are just making earnest attempts incorrectly, or racking up the billable repairs, this needs to stop in favour of an actual diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
You are approaching, if not at, lemon law limits in california.
Ditto this. 3 strikes and you're out in many states.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts